CYPRESS HOOPS INVITATIONAL/Post updates here!

WOSgrad

Silsbee is already off to a better start than last year. lmao And Silsbee has a leader in Barnes. And people already have doubts about the Tigers lol..  A few more games and the Coca-Cola in Dallas  Silsbee may are may not lose another game till the Championship game up their . We made it to the championship last year up their. Are we could take 1 are 2 loses who knows . We done Pretty good in the San Antonio tournament I would Say made it to Championship game . And for just getting the hole team back for the Cy Falls tournament I" would say they done pretty dang good their to. But after Dallas Silsbee don't lose another game. And go back to back Silsbee is" and are" the best most battle tested team in Texas in 4A.!!  Their not #1 in the state  for no reason.   #TigerNation :)

39 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

Yates.  So much can happen between now and then.  It would be a great rematch.  So would Argyle - that was a cliff hanger.  Do I want to think about all that right now?  

Anyway we have more immediate issues at hand.  The Tigers travel to Center to face the 5th ranked Roughriders on the 19th.  A long way to drive on a Tuesday evening for a December game but it should be interesting.  How many will venture forth?

Don’t drive up there for an evening game if you consider evening after 5,  at least by the schedule it’s at 4:30 As one of those holiday afternoon games.

11 minutes ago, Who That said:

Silsbee is already off to a better start than last year. lmao And Silsbee has a leader in Barnes. And people already have doubts about the Tigers lol..  A few more games and the Coca-Cola in Dallas  Silsbee may are may not lose another game till the Championship game up their . We made it to the championship last year up their. Are we could take 1 are 2 loses who knows . We done Pretty good in the San Antonio tournament I would Say made it to Championship game . And for just getting the hole team back for the Cy Falls tournament I" would say they done pretty dang good their to. But after Dallas Silsbee don't lose another game. And go back to back Silsbee is" and are" the best most battle tested team in Texas in 4A.!!  Their not #1 in the state  for no reason.   #TigerNation :)

I am not worried about my Tigers at this point.  I know we are still looking to find out who is going to fill the roles of those graduates.  Although they all had there roles and did great at them, the one we just don’t have is someone to take Jones place size wise down low giving us that second low guy with Barnes.  Devon is probably pretty close in that size part but not sure you can put him down there all the time.  

Now I hate to say it but that Dallas Lincoln team is playing a schedule that is right up there with ours, possibly even tougher.  

5 hours ago, bayou city 713 said:

Im a North Shore fan / native  ....but Ummm yes I was at the Houston Christian game and it was a competitive game ..they have several D1’s ..pg is going to A&M ...smart and exceptional pg play beats Yates when they lose .and bro I keep up and watch a lot of High school basketball ...with the exception of their loss nobody has come close to beating them , and this is with their coach tinkering in and out different line ups ...their stating guards are 6’0 6’3&6’4 one of their guards from last year hit a crazy growth spurt the Rubin jones kid....have you seen them play ? 

I'm a Silsbee fan, I grew up in Silsbee, but I live in Houston.  I've been here a minute or two.  I saw that Yates game with Houston Christian.  Yates got a long bench, about 17 players suited up.  Yates guards were fouling and mugging HC pg Sahvir Wheeler like he was walking down Scott at 2am with money hanging out his pockets.  Sahvir made Yates pay with a bunch on long backdoor passes for easy layups.  The refs let em play.  Will they call a closer game in the playoffs?  Probably.  Silsbee got some good guards.  I think they can handle all that.  I plan to watch some more Yates and Houston b ball games.  Much easier to get to than Silsbee games.  We shall see.

Yates will always struggle with very good to elite guard play because the back of that press is soft as a Charmin.   The other thing is, I don’t think I would press Yates no matter what.  They rely on easy buckets.  In offensive sets, it looked to me like they would just jack the first open look they got, volleyball line in.  Not saying there wasn’t a method to the madness but I couldn’t figure it out 

21 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Yates will always struggle with very good to elite guard play because the back of that press is soft as a Charmin.   The other thing is, I don’t think I would press Yates no matter what.  They rely on easy buckets.  In offensive sets, it looked to me like they would just jack the first open look they got, volleyball line in.  Not saying there wasn’t a method to the madness but I couldn’t figure it out 

Both teams live off pressure. Baring an huge upset this will be the game for the ticket to state. Hughes and Serialle are better this year but I think it's Silsbee that prevails because of their depth. Bush is a player!  If that game happens how many D1' s will be on the court? 

9 hours ago, Who That said:

Playing the best to be your best in March helps more than it hurts. Tigers confidence and mental toughness have been battled tested playing 5A and 6A best. Scheduling games and tournaments is each coach's prerogative based on his team's goals etc. Different routes are taken to get to San Antonio in March I realize...Good luck to all which ever way you travel/play to get there.....

1 hour ago, no-look said:

Both teams live off pressure. Baring an huge upset this will be the game for the ticket to state. Hughes and Serialle are better this year but I think it's Silsbee that prevails because of their depth. Bush is a player!  If that game happens how many D1' s will be on the court? 

Jock Hughes will hit a 3.  Hopefully Silsbee shooters can respond.  That is if they both make it that far.

2 hours ago, no-look said:

Obviously Mitch and Jock for Yates.  Jones as well I would think.   Not sure about the rest of their kids but they fill up the first few rows of the gym with their bench so I would guess at least one more i’m unaware of.  On silsbee side, not counting football (Barnes is a high D1 there), at least 3.  Could have another or two.   So minimum of 6 maybe as many as 10 or so.  

