Hamshire-Fannett 27 Lumberton 75/FINAL

WOSgrad

14 minutes ago, Horn 3-5 said:

Wow!  A post about a one-sided basketball game runs into this.  A 4-A Div. II team playing a 5A team in a non-district game, trying to prepare themselves for a tough district, learning how to compete and adapt to adversity and we turn this into an opportunity to take jabs at a coach you don't like and are jealous that you can't do what he does, is pathetic.  After being down several key players due to various reasons such as injury, quitting, left school, and just about any other excuse you can think of, he is still a coach.  Not a magician.  He can't wave a wand and make everything better.  None of those reasons were a result of Coach Jacks either.  Don't care what you have heard, keep looking.  The real answer is there.  Ask some of the girl parents of the Lumberton team now why Jacks left.  They will proudly tell you they had a hand in it.  The old "Don't care if we are winning, my daughter isn't scoring enough." mentality is strong with some of them.  Or, niece for that matter.  This generation of "Helicopter" and "Lawnmower" parents is ruining the way high school sports is being played and coached.  I know everyone has coached little dribblers, little league, junior league, AAU, select, and whatever else kind and that makes all people sporting experts and gurus, and the guys that actually get paid to do it know nothing.  I get it.  Some of you are geniuses.  Why don't y'all coach then?  Let me answer that for you.  1.  You don't have a degree, judging by some of your spelling and dictation I am not surprised.  2. You can't afford the pay cut.  3.  You only want the job on Game nights, not everything else.  4. You may have to coach your own kid or another that acts like yours.  5. You have paid your kids entire life to have them take lessons from every sport "guru" around because you can't teach them yourself or you don't know how to.  6.  Someone may see through all the BS you have been laying on through the years and realize you weren't the stud you claimed to be back in the day.  Also, talking about how Jacks hollers and treats his kids, have you heard the coach on the Lumberton sideline lately?  I heard some O-Field parents had to put earmuffs on last week.  Just my thoughts.  I would love to sit down and talk sports with any of you experts if you would like to.   

Good post.

But, there are no divisions in basketball. ;)

My post has nothing to do with Coach Jacks.  It is in reply to some of the comments concerning yelling at players.  Every coach is going to yell.  I have never seen a successful coach never yell.  I think that the key point is that players will respond to coaches who yell with a purpose and know that it comes from an individual they look up to, respect, and knows that he cares for his players.  You can't compare high school players to that of college players.  For college players, playing sports is a job.  They are getting money of some sort (tuition, books, or lodging) in most cases.  For high school players, it is the pure enjoyment of the game, competition, and hopefully the family environment with your teammates and coach.  Some people made comments that coaches are there to win.  Incorrect.  At most schools, especially schools the size of HF, coaches are there to mold boys into men.  Most of those players are not going to play in college, so their high school days are preparing them to raise families.  Children today are a different breed.  If coaches aren't flexible to how players learn, then success will not be achieved and players will choose not to play.  That does not mean that coaches have to coddle players.  It means that they have to figure out how to reach players in different ways besides yelling.  

42 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Guilty.  And yes the only reason my opinion on this hasn't changed is that I see college coaches doing it the same exact way as it was done when I played in hs/college.  Even the younger college coaches.. Do you think Shaka Smart doesn't yell at his players?  I'm pretty sure he knows the game pretty well.  On staff at several D1 schools (including under Billy Donovan at Florida) before getting is start at VCU.  I think that ALL athletes should be held to the same standard as those on the highest of levels.  Obviously not at the same skill set...but I'd be proud to know that a high school kid is being treated the way Coach K treats his guys.  And again..nowhere near the same skill level.  But maybe these high school kids aren't being yelled at for missing shots or turning the ball over...but being yelled at due to lack of effort or repetitive mistakes that shouldn't be made.  I don't know because I don't attend any practices so I couldn't say one way or another why they're getting yelled at.  

Getting yelled at should be expected if/when the coach feels as though a player isn't giving maximum effort or making mistakes that they shouldn't make.  Even yelling with excitement.  Real basketball coaches are yellers...if you want to win you might better accept it.  Or don't.  it's whatever to me..

