Cop acquitted after executing unarmed man

PhatMack19

On 12/10/2017 at 10:57 AM, baddog said:

Haven't seen the blm remarks. This is a terrible incident and puts cops in a bad light. Don't think it is a national, everyday problem. The court system is the problem child here.

I disagree with the court system being the problem. If you want to do away with the right to trial by jury and our constitutional rights, feel free to say so. 

The court system indicted this officer and brought him to trial for murder. The state tried to prove that he killed a man without justification for self-defense. That is the system.  Not liking the verdict is not an indictment of the system unless you want to give up your rights as I said before. 

The officer has rights also and looks like he had a very good attorney.

On 12/11/2017 at 8:57 AM, baddog said:

Viewed the video again and he did reach for his waist. Not taking the cop's side because it could have been handled much better, but our problem watching the video is that we already know he was unarmed.

Oops! That little bugaboo of the facts when you see what the jury saw. 

On 12/12/2017 at 8:20 PM, Kountzer said:

I watched the video yesterday for the first time.  I thought about it all day, off and on.  Kinda scary.  

Very scary.  This wasn’t a guy that was resisting, or committing a crime but had surrendered or anything else like that. This was a guy that was going about his daily life and was innocent of everything.  He completely complied with what he was told, even though they were stupid orders, and had an unfortunate twitch the cost him his life. 

On 12/14/2017 at 0:42 PM, REBgp said:

Guilty?  Looks guilty from video, but I didn't hear trial testimony.  Did he have a right to shoot?  Jury thought so.  Should he have shot?  Doubt 95% of officers would have.  Even if it was a legal shoot, it wasn't a righteous shoot.  As JV Coach said, he probably ought to get in another line of work.  Jmo

According to FBI statistics, the police in this country make about 33,000 arrest per day.  That is going hands on and putting cuffs on someone. That does not include the many other thousands of incidents like this where no arrest would have been made but there’s no law broken but the police did not know that in the beginning. It had to be handled just as if it was a serious crime. 

With all of that, I would guess that this kind of scenario plays out a couple of times every day and no shots are fired. 

On 12/10/2017 at 10:10 AM, PhatMack19 said:

......  I would like TVC’s opinion on this.  Is it Normal police protocol to have someone crawl with their legs crossed and hands straight up in the air while being screamed at that if you make a wrong move you will die?

One officer only should be yelling command. Typically you should have an officer or two to move it in handcuffs that do not have guns in their hand. The cover officer(s) only should have a gun out. 

I have never seen a crawl toward me command. What I was taught and do is to face away from me with hands over the head and walk backwards toward the officers. Then have the person drop to his knees and cuff him from there. 

That was a cluster of (in my opinion) untrained and mentally unprepared officers. 

Murder.... as in (by law) the officer simply wanted to intentionally kill a guy that he didn’t know and not even sure if he had done anything wrong? No, I don’t think so. Fired and the city pay a substantial penalty? Absolutely.