Center 76 Silsbee 74/FINAL

WOSgrad

2 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

Well, that'll probably be it for the No. 1 ranking.  And that's a little disappointing.  If we had won this one and showed well at the Dallas tournament we would have kept it till our last game.  I sure hope we get to play Center gain.  That would be a fabulous rematch.  And on a neutral court with everything on the line.

We wanna be number 1 after the second week of March 

2 hours ago, wosfan1992 said:

WOS is still in football season also. Never said anything about us beating y’all. You seem to be in your feelings because i said y’all were beatable ? SMH. Any who the tigers are still my favorite to win it all but it won’t be near as easy as last year. 

I think anybody is beatable that’s why they play the game. Just like you guys in football 

11 minutes ago, scoopno1 said:

One of the things that makes basketball so much fun is that it really only takes a few people to play the sport. I think it is realistic that two top notch players and a few role players who can do their job can win a state championship in 4A. Not many teams have ten or more players like Silsbee did last year. There are more than twice the number of basketball schools in this state that there are in football. Right now there are probably about ten teams that can win a state championship. There are at least ten who can beat anyone else in the state on any given night. 

It is pretty hard to repeat in basketball. This team has a chance but they must figure out how to play with six to eight players instead of ten or more. They must also figure out a way to replace Willie Jones. There are not many teams have a player of that caliber to come off the bench. 

I have seen a number of small schools (2A and 3A) that could play with or beat a team like Silsbee but it is hard for them to string together the six or seven wins that are required to advance all the way to the state finals. 

Well those 2A and 3A schools should make state right

6 hours ago, scoopno1 said:

One of the things that makes basketball so much fun is that it really only takes a few people to play the sport. I think it is realistic that two top notch players and a few role players who can do their job can win a state championship in 4A. Not many teams have ten or more players like Silsbee did last year. There are more than twice the number of basketball schools in this state that there are in football. Right now there are probably about ten teams that can win a state championship. There are at least ten who can beat anyone else in the state on any given night. 

It is pretty hard to repeat in basketball. This team has a chance but they must figure out how to play with six to eight players instead of ten or more. They must also figure out a way to replace Willie Jones. There are not many teams have a player of that caliber to come off the bench. 

I have seen a number of small schools (2A and 3A) that could play with or beat a team like Silsbee but it is hard for them to string together the six or seven wins that are required to advance all the way to the state finals. 

Last season's Silsbee team was a special team.  That's why I paid so much attention to them. I knew replacing Willie Jones would be a task.  What is Jay Bass status these days?   As for this team, well, it is good to get a wake up call early, rather than late.  It is hard to repeat as champions.  It is not impossible, but the teams that do it are some serious teams.

8 hours ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

You are going to make them mad with that statement. When they win back2back State Titles and a National Championship then we can talk about being Great. 

Your right! Silsbee is far from great but these kids work hard to graduate and go to college. Silsbee is a very good academic high school as well. 

18 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

So, what does Center have that allowed them to beat Silsbee?  Was it lack of bench production?  Lack of length and size?  Outcoached? I wasn't there, so this is a serious question...

I will say that the tigers have played 3 games in 5 days scoring 294 points not using it as an excuse or taking any thing from center who did beat Silsbee by 2 but I don’t think the tigers really gave a true fluent effort plus that was a 2 hour bus ride on a school night playing Friday,Saturday,and Tuesday I know they are young men but that’s a lot plus playing in east Texas on their court if they meet again I think the tigers will be ready for them next time with the Christmas break they will get back to a regular Tuesday and Friday rotation get back rolling through district this loss could have not happened at a better time they will get it together.

39 minutes ago, MBaller#1 said:

I will say that the tigers have played 3 games in 5 days scoring 294 points not using it as an excuse or taking any thing from center who did beat Silsbee by 2 but I don’t think the tigers really gave a true fluent effort plus that was a 2 hour bus ride on a school night playing Friday,Saturday,and Tuesday I know they are young men but that’s a lot plus playing in east Texas on their court if they meet again I think the tigers will be ready for them next time with the Christmas break they will get back to a regular Tuesday and Friday rotation get back rolling through district this loss could have not happened at a better time they will get it together.

So the reason behind it is just lack of effort?  Exhaustion?

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

So, what does Center have that allowed them to beat Silsbee?  Was it lack of bench production?  Lack of length and size?  Outcoached? I wasn't there, so this is a serious question...

It’s not the end of the world Silsbee just got beat foul calls was double easily but no excuse the kids have to adjust Joe Sigler don’t loose games and I’ve never seen him out coached the kids have to run the plays and if you ask me Silsbee needed this hats off to Center 

10 minutes ago, kingjames said:

It’s not the end of the world Silsbee just got beat foul calls was double easily but no excuse the kids have to adjust Joe Sigler don’t loose games and I’ve never seen him out coached the kids have to run the plays and if you ask me Silsbee needed this hats off to Center 

I know that it's no big deal and Silsbee basketball will move on, but I want to know what happened.  Still not getting an answer.  Because I know Silsbee is a better overall team than Center.  Just a big surprising that they lost.  

39 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I know that it's no big deal and Silsbee basketball will move on, but I want to know what happened.  Still not getting an answer.  Because I know Silsbee is a better overall team than Center.  Just a big surprising that they lost.  