Again I have no problem with yelling and screaming as long as it is correcting a mistake, or lack of effort eric etc and trying to get the most out of your team. I did it in little Dribblers coaching my kids! It’s the yelling to intimidate that I don’t like or the getting in ones face and telling them they are a dumbass or an idiot etc etc. I have said all top level coaches yell and scream and I have placed my kids on teams with coaches that yell and scream, but they are yelling and screaming and making the kids better through the coaching part of it by educating them! I have had my kid screamed at and kicked out of practice because coach told them if they did what he just told them not to do he would send their asses home! Absolutely no problem with that at all!

11 minutes ago, catfever said:

My post has nothing to do with Coach Jacks.  It is in reply to some of the comments concerning yelling at players.  Every coach is going to yell.  I have never seen a successful coach never yell.  I think that the key point is that players will respond to coaches who yell with a purpose and know that it comes from an individual they look up to, respect, and knows that he cares for his players.  You can't compare high school players to that of college players.  For college players, playing sports is a job.  They are getting money of some sort (tuition, books, or lodging) in most cases.  For high school players, it is the pure enjoyment of the game, competition, and hopefully the family environment with your teammates and coach.  Some people made comments that coaches are there to win.  Incorrect.  At most schools, especially schools the size of HF, coaches are there to mold boys into men.  Most of those players are not going to play in college, so their high school days are preparing them to raise families.  Children today are a different breed.  If coaches aren't flexible to how players learn, then success will not be achieved and players will choose not to play.  That does not mean that coaches have to coddle players.  It means that they have to figure out how to reach players in different ways besides yelling.  

Amen!

3 hours ago, Horn 3-5 said:

Wow!  A post about a one-sided basketball game runs into this.  A 4-A Div. II team playing a 5A team in a non-district game, trying to prepare themselves for a tough district, learning how to compete and adapt to adversity and we turn this into an opportunity to take jabs at a coach you don't like and are jealous that you can't do what he does, is pathetic.  After being down several key players due to various reasons such as injury, quitting, left school, and just about any other excuse you can think of, he is still a coach.  Not a magician.  He can't wave a wand and make everything better.  None of those reasons were a result of Coach Jacks either.  Don't care what you have heard, keep looking.  The real answer is there.  Ask some of the girl parents of the Lumberton team now why Jacks left.  They will proudly tell you they had a hand in it.  The old "Don't care if we are winning, my daughter isn't scoring enough." mentality is strong with some of them.  Or, niece for that matter.  This generation of "Helicopter" and "Lawnmower" parents is ruining the way high school sports is being played and coached.  I know everyone has coached little dribblers, little league, junior league, AAU, select, and whatever else kind and that makes all people sporting experts and gurus, and the guys that actually get paid to do it know nothing.  I get it.  Some of you are geniuses.  Why don't y'all coach then?  Let me answer that for you.  1.  You don't have a degree, judging by some of your spelling and dictation I am not surprised.  2. You can't afford the pay cut.  3.  You only want the job on Game nights, not everything else.  4. You may have to coach your own kid or another that acts like yours.  5. You have paid your kids entire life to have them take lessons from every sport "guru" around because you can't teach them yourself or you don't know how to.  6.  Someone may see through all the BS you have been laying on through the years and realize you weren't the stud you claimed to be back in the day.   Just my thoughts.  I would love to sit down and talk sports with any of you experts if you would like to.   

I actually was impressed with both the varsity coach and the JV coach for Lumberton.  The varsity coach was teaching throughout the game and, sitting behind the Raider bench, heard and saw some quality adjustments to what was being thrown at them.  Both coaches were loud but I prefer a loud coach to one that sits there and does nothing or one that the kids can’t hear in a loud gym.  And the JV coach had one of the best lines I’ve heard on a sideline in quite some time (and one I will be stealing lol).  I won’t repeat it here (didn’t involve any profanity but I’m sure it wasn’t for public consumption and don’t know he’d want it repeated).  But we were rolling laughing.