Thats a lot for a 4A game 

Yates does have problems with D1 elite guards it’s written in our history.  To Yates defense our transfer players were adjusting to our system.  Yates have played 5A Houston Madison,#18, 6A C.E. King, O.D. Wyatt (Forth Worth) and a few cancellations and Houston Christian. 

Yates and Silsbee style of play are similar, both live and die with the 3’s. I believe Yates has more athletic players and a deeper bench then Silsbee this year.  It appears that Silsbee also have problems with elite guards and low post players. If Silsbee isn’t hitting there 3’s, and scoring off of turn overs the outcome may not be a win (40 pts North Shore). 

District play for both teams will be a challenge to stay focus, but it should give the young players an opportunity to play. 

The road to San Antonio goes through Huntsville see y’all in March 2018

17 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

Yates.  So much can happen between now and then.  It would be a great rematch.  So would Argyle - that was a cliff hanger.  Do I want to think about all that right now?  

Anyway we have more immediate issues at hand.  The Tigers travel to Center to face the 5th ranked Roughriders on the 19th.  A long way to drive on a Tuesday evening for a December game but it should be interesting.  How many will venture forth?

The Center gym is very nice with the exception of the visitors side seating. Resembles a practice gym seating. Maybe four bleachers high compared to the home side with much more seating. They usually fill up the home side so seating may be a problem. I know several that are going that not affiliated with either team. 

4 hours ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

Yates does have problems with D1 elite guards it’s written in our history.  To Yates defense our transfer players were adjusting to our system.  Yates have played 5A Houston Madison,#18, 6A C.E. King, O.D. Wyatt (Forth Worth) and a few cancellations and Houston Christian. 

Yates and Silsbee style of play are similar, both live and die with the 3’s. I believe Yates has more athletic players and a deeper bench then Silsbee this year.  It appears that Silsbee also have problems with elite guards and low post players. If Silsbee isn’t hitting there 3’s, and scoring off of turn overs the outcome may not be a win (40 pts North Shore). 

District play for both teams will be a challenge to stay focus, but it should give the young players an opportunity to play. 

The road to San Antonio goes through Huntsville see y’all in March 2018

Yates may be the deepest and most athletic team I’ve seen this year in any classification.  

We have all known barring any big surprise this year that this region should come down to Silsbee and Yates and we aren’t rated 1 and 2 for nothing.  What I am trying to figure out is why a loss to a 6A North Shore has caused all this talking.  All year I have seen comments on how PA Memorial is the top team in the area or at least right there with is.  North Shore beat them by 19 the game before they beat us.  Maybe there is something I don’t know but just maybe that isn’t as bad a loss as some are trying to make it.  

1 hour ago, ST413 said:

We have all known barring any big surprise this year that this region should come down to Silsbee and Yates and we aren’t rated 1 and 2 for nothing.  What I am trying to figure out is why a loss to a 6A North Shore has caused all this talking.  All year I have seen comments on how PA Memorial is the top team in the area or at least right there with is.  North Shore beat them by 19 the game before they beat us.  Maybe there is something I don’t know but just maybe that isn’t as bad a loss as some are trying to make it.  

I don’t know who is trying to make it a bad loss but NS is a really good team, and superbly coached.   

11 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I don’t know who is trying to make it a bad loss but NS is a really good team, and superbly coached.   

Just folks that need to punch holes in Silsbee's armor to make them feel they have a chance. ;)

I do agree that this Silsbee team is not as good as last year's team but I still think they can beat any 4A team in the state and are the favorites to win the title.

Also remember this, some are talking about players being hungry. Well Silsbee has one particular player who is very hungry since he did miss half of district and all of the playoffs last year. ;)

Northshore won state not that long ago.  When you have a big school like that, with maybe 3,500 students or more and a good coach things can turn positive quickly.  They probably have 3 or 4 feeder middle schools.  Each one of those middle schools has a basketball program.  The chances of a couple of 6'7"s, and some 6'3"s, & 6'4"s, and some good guards flowing through there on a somewhat regular basis is pretty good, a lot better than at SHS.  

Same at Yates.  It's just a matter of a coach setting his net just right and catching some of that talent before Lamar, Bellaire, the private schools and the new academies lure them away.

1 hour ago, Kountzer said:

Northshore won state not that long ago.  When you have a big school like that, with maybe 3,500 students or more and a good coach things can turn positive quickly.  They probably have 3 or 4 feeder middle schools.  Each one of those middle schools has a basketball program.  The chances of a couple of 6'7"s, and some 6'3"s, & 6'4"s, and some good guards flowing through there on a somewhat regular basis is pretty good, a lot better than at SHS.  

Same at Yates.  It's just a matter of a coach setting his net just right and catching some of that talent before Lamar, Bellaire, the private schools and the new academies lure them away.

North shore has only two feeder schools. Cunningham and north shore middle ...Remember North Shore Its in the galena park district. 

On 12/10/2017 at 9:10 AM, JustUs said:

Playing the best to be your best in March helps more than it hurts. Tigers confidence and mental toughness have been battled tested playing 5A and 6A best. Scheduling games and tournaments is each coach's prerogative based on his team's goals etc. Different routes are taken to get to San Antonio in March I realize...Good luck to all which ever way you travel/play to get there.....

Silsbee will be fine you wanna be playing your best going into playoffs if you peak to fast you lose momentum. It’s early on in the season playing big schools and competing if people remember we lost to College Park right before district play and beat Woodlands by 1. We wasn’t peaking at that time but around the time district hit the second time around we was playing great ball and carried it into playoffs.