Start off to laid back. Gotta have 5 dogs on the court for 4 quarters

24 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Silsbee had little to no answer for center's jaterious Evans and kaleb parks. Center did a fairly good job of beating silsbee's pressure without making too many turnovers. Center played 8 players, with the starters playing 90-95% probably. Both teams had a couple key players in foul trouble down the stretch. Neither team shot FTs very well, although center probably made more down the stretch, including the 2 that would eventually win it. I think Silsbee rebounded a little better, especially on the offensive boards, which puzzled me, since center has 2 kids down low at 6'6" and 6'7". I don't know the count for sure, but I think center had around 6 or 7 dunks to silsbee's 1...I think. Obviously this was my first time to see silsbee this year, but the majority of the offense they ran was just to spread the floor and let McCain, Bush, or Adams dribble/drive to the rack and either take a contested layup against the center bigs, or kick it to the 3 pt line. But the most of the time, Center was able to contest even the 3 pt shots

Silsbee is a dang good team. I'm sure they missed some shots that they normally make, as did center. Both teams made some very difficult shots too, though. As most of you guys have said, Silsbee will be just fine moving forward. 

After playing so many 5a-6a teams and they haven’t lost to a 4a or 5a team until last night maybe they did start off a little relaxed because they usually always come back and win games now I wasn’t there and not blaming refs at all but if the game is close and there at home then it’s going to be tough maybe the tigers didn’t think center was as good as they were advertise but center has quietly been winning a lot and getting to regionals themselves so maybe this was a trap game anyway the tigers had plenty of motivation last year and I quietly thank a certain district team for helping use win it all last year this loss is another motivation to get refocused they will be just fine.

26 minutes ago, Fighting Llama said:

Silsbee had little to no answer for center's jaterious Evans and kaleb parks. Center did a fairly good job of beating silsbee's pressure without making too many turnovers. Center played 8 players, with the starters playing 90-95% probably. Both teams had a couple key players in foul trouble down the stretch. Neither team shot FTs very well, although center probably made more down the stretch, including the 2 that would eventually win it. I think Silsbee rebounded a little better, especially on the offensive boards, which puzzled me, since center has 2 kids down low at 6'6" and 6'7". I don't know the count for sure, but I think center had around 6 or 7 dunks to silsbee's 1...I think. Obviously this was my first time to see silsbee this year, but the majority of the offense they ran was just to spread the floor and let McCain, Bush, or Adams dribble/drive to the rack and either take a contested layup against the center bigs, or kick it to the 3 pt line. But the most of the time, Center was able to contest even the 3 pt shots

Silsbee is a dang good team. I'm sure they missed some shots that they normally make, as did center. Both teams made some very difficult shots too, though. As most of you guys have said, Silsbee will be just fine moving forward. 

THIS is what I was looking for...  Thanks for that info....

Silsbee's lack of size was a concern coming into this year, I know.  But I agree.  The loss of the 2 dogs is probably what did it. Not too late for Silsbee to get into the championship groove...

Not having Bruce Newton, Michael Mccain and Calvin Tyler hurts. They may not have lit up the scoreboard on most nights, but their play is sorely missed. We need some lockdown defenders.

Boggles my mind how we can't get at least one decent sized kid to play the post this year,

Anyhow, there's no reason for them not to be motivated now. They know they can lose to another 4A team. A few of our players have talked the talk about how they know they're winning another state title this year. Time to make it happen.

I expect a solid showing in Dallas.

3 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

Not having Bruce Newton, Michael Mccain and Calvin Tyler hurts. They may not have lit up the scoreboard on most nights, but their play is sorely missed. We need some lockdown defenders.

Boggles my mind how we can't get at least one decent sized kid to play the post this year,

Anyhow, there's no reason for them not to be motivated now. They know they can lose to another 4A team. A few of our players have talked the talk about how they know they're winning another state title this year. Time to make it happen.

I expect a solid showing in Dallas.

I've asked Santa for a post, or at least a strong forward.  I'm not holding my breath though because I've been a little naughty this year.  Maybe somebody else should try.  It's not too late to Fedex a letter to the North Pole.

Watching people on the other side watch the Tigers warm up is fun.  They keep looking at the dressing room door in expectation of seeing the posts and forwards to come running out.  "That's not the whole team is it?  You say they are ranked No. 1 in 4A?  Seriously?  Where are the rest of them?" 

Let's face it.  We suit up 12 guards.  Okay, 11 guards and a small forward, but he looks like a guard.   We do have a couple of very nice sized guards.  And everybody on the team seems to have learned to play taller than they are to compensate.   It's really a blast to watch.  In the La Marque game Braylon Bush, all 5'6" of him, went over a much taller guy's back and blocked his layup!  Braylon got him with the body but he did block the shot.  That kind of thing is priceless.

Come to think of it, I'm glad the Tigers don't have much size.  I really am.  Cause if they did the whole season would just be formality.  It's much more interesting this way, there's some real drama.  If they had a true post it would be like, there's a basketball season with a bunch of games - then there's a playoff thingy - then the Tigers drive home with their championship trophy.   Ho hum.

Only real post they had last year was maybe Barnes who is there this year. Wilkie Jones at 6'6 had handles and 6'2 Mike McCain had handles. Of coure Harris at 6'3 was a guard. Silsbee needs to get better at the free throw line and defense. Defense, defense, and more defense. I don' see any dogs on that bench. I expect Newton, Tyler, and Sells to become the dogs on defense. They have it. Just need to pull it out of them. 

22 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Only real post they had last year was maybe Barnes who is there this year. Wilkie Jones at 6'6 had handles and 6'2 Mike McCain had handles. Of coure Harris at 6'3 was a guard. Silsbee needs to get better at the free throw line and defense. Defense, defense, and more defense. I don' see any dogs on that bench. I expect Newton, Tyler, and Sells to become the dogs on defense. They have it. Just need to pull it out of them. 

1. Jones last year wasn't no darn 6'6".  Lol

2. Harris was NOT 6'3".  Lol

3. Is there another Newton on the team?

4. Sells  knew he was going to have to be one of those 'dogs' this year going in.