Texas 10 Highest Paid HS Football Coaches

Raider24

19 hours ago, Reagan said:

Schools are for teaching.  It would still go on without athletics.  In your response never once talked about the main purpose of schools.

You obviously have no earthly idea how many hours a HFC puts in on a yearly basis to his JOB. He may make over $100,000 a year, but he earns it. And I can guarantee you that if the HFC is making over $100,00 then so is the campus principal. And I sure don't see that Principal teaching any classes. Administrators make more money, that is the way of the economy. The longer you stay in any line of work, the more you move up the chain of command, the more money you make. Just like in the military, the grunts do all of the heavy lifting and make the least amount of money. The Generals have the six figure salaries. 

I knew quite a few guys on my team in high school that got diplomas because of having to remain eligible to play high school sports. Our coaches constantly checked our grades and stayed on us. Even out of season we were expected to pass. Those Coaches that can motivate the "Bad" kid to do his work when the rest of the teachers have made up their mind that this kid is not worth their time deserve ever cent and more. I know their are plenty of teachers that are doing their best and are in it for the right reasons. They try and reach every kid they can. However, some kids need that tough love of a coach to push the harder to reach kids. Beside we live in a Capitalist country. You want everyone to make the same? Move to a communist country.

We are living in the best state that takes a lot of pride in our High school football. So, naturally, our coaches are gonna get paid accordingly! 

Plus, working 7 days a week during the season and pulling late hours every night for practice, I think they earn it! As long as football games keep pulling in a crowd and makes the school money then I see no problem with it.

34 minutes ago, Kegger said:

I knew quite a few guys on my team in high school that got diplomas because of having to remain eligible to play high school sports. Our coaches constantly checked our grades and stayed on us. Even out of season we were expected to pass. Those Coaches that can motivate the "Bad" kid to do his work when the rest of the teachers have made up their mind that this kid is not worth their time deserve ever cent and more. I know their are plenty of teachers that are doing their best and are in it for the right reasons. They try and reach every kid they can. However, some kids need that tough love of a coach to push the harder to reach kids. Beside we live in a Capitalist country. You want everyone to make the same? Move to a communist country.

Indeed we do!  But, there's nothing Capitalist about paying people with taxpayers dollars. Basically on the contrary!  In the private sector I believe you can make all you want.  But, yes, we can dictate what people people make when one is dealing with tax dollars.  If one doesn't like it then they can move into the private sector and make a gazillion dollars if their worth allows.

Most Texas HFCs are also ADs...which is a school administrator.  Those guys are earning that salary so I have no problem with it.  And I think that teacher salaries are probably about where they should be as well.  Of course, they're all different dependant on the school district.  But teachers are probably pretty close to about what they should make..in my opinion.  Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I'm not saying that they don't deserve more $.  But a school district is treated like a business and probably should be.  Schools get funding based on property taxes and school enrollment/attendance.  Why should a teacher at a school that has a tiny enrollment, a low tax base, and poor attendance pay the same as a school with a huge amount of $?  That doesn't make sense.  If a teacher doesn't like what they currently earn they could always apply for a teaching job in a district that pays more.  I think most would tell you that schools that pay well entail a lot more responsibility and stress.  Or they might do something else to supplement their income.  Someone mentioned coaching, driving a bus, maybe summer school, etc..  I know that none may sound very fun but teachers don't work the entire year.  And AGAIN..not trying to rile any feathers...and I know I know most teachers do things during summer regarding their job...but they could find time to make more money if they really wanted more money.

Now I do think some schools are probably top heavy (admin salaries)...which could go to rising salary but I still don't know if it would be all that much considering the number of employees in a school district.  Even smaller schools. 

41 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Indeed we do!  But, there's nothing Capitalist about paying people with taxpayers dollars. Basically on the contrary!  In the private sector I believe you can make all you want.  But, yes, we can dictate what people people make when one is dealing with tax dollars.  If one doesn't like it then they can move into the private sector and make a gazillion dollars if their worth allows.

