Texas 10 Highest Paid HS Football Coaches

Raider24

8 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Apples and Oranges but I disagree with Ranger on why.  I would say Saban deserves it because he makes about 10% of the football revenue at Bama.  If you make a transitive argument with Surratt, Carthage would need to generate $1.5 million in football revenue.  I have no problem with a district paying a man what he’s worth in their eyes, but Saban’s agent has a fiscal argument.  At the high school level (and at Surratt’s numbers), it’s a completely different discussion.  

And in CFB, forget the deans (and I assume you meant to say university presidents or chancellors, not deans), the top coaches are the highest paid state employees period.  They make more than the governors. 

I agree with this and believe that it's exactly the same as it is with Saban.  Maybe no as far as salary compared to the money generated...but that's irrelevant.  Carthage is paying Surratt not only what they think he's worth but also paying him what it will take to keep him employed at Carthage ISD.   Maybe he is overpaid according to some but Carthage knows he's worth it.

State Championships cost money... if Carthage thinks they need to pay that in order to keep in as HFC then they have every right to.  It was the Sup's decision, approved by the board, that was elected by the people of Carthage.  If they want different they can change it. 

On 12/19/2017 at 6:48 AM, robanadana said:

This will never be the answer. Teaching like coaching should be performance based but teacher unions dictate their wages and benefits. Head football coaches are usually the ADs and considered administration. Assistant coaches (who also teach) wages are more in line with teacher pay. So, teachers can make more money if they do more than teach; i.e. coach, teach music, tutor, drive buses, etc., etc. It's just like any other JOB in the USA. My daughter has raised her salary by doing these things, continuing her education and moving up in the food chain. That's how it works.

Teacher's UNIONS.  No such thing in Texas. The state sets the teacher pay and then each school district can supplement if they chose

12 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I graduated with 2.67 GPA and a liberal arts degree. British Lit was my major and I have a minor in women’s studies. I also took four semesters of Latin. 

Nah.... I got my BBA in General Business and work about as many weekends as a teacher. I just get paid a little better, lol. 

And for what it’s worth, I learned a lot more about how to “do a real job” working alongside undocumented workers than I ever picked up in class. 

I don't know of many BBA in Business grads that have to work alongside undocumented workers.

Occasionally some degreed folks don't succeed in their degree field.

It is a shame that you cant use your degree and must work the same job as an undocumented worker

Explains how you only make a "little better" than a teacher

Have a good Holiday

26 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I agree with this and believe that it's exactly the same as it is with Saban.  Maybe no as far as salary compared to the money generated...but that's irrelevant.  Carthage is paying Surratt not only what they think he's worth but also paying him what it will take to keep him employed at Carthage ISD.   Maybe he is overpaid according to some but Carthage knows he's worth it.

State Championships cost money... if Carthage thinks they need to pay that in order to keep in as HFC then they have every right to.  It was the Sup's decision, approved by the board, that was elected by the people of Carthage.  If they want different they can change it. 

Exactly. The school board who is elected by the people is the one giving the raises ultimately. We have had some people that didn't like it run for the school board. Guess what, they lost. I have no problem with people saying we pay Surratt too much. We want to win, and have had a lot invested in the FB program. Look at the facilities if you get a chance. They will make some D1 colleges blush. But then also look at how much participation we have in football. We have 6a numbers with an enrollment of 794. We are carrying over 70+ kids on the varsity right now. Had 67 kids on the regular season roster. I think we had 130 out for 7th and 8th grade or something crazy. That's like 70% of the boys. This year we have 33 seniors on the team. That is a huge number for 4a teams. That is like 35-40% of boys still playing football in the senior class. That is worth a lot in my book. The lessons these boys learn on the football field will take them much farther then the lessons learned in a HS classroom. That just my opinion from my own personal experience. I know that's not always the case. 

1 hour ago, oldman said:

CardinalBacker

As a former teacher/coach I am appalled at the comments made by this individual.   Yes  this is America and everyone has a right to their opinion.  But to completely bash the teaching profession is way out of line.   People choose to teach for various reasons, but it is their choice.  For teaching to be viewed as a 2nd tier job is way off base.

Cardinal Backer..... if you have kids in school please by all means....withdraw them..... teach them yourself......   

Agreed.  Unfortunately, he is not alone in his view of teachers.  And it plays no small role in the shape public education is in in this country (not good).  

If I choose to chase my dreams and borrow to get a Bachelors in Art Appreciation, then strike out to provide the world with impressionist watercolors... good for me. But shame on me for complaining about my crappy standard of living that’s the direct result of the choices I made. 

You want to know who never complains? People who have had an actual job before they go into the teaching field. Those guys appreciate a cupcake job and realize that they have NOTHING to complain about. 

