Texas 10 Highest Paid HS Football Coaches

Raider24

4 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Gotcha.  And yeah I was talking about all of SeTx when I said "this area".  Which includes the Greater Houston schools...which (now that I look into it) pay quite a bit more than the Beaumont area...

My biggest problem is that school districts cap a teacher's salary after a certain number of years.  I think if a teacher is still a good enough teacher to teach that long then their salary should increase even after a certain number of years.  Maybe have contracts reviewed each year at a certain point...but don't stop the pay increase.  That's my opinion on that.

I'm with that.

Teachers collectively overestimate the value of their chosen profession.  

If teachers were paid their actual market value in an uncontrolled environment, most would starve.  No offense, but 8-3, M-F for 185 days per year just isn't worth the big bucks that everybody else with real jobs earns.  

I mean, you do have to buy some nicer clothes to wear in those air conditioned classrooms, but other than that, I don't get it.  

If somebody needs a raise, it's the janitor.  

39 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

If teachers were paid their actual market value in an uncontrolled environment, most would starve.  No offense, but 8-3, M-F for 185 days per year just isn't worth the big bucks that everybody else with real jobs earns.  

I mean, you do have to buy some nicer clothes to wear in those air conditioned classrooms, but other than that, I don't get it.  

College degree required, hours of grading and lesson planning that are to be done on own time, educate children, professional development training in summers, year by year employment, corporal punishment has basically been removed from schools so they have some awesome kids to deal with. Oh not to mention that the average college grad leaves college $25,000 in debt. Yep they are overpaid. Take a read on this link and then tell me teachers are overpaid.

This is the hidden content, please

22 minutes ago, Kegger said:

College degree required, hours of grading and lesson planning that are to be done on own time, educate children, professional development training in summers, year by year employment, corporal punishment has basically been removed from schools so they have some awesome kids to deal with. Oh not to mention that the average college grad leaves college $25,000 in debt. Yep they are overpaid.

Oh, please.... why would anyone CHOOSE to borrow money to earn a liberal arts degree? What good or service did you learn to provide?  Making sick people better? How to produce any type of good?  No.  "I plan to impart wisdom on a part-time basis."

Most effective teachers can easily grade their papers and do whatever lesson planning is required on their conference period.  Unless, of course, they'd rather hang around the lounge and gossip with the other teachers.  By show of hands, how many of us have an hour carved out of every seven-hour work day allocated for getting ready to do our actual jobs?  Most people with real jobs get in a jam for making too many trips to the bathroom.  

Maybe we could also talk about the pension plan, too.  

Teachers are like firefighters who work 7 twenty four hour shifts per month that largely revolves around polishing the firetruck and cooking spaghetti for the boys, but feel as if the rest of us are somehow putting a screwing on them.  

Want to make a real salary?  Get a degree that will support you in an actual occupation that requires full-time participation.  Year-by-year employement?  Is that kinda like when you go home one afternoon in late May and then show back up sometime in mid August but receive a check the entire time?  My J-O-B doesn't work like that, Susan. 

Many teachers do have “Real Degrees” that are capable of achieving them more money. However at some point in their life they realized that their lives were positively impacted by a teacher and decided that they would like to do the same. They do this at the expense of financial security that is available for them. Yes there are long periods where teachers are off. However they are not paid for that time. Those checks during the summer are their salary spread out over the year. Yes if their salary is not enough then they are more than welcomed to get a “Real Job.” Which btw many are doing. Do you know why teacher salaries are going up every year for first time teachers. Because teachers are not lasting. So the children of America are being taught by new teachers more and more. Lower quality teachers for more money than ever. That doesn’t hurt society at all. So don’t worry about the pension of teachers, many won’t teach long enough to get it. 

19 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I have tried to not comment on your stupid sports post

But the redneck bubba  post “real job” -well it took me till about age 40 to realize they are the real job. They teach us how to do a real job

i am curious what is your degree in? Please respond, I am curious 

*Mod edit- Language.*

2 hours ago, Kegger said:

Many teachers do have “Real Degrees” that are capable of achieving them more money. However at some point in their life they realized that their lives were positively impacted by a teacher and decided that they would like to do the same. They do this at the expense of financial security that is available for them. Yes there are long periods where teachers are off. However they are not paid for that time. Those checks during the summer are their salary spread out over the year. Yes if their salary is not enough then they are more than welcomed to get a “Real Job.” Which btw many are doing. Do you know why teacher salaries are going up every year for first time teachers. Because teachers are not lasting. So the children of America are being taught by new teachers more and more. Lower quality teachers for more money than ever. That doesn’t hurt society at all. So don’t worry about the pension of teachers, many won’t teach long enough to get it. 

I see plenty of posts about the miserable salaries that first year teachers earn. How about we post some salaries of 15 year teachers? 

I have a niece that could literally do anything she wanted.... she’s just that smart, tenacious, and charismatic. She always talked about wanting to be a pharmacist... even worked her way through college as a pharmacy tech. 

Somewhere along the way she caught the urge to teach. Her family was like, “are you sure? Teachers don’t make a whole lot of money,” to which my idealistic young niece stated that “money isn’t everything.” Wrapped up her degree, did a little student teaching, and started her career as an educator. 

