HARDIN-JEFFERSON MARATHON/Post updates here!

WOSgrad

1 hour ago, chorizo said:

I think Nederland should of went and played that tournament in Houston with all the big basketball schools,to me the better competition will get you ready for a tough district and a deep playoff run..playing better teams will make you better..

I don't think they just let anybody play in those tournaments...

1 hour ago, chorizo said:

I think Nederland should of went and played that tournament in Houston with all the big basketball schools,to me the better competition will get you ready for a tough district and a deep playoff run..playing better teams will make you better..

You have to keep in mind that this team has 2 returning starters from last year on a 4th place team in district. Only 4 letterman returning. One of those starters/lettermen was a Freshman last year. Young teams like this need confidence to thrive early in the year to prepare them for district. Basketball is a 60% mental game/40% talent, IMO. These kids can gain confidence by winning and that confidence can go a long ways once district begins. Had This team played in a HOUSTON tournament this year, it is likely they would have been 2 and done and depleted in confidence  

If this was a team from 4-7 years ago, I would completely agree with you. If you remember those teams from 4-7years ago played a lot of Houston area teams and played in ‘Bigger’ tournaments, competed, and beat a lot of them. 

17 minutes ago, Honest Abe said:

You have to keep in mind that this team has 2 returning starters from last year on a 4th place team in district. Only 4 letterman returning. One of those starters/lettermen was a Freshman last year. Young teams like this need confidence to thrive early in the year to prepare them for district. Basketball is a 60% mental game/40% talent, IMO. These kids can gain confidence by winning and that confidence can go a long ways once district begins. Had This team played in a HOUSTON tournament this year, it is likely they would have been 2 and done and depleted in confidence  

If this was a team from 4-7 years ago, I would completely agree with you. If you remember those teams from 4-7years ago played a lot of Houston area teams and played in ‘Bigger’ tournaments, competed, and beat a lot of them. 

I understand what your saying but gaining a lil confidence doesn’t guarantee anything.throwing em to the wolves every now and then can’t hurt either,,just my opinion!!!

15 minutes ago, Honest Abe said:

That philosophy might not prepare your players or give them confidence to thrive when they step on the court versus P.A. Memorial, Bmt. Central or Ozen in district. A couple losses to solid teams similar or better than your best district opponets will do more overall than wins vs. teams of less talent. IMO Iron sharpens Iron,ask Silsbee .  

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

4 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

As far as this area is concerned over the last few years, Silsbee has cornered the market on playing up.

NO DOUBT & there is no team they dont think they can beat or will back down from.    

6 minutes ago, chorizo said:

I think wagner beat Silsbee by 40 last weekend,bet it only makes em stronger..

4A Silsbee played Wagner again today & lost by 10 this time to one of the best 6A teams in the state. 2 losses to a team with talent they might not see till the state title game, IMO Silsbee gained more confidence & will thrive on teams in their district & the playoffs from those 2 losses.  

When you know you're going to slaughter everyone in the district...like Silsbee is going to do...then taking a couple butt whippings early on won't matter in the scheme of things.  But if the district is tough for everyone...Nederland...then you better make sure you get some wins and build confidence going into it so the kids at least know how to win.  Getting wins is better than being "prepared"...especially if you think it might be a struggle.

There's never been a coach in history go 0-25 but say "at least we had a tough pre-season schedule to get us ready".

56 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

When you know you're going to slaughter everyone in the district...like Silsbee is going to do...then taking a couple butt whippings early on won't matter in the scheme of things.  But if the district is tough for everyone...Nederland...then you better make sure you get some wins and build confidence going into it so the kids at least know how to win.  Getting wins is better than being "prepared"...especially if you think it might be a struggle.

There's never been a coach in history go 0-25 but say "at least we had a tough pre-season schedule to get us ready".

Nederland is doing the right thing for their kids this year. They're young. Next year I'm sure they step up a little bit. 

But that's not to say the teams they're playing are push overs. They're at or a few notches above the teams they have to beat to make the playoffs.  

Playing PA Ozen and Central twice will get them ready for the playoffs.

Lumberton / Tatum listed at 4 pm on MaxPreps. That would mean Lumberton lost to CH.

So far

Gold Bracket
HJ vs Aransas Pass, 7 pm
Huffman Hargrave vs Laredo Nixon, 2:30 pm
Nederland vs Chapel Hill, 4 pm
LCM vs PNG , 5:30 pm

Silver Bracket
Buna / Evadale winner vs Vidor, 7 pm
Hudson vs Shepherd, 2:30 pm
Tatum vs Lumberton, 4 pm
Pollok Central vs Buna / Evadale loser, 5:30 pm