2 hours ago, Whoa said:

I don't know of many BBA in Business grads that have to work alongside undocumented workers.

Occasionally some degreed folks don't succeed in their degree field.

It is a shame that you cant use your degree and must work the same job as an undocumented worker

Explains how you only make a "little better" than a teacher

Have a good Holiday

Lol... the old days, my man. Unlike so many people today, I didn’t borrow my way through undergrad. 

The only undocumenteds I work with now are the ones I hire to work on my stuff. 

Merry Christmas to you, too. 

On 12/18/2017 at 1:20 PM, Reagan said:

Do teachers make that much?

You've answered many replies. Please, do one more for the sake of not ignoring inconvenient truths and not leaving a problem without a solution. Assign salaries in actual dollar amounts next to the following items and justify those numbers with respect to market demand(hiring competition), required skills and degrees, and parity of the quality of viable applicants for each role:

Superintendent - $

Principal - $

Assistant Principal - $

Teacher(Core Department Head) - $

Teacher(Standard Certified) - $

Teacher(Not Certified, Non-core) - $

Janitor - $

56 minutes ago, McLovin said:

You've answered many replies. Please, do one more for the sake of not ignoring inconvenient truths and not leaving a problem without a solution. Assign salaries in actual dollar amounts next to the following items and justify those numbers with respect to market demand(hiring competition), required skills and degrees, and parity of the quality of viable applicants for each role:

Superintendent - $

Principal - $

Assistant Principal - $

Teacher(Core Department Head) - $

Teacher(Standard Certified) - $

Teacher(Not Certified, Non-core) - $

Janitor - $

If the State gives money to districts (yes they do) then salary caps can be made.  I'll have to think about what caps those should be.  Remember, we are dealing with tax dollars, not free enterprise.   Just as a point of reference:  Do you work in the private sector?  Plus, not thinking a HC should be paid $155,000 is not ignoring inconvenient truths.  BTW:  I notice you haven't commented on the Carthage situation.  Apparently you are OK with it.

11 minutes ago, Reagan said:

If the State gives money to districts (yes they do) then salary caps can be made.  I'll have to think about what caps those should be.  Remember, we are dealing with tax dollars, not free enterprise.   Just as a point of reference:  Do you work in the private sector?  Plus, not thinking a HC should be paid $155,000 is ignoring inconvenient truths. 

I've no concern with salary caps or dispute with state funding allocation, so if ta ceiling is how you wish to express those amounts, do share. I appreciate the reminder of the subject matter, but it makes no difference; many public sector positions are not immune to broader market influences and trends. In some cases, they are even in direct competition with private employers. 

I'd like you to remember that your answer to my question of why HCs shouldn't be paid $155,000 was a rhetorical question regarding teachers' salaries, so I'm acknowledging that we ought to analyze the two positions on the basis of their equivalence and also in relation to other high paying roles within the system rather than opine on how those numbers make us feel when we look at them.

Let's focus on the substance and not my background, your background, red herrings, ad hominem, etc. 

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I've no concern with salary caps or dispute with state funding allocation, so if ta ceiling is how you wish to express those amounts, do share. I appreciate the reminder of the subject matter, but it makes no difference; many public sector positions are not immune to broader market influences and trends. In some cases, they are even in direct competition with private employers. 

I'd like you to remember that your answer to my question of why HCs shouldn't be paid $155,000 was a rhetorical question regarding teachers' salaries, so I'm acknowledging that we ought to analyze the two positions on the basis of their equivalence and also in relation to other high paying roles within the system rather than opine on how those numbers make us feel when we look at them.

Let's focus on the substance and not my background, your background, red herrings, ad hominem, etc. 

The salient point is:  How many teachers could you hire with $155,000?  Again -- priorities.  BTW, background does matter.  If you are paid with tax dollars then we do not have a center for discussion.  Someone that gets paid with tax dollars are always going to defend that side.  So, yes, it does matter. 

14 minutes ago, Reagan said:

The salient point is:  How many teachers could you hire with $155,000?  Again -- priorities.  BTW, background does matter.  If you are paid with tax dollars then we do not have a center for discussion.  Someone that gets paid with tax dollars are always going to defend that side.  So, yes, it does matter. 

This is not actually a real option.  Assuming that that entire 155K would be used to hire teachers is assuming that there will be no AD/HFC.  Because either way the school has budgeted for a head football coach.  But that's an administrative position that a school (with athletics) cannot be without.  So let's assume he should get paid what SeTx AD/HFCs get paid.  I think most around here are in the 70-90 range...But higher end (success/experience) ADs even in this area are in the 90ish range.  I think Scott Surratt has earned the right to be considered a high end football coach.  So pay him what high-end coaches make...90K.  That leaves 65K of what you're implying should be taken away to replace with teachers.  Hate to tell you 65K will get you 1 and 1/2 experienced teachers or 2 teachers with zero experience.  At a district the size of Carthage k-12...2 teachers isn't really going to make a difference.  Probably not even 2 teachers. 

