Refugio 63 San Augustine 21/FINAL

WOSgrad

The San Augustine Wolves look to punch their ticket to AT&T Stadium next week as they take on the Refugio Bobcats in this Class 2A, Division I State Semfinal!  Marty Murr's Wolves, 14-0 on the season, reached this round with a 55-6 bi-district win over Deweyville, a 39-7 area round win over Wolfe City, a 58-27 regional semifinal win over Price Carlisle and a 50-15 regional final win over Centerville.

Meanwhile, the Bobcats, 12-1 on the season, started their playoff road with a 57-0 bi-district win over Ben Bolt, a 47-13 area round win over Thorndale, a 70-29 regional semifinal win over Holland and a 38-14 regional final win.

Start time for the game is 7 pm at Cy-Fair FCU Stadium (Berry Center) in Cypress.

The winner of this game will face the Stratford/Mart state semfinal which is also being contested tonight.

Refugio appeared on my map back when the great Willie Mack Garza starred there. Then, a month or so ago, I saw a feature on their team on HBO’s Real Sports.  It was a story we are all too familiar with in some respects.  A story in which over half the team lost their homes due to Hurricane Harvey.  A story where those boys started sleeping on cots in a field house/weight room, along with their coach.  The same coach spent every waking moment not at work volunteering rebuilding his kids’ homes.  

And then there was a kid on the team who suffered what was thought to be an injury that would leave him paralyzed for the rest of his life.  Some months later, as he was wheeled through the run-thru by his teammates, he stood and walked to the sidelines despite his prognosis saying he never would. 

I tried to find a link to the amazing story but all I could find was this promo.  If you have HBOgo, etc, it’s worth a watch.  

I hated seeing the Wolves go down tonight.  But if it had to be to anyone, I am glad it was the Refugio Bobcats.  Hope those boys finish the job now. 

This is the hidden content, please