I can admit I was wrong

CardinalBacker

2 hours ago, Reagan said:

Briles won 4 Titles in 7 years.  Only one since he's left.  Stephenville has 5 State Titles in 20 years.  Like Aledo, did Stepenville ALWAYS have the talent?  Or -- was it created through coaching?!  Personally I feel C. Thompson at WOS creates his athletes.  JMO!

i think god and their mamas and daddys - are doing the creating - T just guides them along

4 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

But are you watching God-given gifts or carefully cultivated talents? I’m not sure I could tell the difference. 

I think if one pays close attention you can tell if it's one or the other or both.  Watching the Newton game last night, I was watching the Middle Linebacker make plays.  I'm sure he has some talent.  But he was always in the right place at the right time.  That tells me he was well coached.

5 minutes ago, oldage football said:

i think god and their mamas and daddys - are doing the creating - T just guides them along

True.  If we are talking about a 6'6" 290 pounder.  But, again,  these certain athletes that you describe that their mommas and daddys create, are they only created in West Orange?  Why not any where else locally?  Maybe I should use another term instead of create an athlete.  Maybe I should create a football player.  As I see it, the Cartage coach creates player.  The Aledo coach creates players.  Art Briles created players.  Doug Ethridge won a State Title in New Mexico and won one and played for one at PN-G.  Ethridge created his players.  You look at the consistent winning teams and emulate them.  There's no shame in that! 

Is this thread still a thing?  You guys should all know, like most things in life, the answer lies somewhere in the middle. (I know Reagan, you aren’t a moderate kind of guy ;) ).   It takes talent to win championships, but Reagan is also right that the talent isn’t so superior at WOS that they should be the winningest program in the state.   That’s where Coach T and his staff comes comes in and they undoubtedly “coach those kids up.”  A lot.  

4 hours ago, Reagan said:

He's playing for his 3rd straight Title.  It's not about how many FBS players you have.  It's hard for me to believe that they win every year and they just so happen to have great athletes every year.  When in Vidor, PN-G and Nederland -- not that far away -- they can't replicate the same thing.  It has to be coaching ability.  JMO.  What's your take on it? 

If it’s not about players then the same coach should win the state championship every year.  Only one thing changes from year to year...and that’s the roster.  

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, RanchHand said:

Came across this thread just now while looking for something else. This was 5 years ago. WOS only had 3 returning starters and went to the SC game?  Interesting!

Indeed.  WOS was transformed overnight to a mediocre team.  And regardless of what some may think, that wasn’t the Jimmies and the Joes.  

30 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Indeed.  WOS was transformed overnight to a mediocre team.  And regardless of what some may think, that wasn’t the Jimmies and the Joes.  

From the post on here it sounds like a Coach, in this system - seen the success of this system - got the HC job and changed the system.  What happened to, “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”?

Hey, I’m just asking.  Not a WOS fan (except during playoffs).  And I really hate to see a dynasty breakdown.  Hope it can be fixed but it won’t be easy.

On 12/19/2017 at 12:44 PM, oldage football said:

fundamentals are taught dailey at WOS -- the only time I have ever seen Wos come out of the dressing room without pads on is picture day -- as soon as the pics are done  they go back inside and put their pads on for practice -- they are full pads on Thursdays - when most people do walk thrus -- They come out on Friday nite in full pads for warm-up - its the little things like that T has installed in them that matters - if you take care of the little things -- BIG things happen

I totally agree !! After watching them practice for the Silsbee game a few months ago.i knew then they were in trouble. I thought I was at a different school watching practice.

4 hours ago, Hagar said:

From the post on here it sounds like a Coach, in this system - seen the success of this system - got the HC job and changed the system.  What happened to, “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”?

Hey, I’m just asking.  Not a WOS fan (except during playoffs).  And I really hate to see a dynasty breakdown.  Hope it can be fixed but it won’t be easy.

If you have the answer please enlighten us. Bcz, I'm one that have asked coaches why haven't they at least try to go back to it.it wasn't gonna hurt anything.they were already given up almost 30 pts a game.trying to learn a defense that doesn't work for them.bcz,they don't have the althetes up front to do it.

3 hours ago, dj said:

I totally agree !! After watching them practice for the Silsbee game a few months ago.i knew then they were in trouble. I thought I was at a different school watching practice.

I watched 1 practice I think maybe after the Silsbee game and it was still 2 hand touch(sometimes it was blown dead before that) it showed every Friday too!

8 hours ago, dj said:

If you have the answer please enlighten us. Bcz, I'm one that have asked coaches why haven't they at least try to go back to it.it wasn't gonna hurt anything.they were already given up almost 30 pts a game.trying to learn a defense that doesn't work for them.bcz,they don't have the althetes up front to do it.

The answers are well above my pay grade.  Perhaps an active or retired Coach can enlighten us.  I’d think if someone gave me a well oiled functioning machine, I wouldn’t tinker with it, much less take the Ford apart and put in Mopar parts.

I really don't think WOS is in trouble.  The pedigree is there.  The coaches will look back and evaluate the past season and make the correct changes.  It still may be a little different vision from the past 2 coaches.  As long as the kids buy into it, they will be successful.  He has to have this.

On 11/16/2022 at 2:11 PM, RanchHand said:

Came across this thread just now while looking for something else. This was 5 years ago. WOS only had 3 returning starters and went to the SC game?  Interesting!

Very interesting!! Well, read what Hickman said on kogt interview. Smh. Sounds like excuses to me !! For him to do a season wrap up like that I truly believe he knows the situation here

8 minutes ago, A BUC 77 said:

I really don't think WOS is in trouble.  The pedigree is there.  The coaches will look back and evaluate the past season and make the correct changes.  It still may be a little different vision from the past 2 coaches.  As long as the kids buy into it, they will be successful.  He has to have this.

I'm for one that doesn't believe that.inexperience coaching and not teaching the basics.and can't make any adjustments.