It’s not really fair to compare the highest paid, longest tenured coaches (the HC/ADs) to first year teachers. 

In fact practically every Head Coach started out as a....FIRST YEAR TEACHER. But, through hard work, long hours, and a proven record of success, the young teacher has joined administration as an AD and is responsible for overseeing a coaching staff, budget, multiple sports programs, media inquiries, college recruiting, UIL oversight, scheduling with other programs, successful game planning, disciplinary issues, late night games, offseason workouts, after school practices, team dinners, film watching and dealing with booster clubs and parents. 

But we compare his salary to that of a 5th grade science teacher who works 8-3 m-f and updates her lesson plan every summer. 

It makes my head hurt. 

7 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I offered you to elaborate so we might better understand the foundation of your opinion and give it some weight. You cannot, or you refuse. Thus, your opinion is as worthless to this thread as our backgrounds are to the argument. There is truth in logic upon facts, regardless the source, and you have offered none.

Let's get back on track. Do you have those numbers yet?

You can argue the thing to death. How many kids would have dropped out of school in Carthage if not for the opportunity to play ball, how many families were attracted to Carthage by their successful sports programs? What kind of effect would a shrinking enrollment have on the school’s ability to add more educators?

Carthage is probably not even close to being a good example anyways, if you compare how little economic impact SCs have had on the bottom line at WOS. The simple fact is this.... Carthage prioritizes success in their athletic programs. Check out those Bluebirds they haul the team around in. They also have mega-bucks from taxes generated by mineral interests that exist in their ISD. In fact, my guess is that the budget pains they experienced last year were caused by a shrinking value on their mineral roll, just like most other ISDs that draw a large portion of their tax revenues from the oil and gas production. 

If those guys are serious about having one of the best football coaches in the state, then they have to be willing to pay him accordingly.... and apparently they are.  

45 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I offered you to elaborate so we might better understand the foundation of your opinion and give it some weight. You cannot, or you refuse. Thus, your opinion is as worthless to this thread as our backgrounds are to the argument. There is truth in logic upon facts, regardless the source, and you have offered none.

Let's get back on track. Do you have those numbers yet?

I can say a HC shouldn't make over 80,000.  A teacher, probably 60.000.  Principle. 90,000 and Superintendent 100.000.  I always relate to public and private sector.  Not many people in the private sector (not total house income) makes a base of  80.90.100,000 dollars.  So, really,  the public sector shouldn't either.  Just my opinion!  And the more I think about it all I've stated, except the teachers, may be too much.

5 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I can say a HC shouldn't make over 80,000.  A teacher, probably 60.000.  Principle. 90,000 and Superintendent 100.000.  I always relate to public and private sector.  Not many people in the private sector (not total house income) makes a base of  80.90.100,000 dollars.  So, really,  the public sector shouldn't either.  Just my opinion!

Wonderful! We started at: High school head coaches shouldn't make $155,000 because teachers' salaries aren't that high. Now we have: High school head coaches should make less than administrators and more than teachers, but top-end salaries should come down. 

I think that's much more agreeable. A few things to consider would be: If you take the AD role away from the HC and lowered them to a teacher's salary, how much would you pay an AD, and how would the combined total compare to a HC/AD combo salary? What is a reasonable ratio of HC/AD to superintendent pay, teacher to superintendent? Is this worth only a 33% pay increase over teachers and even pay with administrators with no teaching duties? Does enrollment, regional cost of living, or regional average family income change these numbers?

Looking at numbers across the state and the fact that benefits as a percentage of wages is generally the same between public and private, the answer would be that it will cost the district more to employ a teacher and an administrator than to employ an individual to do both. That holds true in Lake Travis ISD, which is the source of this wretched number. By your scale: HCAD/Super 80%(72% statewide), Teacher/Super 60%(40% statewide), Teacher/HCAD 75%(56% statewide). In Lake Travis ISD, HCAD/Super 41%, Teacher/Super 13%, Teacher/HCAD 32%. The biggest offender in this controversial example is not the coaches pay, rather the superintendent's pay($374,143) which would scale the HCADs salary to $300,000!

2 hours ago, Reagan said:

I can say a HC shouldn't make over 80,000.  A teacher, probably 60.000.  Principle. 90,000 and Superintendent 100.000.  I always relate to public and private sector.  Not many people in the private sector (not total house income) makes a base of  80.90.100,000 dollars.  So, really,  the public sector shouldn't either.  Just my opinion!  And the more I think about it all I've stated, except the teachers, may be too much.

