What happened to D-FW this year?

Guest ECBucFan

3 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Just to play devils advocate, would it still not be a significant advantage to sleep in your own bed before the game, follow your normal routine, and then get prepared at your own school before a 30 min ride to the stadium (where you've already played several times) the day of the game?  as opposed to riding 5 hours the day before the game, sleeping in a hotel room (I sleep like crap in them), before getting up, holding meetings at the hotel, and then riding to the stadium?  As to your patriot comment, they would probably B**** plenty, as well as the rest of the league, if the NFL decided to hold the Super Bowl at Heinz Field every year.  

The normal routine would be to go to school on game day. Should we set up a makeshift algebra class for them to attend before they go? 

It is not that difficult. Of course everybody would rather play a home game every week. It is not possible. 

Ya'll act like the kids don't want to go there 95% of players still in the playoffs would vote to play at Jerry World. Wouldn't you agree?

6 minutes ago, dBerrySports said:

Teams in Texas should be more prepared than any other state I know to travel. Once the playoffs start, you're more than likely traveling every week from the first round through the state championship. Teams in the major metro areas in general don't have to travel much early on because they're usually playing teams from another part of that same metro area. Places like SETX, East TX, West TX (especially out there) and way down south are traveling like crazy pretty much from jump.

Home-field advantage plays a factor, to say otherwise seems silly to me. But these teams have to win 5 games just to get the HFA at state. Now, there are some teams that play at AT&T Stadium throughout the playoffs, just like the Alamodome and NRG. If you play there once or twice before state, you're used to the stadium and the little things about it.

89falcon seems a bit arrogant about DFW, but they do win. They have a lot of built in advantages that other parts of the state don't seem to have. HFA by itself won't win a game. But it is an advantage.

I don't know if it is arrogance or frustration. He has been going back and forth with some snowflakes on here for a few days now. 

1 hour ago, MackLewis said:

You tell me?  

A 5 hour bus ride vs a 30 minute bus ride?  Who has the advantage?

A  3.5 hour bus ride vs a 1 hour bus ride? Who has the advantage?

A team that plays in a certain NFL stadium 3 or 4 out of 6 playoff games, versus the other that plays there once a year, or may have never played there.  Does that make a difference?

You don’t think you that a team like Katy would have preferred to play at NRG?  Their home away from home..  these are high school kids.  You obviously have forgotten, or don’t have any.  And I highly doubt you’ve ever coached, and dealt with teenagers.

Why do I hear "Dueling Banjos" every time I read these posts? At what mileage break does the advantage kick in? 

25 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

What really matters is the NRG experience SUCKS!!! I would much rather make the 4 hour drive to AT&T than the 2 hour drive to NRG to play a game. 

AT&T takes care of the players, coaches, media and fans and creates a game EXPERIENCE.

NRG opens the doors and says "here you go, go play your game."

Amen brother!!!

48 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

What really matters is the NRG experience SUCKS!!! I would much rather make the 4 hour drive to AT&T than the 2 hour drive to NRG to play a game. 

AT&T takes care of the players, coaches, media and fans and creates a game EXPERIENCE.

NRG opens the doors and says "here you go, go play your game."

I've been to both and I got what I wanted out of each visit a good away to watch the game. Actually it was easier to get a good seat at NRG.  Sorry you had a bad experience at NRG but its a very good spot for all the events it holds including what it was built for. Football.

Might I ask. What was so bad?  If the stadium up north didn't have a star on it I'm not so sure everyone would be so awed by it.  I've been to plenty of NFL stadiums. They're all the same once you take a seat.

On December 18, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Tigers2010 said:

The normal routine would be to go to school on game day. Should we set up a makeshift algebra class for them to attend before they go? 

It is not that difficult. Of course everybody would rather play a home game every week. It is not possible. 

Ya'll act like the kids don't want to go there 95% of players still in the playoffs would vote to play at Jerry World. Wouldn't you agree?

And you act like the patriots playing a regular season away game is comparable to a high school team having to travel a long distance by bus to play a state championship game at a "neutral site" that is in their opponent's backyard, and where they've already played several games. I still haven't figured that one out.  As for your home game comment, of course everyone would like one every week.  Obviously that's not possible, but when the same programs from the same region are getting what amount to home games every year in what should be a neutral venue for a state championship, there's certainly a large amount of unfairness to the programs who have to travel.  That's not whining, it's common sense.  As for your last question, I think ALL of the kids left in the playoffs are more concerned with winning a state championship than the venue they win it in.  For those whose lose, I don't know that having gone to Jerry World is going to give them a whole lot of consolation.

I just saw the craziest thing on TV.  On Fox Sports Southwest they showed the 2008 5Ad1 state title game.  Allen vs Fort Bend Hightower.  The game was in Houston...and Allen won.  Personally I’m still trying to figure out how it happened.  There was obviously “Home field advantage” all over the game.  I know...it’s crazy.

