PN-G or just football fans in general......

aki1994

Just a little historical chat for conversation. Also the 89 team season highlights are on youtube. My son will have a new favorite video to watch. 

How would you stack up the 1989 PN-G team versus the 2017 PN-G team? I had a long discussion with a good friend whose brother played on the 89 team and we agreed the 89' team would be too much physically for the finesse style of play we have now. 

Bost was a beast both ways. McGill would do his thing and Robertson was accurate with a big arm and line. On defense the 89' team had people that would hit (Carpenter brothers, Viola, etc) and some that played bat *bleep* crazy and would probably scare the piss out of the kids today (Binagia, Whitehead). The secondary with Bost, Gizzi, Droddy, Hart and Scott Young could hang as well so the wild card would be RJ. 

Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, FishingNDN said:

Don’t need to go back to 89.....PNG has had better teams under Faircloth than this 2017 team 

That is not the point. We were having a discussion about culture. 1989 to 2017 is a good generation gap and the question I posed to him was could the teams like 89' keep up with the spread offenses of today. So we dove down further and I wanted to get the boards opinion. Not for finger pointing or anything like that. Just some football talk for people who were there to see both. 

25 minutes ago, aki1994 said:

Just a little historical chat for conversation. Also the 89 team season highlights are on youtube. My son will have a new favorite video to watch. 

How would you stack up the 1989 PN-G team versus the 2017 PN-G team? I had a long discussion with a good friend whose brother played on the 89 team and we agreed the 89' team would be too much physically for the finesse style of play we have now. 

Bost was a beast both ways. McGill would do his thing and Robertson was accurate with a big arm and line. On defense the 89' team had people that would hit (Carpenter brothers, Viola, etc) and some that played bat *bleep* crazy and would probably scare the piss out of the kids today (Binagia, Whitehead). The secondary with Bost, Gizzi, Droddy, Hart and Scott Young could hang as well so the wild card would be RJ. 

Thoughts?

I know nothing about the '89 Indians, but the 2017 Indians would destroy them. Players are better these days. Coaches are better these days. That's just the way it is my man 

4 minutes ago, Uncle Pig said:

I know nothing about the '89 Indians, but the 2017 Indians would destroy them. Players are better these days. Coaches are better these days. That's just the way it is my man 

Ha. Good stuff. Maybe better at drawing up a 4 man WR play but some coaches still have't figured out that when you have two WR's to the left you should probably have 2 DB's covering them with a 3rd shaded over. 

Well. This is the truth and I would put money on this. 89 team wins easily. 17 team might not score. Droddy, Hart, Bost in the secondary. Robertson could throw, Ron would run for days. Whitehead would kill folks, and The Carpenter brother would give concussions. Gizzi would get twice the yardage as usual... Not even close. Ohh, and the coaching, would shut BF down... All you folk are guessing, I was there..... As well as PBF. Not a contest. BF still scratching hear a week later after DM slapped him.... MB on the defensive side, Crommet on the offensive side. DC was Fisher... Now lets hear some paddy cake. Any of you that played with me know what I am talking about..........

58 minutes ago, prepballfan said:

We can look back even furthur I have some 1975 State Championship clips at home as well

In no way could the 17 PNG hold a candle to 75 state champs  

1 the 17 team wouldn’t have the ball much. 2 think of the coaching staff

Doug. Bush. Davis. Nunez. Carswell. Clearman All hall of famers. THINK ABOUT that for a moment,  let it soak in. Then Troy and the other long time staff

i have the game video. You new it was over when Jack caught the ball Giblin blew up. Only lost 1 game in 75 and last game of 76 seasons 27 & 2

2 hours ago, prepballfan said:

Here is the last 2 minutes of the 1999 team another culture to look at

That’s what a good brothers suppose to say.

Only 11 years old at the time, I was at every game they played in 89.  On the sidelines for some of them.  

Like I mentioned, that A&M consolidated team was for real, and was led by an amazing QB much like your brother and only scored 31.  

The 2017 version would get beat down badly!