Ok... it’s a good start. The only problem is that some areas have a substantially higher cost of living than others. Also, you have to consider the size and scope a school district. If you take a person capable of heading up a school district with say, 4000 employees, 12 campuses,  and a multi-million dollar budget, wouldn’t you expect their salary to be in the same ballpark as a CEO that managed a similarly sized company?

That was the problem that I had with Dr Thomas’s salary at BISD. It was the highest in the state, but BISD is nowhere near the largest ISD in the state. With testing results being so bad at that point, it would be like paying Suratt money to a guy that couldn’t make the playoffs. I’m all for paying somebody what there’re worth, but I don’t mind speaking up if somebody is making a killing for no apparent reason. 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Wonderful! We started at: High school head coaches shouldn't make $155,000 because teachers' salaries aren't that high. Now we have: High school head coaches should make less than administrators and more than teachers, but top-end salaries should come down. 

I think that's much more agreeable. A few things to consider would be: If you take the AD role away from the HC and lowered them to a teacher's salary, how much would you pay an AD, and how would the combined total compare to a HC/AD combo salary? What is a reasonable ratio of HC/AD to superintendent pay, teacher to superintendent? Is this worth only a 33% pay increase over teachers and even pay with administrators with no teaching duties? Does enrollment, regional cost of living, or regional average family income change these numbers?

Looking at numbers across the state and the fact that benefits as a percentage of wages is generally the same between public and private, the answer would be that it will cost the district more to employ a teacher and an administrator than to employ an individual to do both. That holds true in Lake Travis ISD, which is the source of this wretched number. By your scale: HCAD/Super 80%(72% statewide), Teacher/Super 60%(40% statewide), Teacher/HCAD 75%(56% statewide). In Lake Travis ISD, HCAD/Super 41%, Teacher/Super 13%, Teacher/HCAD 32%. The biggest offender in this controversial example is not the coaches pay, rather the superintendent's pay($374,143) which would scale the HCADs salary to $300,000!

I agree.  Top the Supers in at 100,000 dollars.  And that might be too much. 

5 hours ago, Reagan said:

So the Head football coach/AD at Katy should top out at 80,000?... And the Head football coach/AD at High Island should also top out at 80,000?...And a teacher at Allen High School should make the same as a teacher at Burkeville...And a principal..I think you get the point. You need to realize that some schools in this state have a student enrollment in the thousands and other schools have an enrollment of less than 100.  Think about that for a second and please rethink what you said.

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

So the Head football coach/AD at Katy should top out at 80,000?... And the Head football coach/AD at High Island should also top out at 80,000?...And a teacher at Allen High School should make the same as a teacher at Burkeville...And a principal..I think you get the point. You need to realize that some schools in this state have a student enrollment in the thousands and other schools have an enrollment of less than 100.  Think about that for a second and please rethink what you said.

Why not?  Is one teacher better than the other?  A teacher has always been in a profession where they love to teach and not so much for the money.  If the money is all they are interested in then they do the students a disservice.  As for as the coaches, it should be merit pay, as in private business.  I doubt the High Island would reach the 80,000 level.  If he gets that good, though, he'll be gone to other schools.  Coaches want to coach.  I'm sure the Katy HC would still be there at 80,000.  If they don't like it, they can go into private business and make all they want.  But, again, priorities! 

Let me put it this way:  The State gives money to school districts.  Which you and I help subsidize these massive salaries all over they State.  Now, what would happen if the State would cut off funding?  Massive local tax increases to keep this funding alive.  Would the local citizens now put up with paying HC's this amount of money knowing that the purpose of school is an education?  I don't think the citizens would be happy at all.  What say you?

I will give y'all some perspective. I am a coach and a teacher. During football season I work 7 days a week, 80 hr work week. During baseball season I work 6 days a week at about 65-70 hours a week. I work through most holidays due to coaching a sport that plays during that holiday time teachers have off. Summers I get 1 maybe 2 weeks off, other than that I am working camps that are unpaid to allow athletes to get better. The money made from the camps goes straight back to the athletic program for the kid's. I make 59,000 a year with 10 years exp. and work at a decent paying 5a school not in y'all's area. People say that teaching is an easy job but can't deal with their kid's for more than 30 minutes at a time. As a coach I spend more time with some kid's than their parents do. It is my job to shape that child and mold them into a good, productive citizen. I enjoy what I do, but man do I think about getting out of the profession because I have to deal with some parents and community members that are ignorant like some on this board. I make less per hour than someone that works at Hobby Lobby, and deal with some ingrates that say I should make even less. I usually like to read what you all say on here whether it be good, bad, or indifferent. So when you realize you work for a corporation that probably in some way receives federal funding i.e. tax dollars we can all start debating your pay and how easy your job is.

P.S. I also have a BBA is Business, came out of college and couldn't get a sales job because the market was terrible. I don't have a crap degree as some state.