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I just saw the craziest thing on TV.  On Fox Sports Southwest they showed the 2008 5Ad1 state title game.  Allen vs Fort Bend Hightower.  The game was in Houston...and Allen won.  Personally I’m still trying to figure out how it happened.  There was obviously “Home field advantage” all over the game.  I know...it’s crazy.

Think about how bad it is going to be this week. I have utilized the formulas of ECBucFan and Mack Lewis and found that Carthage has almost no chance playing a team that is a mere 15 minutes from AT&T Stadium. Based on the mileage gap it is highly likely that Carthage will commit "uncharacteristic mistakes". Manvel might as well not show up as they face a geographic disadvantage the equivalent of starting down 3 TDs. 

15 hours ago, bullets13 said:

And you act like the patriots playing a regular season away game is comparable to a high school team having to travel a long distance by bus to play a state championship game at a "neutral site" that is in their opponent's backyard, and where they've already played several games. I still haven't figured that one out.  As for your home game comment, of course everyone would like one every week.  Obviously that's not possible, but when the same programs from the same region are getting what amount to home games every year in what should be a neutral venue for a state championship, there's certainly a large amount of unfairness to the programs who have to travel.  That's not whining, it's common sense.  As for your last question, I think ALL of the kids left in the playoffs are more concerned with winning a state championship than the venue they win it in.  For those whose lose, I don't know that having gone to Jerry World is going to give them a whole lot of consolation.

Do they all still travel by bus? I would think they would be on charter buses at this point, at least for a State game? Shame on the school if they are not. And most leave the day before the game so they aren't traveling the day of the game. Idk, I understand the complaint, but don't see what much can be done about it. Somebody will always be closer to the stadium no matter where it is played. It has't bothered WOS. I just don't think it is as big a deal as some, but everyone has their opinion.

5 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Do they all still travel by bus? I would think they would be on charter buses at this point, at least for a State game? Shame on the school if they are not. And most leave the day before the game so they aren't traveling the day of the game. Idk, I understand the complaint, but don't see what much can be done about it. Somebody will always be closer to the stadium no matter where it is played. It has't bothered WOS. I just don't think it is as big a deal as some, but everyone has their opinion.

I was just thinking the same thing, WOS has ZERO problem with the travel. And I know Katy has waon at AT&T as well as Lake Travis and a slew of others.

Anybody who complains about this is just making an EXCUSE, but what do we expect, it is the nature of society.

11 hours ago, camsdad said:

It’s a good thing Newton stayed near Dallas last night. 

This is actually quite baffling. Brock is a mere 54 miles from AT&T. It is unimaginable that Newton could overcome such a geographic disadvantage. I am told that Brock made "uncharacteristic mistakes" yet they had a much closer drive into AT&T. 

We have received expert analysis from "Mack Lewis" and others that "uncharacteristic mistakes" are due to traveling more miles the day prior to the game. It is unclear if this only applies to Houston area teams? or when exactly this rule is applied?

On 12/22/2017 at 9:29 AM, 89falcon said:

This is actually quite baffling. Brock is a mere 54 miles from AT&T. It is unimaginable that Newton could overcome such a geographic disadvantage. I am told that Brock made "uncharacteristic mistakes" yet they had a much closer drive into AT&T. 

We have received expert analysis from "Mack Lewis" and others that "uncharacteristic mistakes" are due to traveling more miles the day prior to the game. It is unclear if this only applies to Houston area teams? or when exactly this rule is applied?

I’m sure Highland Park playing for the 4th time this year at Grandpa Jerry’s place was no advantage at all.  I’m sure the 5 hour bus trip by Manvel, and possibly sleeping in a hote room was just what Manvel wanted.

You want to be smart so bad, but in reality are a severe dumba$$!

• 5 weeks later...

Did more DFW teams win a state title than Houston area teams in 4A and above?  Buc, does the Houston area need some kind of air purifier down there so you will quit huffing the fumes from all of the refineries and chemical plants?  Way to try and make a point that blew up in your face.  If a Houston team is good enough to make the state game, just keep traveling to DFW and try not to make a point that back fires. 

Guest ECBucFan
On 1/23/2018 at 9:54 PM, inodis said:

Way to try and make a point that blew up in your face.  

Alright, hot shot, lets see;

2A-1 Mart over Refugio,  No D-FW team in final!

2A-2 Muenster over Teneha  No D-FW team in final!

3A-1, Rockdale over Brock, D-FW loses!

3A-2 Newton over Gunter, D-FW loses!

4A-1 Carthage over Kennedale, D-FW loses!

4A-2 Pleasant Grove over WO-S. No D-FW team in final!

5A-1 Highland Park over Manvel, Finally, D-FW wins one!

5A-2, College Station over Aledo, D-FW loses!

6A-1 Allen over Lake Travis,  Finally, D-FW wins another one.

