Texas 10 Highest Paid HS Football Coaches

Raider24

8 hours ago, Reagan said:

Why not?  Is one teacher better than the other?  A teacher has always been in a profession where they love to teach and not so much for the money.  If the money is all they are interested in then they do the students a disservice.  As for as the coaches, it should be merit pay, as in private business.  I doubt the High Island would reach the 80,000 level.  If he gets that good, though, he'll be gone to other schools.  Coaches want to coach.  I'm sure the Katy HC would still be there at 80,000.  If they don't like it, they can go into private business and make all they want.  But, again, priorities! 

Let me put it this way:  The State gives money to school districts.  Which you and I help subsidize these massive salaries all over they State.  Now, what would happen if the State would cut off funding?  Massive local tax increases to keep this funding alive.  Would the local citizens now put up with paying HC's this amount of money knowing that the purpose of school is an education?  I don't think the citizens would be happy at all.  What say you?

Are you serious?  Yes...employees at some schools deserve more $ than employees at other schools.  It is not only a lot more pressure and stress...but a lot heavier workload.  If all teachers at all schools were paid exactly the same then there would be no teachers at huge schools or inner city schools.  Those schools have to incentivize the job or else every teacher in the state would work at a tiny school and have class sizes of 10 rather than 30.  

1 hour ago, Gametime23 said:

I will give y'all some perspective. I am a coach and a teacher. During football season I work 7 days a week, 80 hr work week. During baseball season I work 6 days a week at about 65-70 hours a week. I work through most holidays due to coaching a sport that plays during that holiday time teachers have off. Summers I get 1 maybe 2 weeks off, other than that I am working camps that are unpaid to allow athletes to get better. The money made from the camps goes straight back to the athletic program for the kid's. I make 59,000 a year with 10 years exp. and work at a decent paying 5a school not in y'all's area. People say that teaching is an easy job but can't deal with their kid's for more than 30 minutes at a time. As a coach I spend more time with some kid's than their parents do. It is my job to shape that child and mold them into a good, productive citizen. I enjoy what I do, but man do I think about getting out of the profession because I have to deal with some parents and community members that are ignorant like some on this board. I make less per hour than someone that works at Hobby Lobby, and deal with some ingrates that say I should make even less. I usually like to read what you all say on here whether it be good, bad, or indifferent. So when you realize you work for a corporation that probably in some way receives federal funding i.e. tax dollars we can all start debating your pay and how easy your job is.

P.S. I also have a BBA is Business, came out of college and couldn't get a sales job because the market was terrible. I don't have a crap degree as some state.

You're the guy I'm supporting.  If you keep working the way that you are, at some point you have to expect to be a HC/AD at some school earning the big bucks.  Or you could have dug into your education while teaching, then working as an assistant principal, and ultimately earned a doctorate in education and joined the ranks of administrators making big bucks.  It's all about the path that you choose.  You could just as easily teach elementary school kids, drink wine in the evening and gripe about how teachers aren't paid enough.  

As far as working too much and being paid too little, I'll say this.  I watched my Dad struggle as a logging contractor growing up.  Being in the woods a hundred miles from home for workdays that start at daybreak meant getting up at 3 or 4 in the morning.  Not getting home until well after dark, and summertime just meant longer days in which to work.  Weekends were for patching up equipment and going to church.  He went broke, just like a lot of people who work really long hours.  It's easy to sit back and say "I make less than the people at Hobby Lobby" at which point I say "Go to Hobby Lobby, Chief.... they get Sundays off." 

If you're doing what you love, and it sounds like you do....suck it up.  There are a lot of things I'd rather be doing, but it doesn't pay what I need it to.  Just FYI, I actually got within 9 hours of having my certification to teach, but I realized that I would have to coach, drive a bus, and still work a shutdown or turnaround in the summer if I wanted to ever achieve the goals I had for myself.  

39 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Are you serious?  Yes...employees at some schools deserve more $ than employees at other schools.  It is not only a lot more pressure and stress...but a lot heavier workload.  If all teachers at all schools were paid exactly the same then there would be no teachers at huge schools or inner city schools.  Those schools have to incentivize the job or else every teacher in the state would work at a tiny school and have class sizes of 10 rather than 30.  

The ones complaining the most are typically the ones who work in comfy schools that tend to pay less than the higher paying schools in rough areas.