We do dictate what we pay coaches and teachers. We elect a school board and they approve these contracts. If the public felt as you did then they would elect someone that would say no to these salaries. You would also loose quality coaches and instead have people using your school as a springboard to a better paying job or a coach waiting on retirement. Either way your athletic program will go down the crapper. I believe people working in education are generally good hearted people that want to improve the lives of their students. But if you remove incentive to strive for success, you will stop seeing success achieved. 

16 minutes ago, Kegger said:

We do dictate what we pay coaches and teachers. We elect a school board and they approve these contracts. If the public felt as you did then they would elect someone that would say no to these salaries. You would also loose quality coaches and instead have people using your school as a springboard to a better paying job or a coach waiting on retirement. Either way your athletic program will go down the crapper. I believe people working in education are generally good hearted people that want to improve the lives of their students. But if you remove incentive to strive for success, you will stop seeing success achieved. 

BISD...

Teachers (coaches who teach included), do a lot of work that goes unseen. That put in extra hours on a daily basis as well as a lot of summer hours. They deal with a variety of different students from all different walks of life. 40k a year to teach is drastically under paid. It is why schools struggle to get quality teachers nowadays. What teachers have to do/deal with on a daily basis, for most is not worth the salary. But, I believe most schools pay their teachers what they can, and that is all you can really ask. Public Education is just not as big of a priority as it should be.

As far as coaches, I am cool with what they make. They are away from their families for 6-7 days a week for months at a time, depending on the time of year. Not to mention all that goes into it.

Educators in general deserve more than what they get, both from a respect and monetary standpoint.

43 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Teachers (coaches who teach included), do a lot of work that goes unseen. That put in extra hours on a daily basis as well as a lot of summer hours. They deal with a variety of different students from all different walks of life. 40k a year to teach is drastically under paid. It is why schools struggle to get quality teachers nowadays. What teachers have to do/deal with on a daily basis, for most is not worth the salary. But, I believe most schools pay their teachers what they can, and that is all you can really ask. Public Education is just not as big of a priority as it should be.

As far as coaches, I am cool with what they make. They are away from their families for 6-7 days a week for months at a time, depending on the time of year. Not to mention all that goes into it.

Educators in general deserve more than what they get, both from a respect and monetary standpoint.

There are a lot of school districts in the area that pay quite a bit more than that.  And I'm not talking about huge schools.  Even though the bigger schools start teachers at over 50K for no experience...increasing annually.  Tough as a single home income but if in a working married couple that isn't bad at all.  

4 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

There are a lot of school districts in the area that pay quite a bit more than that.  And I'm not talking about huge schools.  Even though the bigger schools start teachers at over 50K for no experience...increasing annually.  Tough as a single home income but if in a working married couple that isn't bad at all.  

Which local district schools start at over 50K? For just teachers?

8 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Starting Pay

Silsbee-  $36,770

Nederland-  43,500

Bridge City-  $36,770

LCM- $38,500

Lumberton-  $38,000

4 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Like all jobs in the US, salaries are dictated by demand. We need more welders than we do teachers right now hence welders start at $75K per year, teachers start around $30K in most districts. Most of today's generation believes I need to start out as the boss and I need to start at a huge salary...sorry, life doesn't work that way. Teachers get a lot of benefits other people don't and again, they are REPRESENTED jobs (union). Don't know too many educators who are on the poverty or even lower income list. You want to make a high wage salary you need to get into a high wage industry. Or, move to a communist nation where everyone is poor.

5 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Beaumont ISD starts at 45K  

This is the hidden content, please

Houston ISD starts at 52.5K  

Goose Creek ISD starts at 54K  

BH ISD starts at  52K  (as told by a friend)
Humble ISD starts at 53K  

Katy ISD starts at 52K 

Dayton ISD starts at 49K  

3 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Maybe those teachers need to get out of the Beaumont area.

Beaumont ISD starts at 45K  

Houston ISD starts at 52.5K  

Goose Creek ISD starts at 54K  

BH ISD starts at  52K  (as told by a friend)
Humble ISD starts at 53K  

Katy ISD starts at 52K 

Dayton ISD starts at 49K  

You are the one who said "There are a lot of school districts in the area that pay quite a bit more than that.  And I'm not talking about huge schools.  Even though the bigger schools start teachers at over 50K". That is not true. The only school considered this area you named was Beaumont and that 45, dead middle of my point and yours. I guess Dayton is "this area".