Five or six years into her career, would you like to guess her favorite pastime? Griping about how unfair teachers’ salaries are. How her friends that became accountants, nurses, etc, are making so much more money than she is. Nurses work much longer hours, as well as nights and weekends.  Bodily fluids and contagious diseases are a constant threat.  Should teachers be paid as well as nurses? Teachers certainly don’t work as hard or long as nurses. What about young accountants or bookkeepers? 6 or 7 holidays per year and two weeks vacation if you’re lucky and the hours those guys put in during tax season is ungodly.  Should teachers be paid just as much as a first year accountant, despite the fact that the typical teacher will work so much less than a person in the accounting field? What about salespeople who tend to have higher average salaries. I mean, a car salesman doesn’t have a guaranteed annual contract like a teacher. If he/she doesn’t produce sales, his family won’t eat next month... not to mention working tons more hours including nights and weekends.

Going into education is settling for a second tier career for people who have set low expectations for their futures. 

2 hours ago, Whoa said:

I have tried to not comment on your stupid sports post

But the redneck bubba ass post “real job” -well it took me till about age 40 to realize they are the real job. They teach us how to do a real job

i am curious what is your degree in? Please respond, I am curious 

I graduated with 2.67 GPA and a liberal arts degree. British Lit was my major and I have a minor in women’s studies. I also took four semesters of Latin. 

Nah.... I got my BBA in General Business and work about as many weekends as a teacher. I just get paid a little better, lol. 

And for what it’s worth, I learned a lot more about how to “do a real job” working alongside undocumented workers than I ever picked up in class. 

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Teachers are like firefighters who work 7 twenty four hour shifts per month that largely revolves around polishing the firetruck and cooking spaghetti for the boys, but feel as if the rest of us are somehow putting a screwing on them.  

Want to make a real salary?  Get a degree that will support you in an actual occupation that requires full-time participation.  Year-by-year employement?  Is that kinda like when you go home one afternoon in late May and then show back up sometime in mid August but receive a check the entire time?  My J-O-B doesn't work like that, Susan. 

This guy ^^^^

Quit drinking the swamp water

8 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Do you think that Nick Saban should make the same salary as the Dean at the University of Alabama?

Apples and oranges. No, the Dean should make more. It is an institution of higher learning with the majority of the student body there for something other than athletics. 

For starters, athletics should be separated from academics in D1. It's a joke as it is. Let the NFL and boosters fund the athletic programs and take away any academic connection. Stop pretending to be something you'e not.

10 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Do you think that Nick Saban should make the same salary as the Dean at the University of Alabama?

Apples and Oranges but I disagree with Ranger on why.  I would say Saban deserves it because he makes about 10% of the football revenue at Bama.  If you make a transitive argument with Surratt, Carthage would need to generate $1.5 million in football revenue.  I have no problem with a district paying a man what he’s worth in their eyes, but Saban’s agent has a fiscal argument.  At the high school level (and at Surratt’s numbers), it’s a completely different discussion.  

And in CFB, forget the deans (and I assume you meant to say university presidents or chancellors, not deans), the top coaches are the highest paid state employees period.  They make more than the governors. 

9 hours ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

Apples and oranges. No, the Dean should make more. It is an institution of higher learning with the majority of the student body there for something other than athletics. 

For starters, athletics should be separated from academics in D1. It's a joke as it is. Let the NFL and boosters fund the athletic programs and take away any academic connection. Stop pretending to be something you'e not.

You Sir are insane and asinine, College Football at places like Alabama, Texas, aTm and other such institutions pays for higher learning. Many programs outside athletics are funded in large part by the revenue and increased student population from Football. 

CardinalBacker

As a former teacher/coach I am appalled at the comments made by this individual.   Yes  this is America and everyone has a right to their opinion.  But to completely bash the teaching profession is way out of line.   People choose to teach for various reasons, but it is their choice.  For teaching to be viewed as a 2nd tier job is way off base.

Cardinal Backer..... if you have kids in school please by all means....withdraw them..... teach them yourself......   

48 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

You Sir are insane and asinine, College Football at places like Alabama, Texas, aTm and other such institutions pays for higher learning. Many programs outside athletics are funded in large part by the revenue and increased student population from Football. 

That, sir, is your opinion. 

Universities were fine and well prior to the rise of Big Time College Football/Athletics. Athletics are the main reason many students pay higher tuition and associated costs of enrollment. Schools like Texas A&M have been forced to lower entrance requirements in order to increase enrollment in order to increase their "revenue stream" so they can offset costs associated with playing with the Big Boys. A man cannot serve two masters. 

I love college athletics. However, what is being shoved down our throats today is a tarnished and glutenous mess. There is no reason that a college coach,who has failed, should make $10 million dollars to NOT coach your team. None. Nada.

Just drop the education component. Graduation at most major football school is abysmal. If it is not, they are pushing degrees in baseless, pointless programs (See North Carolina).Most guys are trying to leave early anyway (Kentucky basketball). Let's just stop the charade.

This is the hidden content, please