18 minutes ago, robanadana said:

Like all jobs in the US, salaries are dictated by demand. We need more welders than we do teachers right now hence welders start at $75K per year, teachers start around $30K in most districts. Most of today's generation believes I need to start out as the boss and I need to start at a huge salary...sorry, life doesn't work that way. Teachers get a lot of benefits other people don't and again, they are REPRESENTED jobs (union). Don't know too many educators who are on the poverty or even lower income list. You want to make a high wage salary you need to get into a high wage industry. Or, move to a communist nation where everyone is poor.

Many teachers and coaches are doing just that, they have been for years. I know many former teachers and coaches working out at the plants and making the money now. Public Education has lost quality teachers and had to replace them with "this generation" quality teachers who don't do near the quality of work teachers used to. Most people refuse to put themselves in debt actually going to college and doing the work, to not make enough to ever get ahead. 

2 hours ago, Reagan said:

Well, me Compadre, I would agree about Teachers.  But it was clear whom I was talking about is overpaid. 

Don’t think I was questioning that, kemosabe.

Also, I don’t think coaches are overpaid. Most have the same workload as teachers with obvious additional obligations. 

3 minutes ago, The Icon said:

Don’t think I was questioning that, kemosabe.

Also, I don’t think coaches are overpaid. Most have the same workload as teachers with obvious additional obligations. 

PE, Speech, ISS, DAEP, Career Devleopment,... possibly History. I am all for the coaches, as well for the teachers, but most coaches have a cushy teaching gig. Not all, there are always outliers, but there are very few coaches teaching Math, Science, English. I am with you though, I have no problems with what coaches make. If anything their football stipends are not enough when you break down the hours they put in during and out of season.

18 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

You are the one who said "There are a lot of school districts in the area that pay quite a bit more than that.  And I'm not talking about huge schools.  Even though the bigger schools start teachers at over 50K". That is not true. The only school considered this area you named was Beaumont and that 45, dead middle of my point and yours. I guess Dayton is "this area".

Umm... I listed several bigger schools that start out over 50K.  Do you know how many individual schools fall under Houston, Goose Creek, Barbers Hill, Humble, Katy, Dayton...ISDs?  And I just stopped after those.  ..yeah I think Dayton is considered this area.  Houston and surrounding areas qualify as Southeast Texas more than San Augustine, Jasper, and Newton...

Umm... I listed several bigger schools that start out over 50K.  Do you know how many individual schools fall under Houston, Goose Creek, Barbers Hill, Humble, Katy, Dayton...ISDs?  And yeah I think Dayton is considered this area.  Houston and surrounding areas qualify as Southeast Texas more than San Augustine, Jasper, and Newton...

That is fine. Our idea of "this area" was initially different. I was assuming for "this area" would mean close enough you didn't have to pack up and move. Or somewhere you could get to on a daily commute without getting up at being on the road for over 3 hours a day. My bad. 

6 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

PE, Speech, ISS, DAEP, Career Devleopment,... possibly History. I am all for the coaches, as well for the teachers, but most coaches have a cushy teaching gig. Not all, there are always outliers, but there are very few coaches teaching Math, Science, English. I am with you though, I have no problems with what coaches make. If anything their football stipends are not enough when you break down the hours they put in during and out of season.

Can’t disagree there at all, good point 

4 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

That is fine. Our idea of "this area" was initially different. I was assuming for "this area" would mean close enough you didn't have to pack up and move. Or somewhere you could get to on a daily commute without getting up at being on the road for over 3 hours a day. My bad. 

Gotcha.  And yeah I was talking about all of SeTx when I said "this area".  Which includes the Greater Houston schools...which (now that I look into it) pay quite a bit more than the Beaumont area...

My biggest problem is that school districts cap a teacher's salary after a certain number of years.  I think if a teacher is still a good enough teacher to teach that long then their salary should increase even after a certain number of years.  Maybe have contracts reviewed each year at a certain point...but don't stop the pay increase.  That's my opinion on that.