6A-2 Cy Fair over Midway, No D-FW team in final!  

So, to sum it up, DESPITE PLAYING AT HOME, D-FW failed to win in 8 of the 10 classifications, if they made it to the finals at all. Of the 2 wins they got, one was a 2 point win by Allen after the LT QB went down on the first play and dropped the ball at the one, giving 7 free points to Allen. If the LT QB knee does not blow out, LT wins for sure. Allen was beyond lucky to win. Manvel had HP thoroughly beat, but let up in the last minute for a HP miracle win by 4. So, D-FW was within 6 points of being shut out entirely! 

It amazes me how some people here on SETXSports worship the D-FW teams at the holy alter of Jerrys World the way they do, enough of the slobbering adoration! Even worse is the insanity of believing there is no home field advantage for D-FW teams home games while opponents drive 4-5 hours by bus then sleep in a hotel. I don't know if its blind ignorance, willful ignorance, or just raw stupidity. Play these exact same games in Houston, San Antonio, Austin, or even Waco, and D-FW is SKUNKED IN 2017.

Sorry, but that just blew up in YOUR face. 

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

The other teams were that much better?

So, playing closer to home in a state championship game does not matter? Look, I'm a die hard Dallas Cowboys fan all my life. I've been to Texas Stadium, Astrodome, AT&T Stadium, and NRG Stadium. Texas Stadium will always be in my heart, the stadium with the hole in the roof so God can see his team play football. It was a great stadium, but it got old quick in the '90s. NRG Stadium is really nice, It's nicer than Texas Stadium and Astrodome but that's it, nothing amazing about it, nothing that you can say wow to. AT&T Stadium the most grandest stadium built. It is just simply mind boggling, inside and out. Everywhere you look it's just, WOS. Now, The Astrodome, there is nothing look like traveling along 610 loop and come over the overpass and see that dome stadium miles away. From the first time I stepped foot in side to the last time I stepped foot in side it always took my breath away. When you walked through the tunnel to go to your set and you looked up and around the stadium you had to take a second and wonder. This is what I remember about these stadiums. I know all the Dallas haters hate going to AT&T Stadium and they would want to play in cowdump stadium instead of there, but haters going to hate and that's no argument. The fact of the matter is any player will tell you it doesn't matter where we play a state championship as long as I'm in it. Now, would you want to tell people that you played it in Texas Stadium or The Astrodome, some great stadium names and lots of history. Would you want to tell them you played in AT&T Stadium, Jerry World, greatest stadium is every seen. Or NRG Stadium it was such a nice stadium. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/28/2018 at 7:05 AM, ECBucFan said:

Alright, hot shot, lets see;

2A-1 Mart over Refugio,  No D-FW team in final!

2A-2 Muenster over Teneha  No D-FW team in final!

3A-1, Rockdale over Brock, D-FW loses!

3A-2 Newton over Gunter, D-FW loses!

4A-1 Carthage over Kennedale, D-FW loses!

4A-2 Pleasant Grove over WO-S. No D-FW team in final!

5A-1 Highland Park over Manvel, Finally, D-FW wins one!

5A-2, College Station over Aledo, D-FW loses!

6A-1 Allen over Lake Travis,  Finally, D-FW wins another one.

6A-2 Cy Fair over Midway, No D-FW team in final!  

So, to sum it up, DESPITE PLAYING AT HOME, D-FW failed to win in 8 of the 10 classifications, if they made it to the finals at all. Of the 2 wins they got, one was a 2 point win by Allen after the LT QB went down on the first play and dropped the ball at the one, giving 7 free points to Allen. If the LT QB knee does not blow out, LT wins for sure. Allen was beyond lucky to win. Manvel had HP thoroughly beat, but let up in the last minute for a HP miracle win by 4. So, D-FW was within 6 points of being shut out entirely! 

It amazes me how some people here on SETXSports worship the D-FW teams at the holy alter of Jerrys World the way they do, enough of the slobbering adoration! Even worse is the insanity of believing there is no home field advantage for D-FW teams home games while opponents drive 4-5 hours by bus then sleep in a hotel. I don't know if its blind ignorance, willful ignorance, or just raw stupidity. Play these exact same games in Houston, San Antonio, Austin, or even Waco, and D-FW is SKUNKED IN 2017.

Sorry, but that just blew up in YOUR face. 

So the DFW area wins 2 state titles and the Houston area wins 1?  Your original point was that the DFW should not host the title games because they win less than the Houston area?  So, it looks like that BLEW UP IN YOUR FACE!!!!!   The only "HOUSTON" team is Cy-Fair.  If you want to claim regions, that might work out better for you in the long run.  Newton is so far East Texas, you might as well call it Louisiana.  So 1 win for Houston and 2 wins for DFW, looks like we DOUBLED you!!!!!!  When you have a point that is relevant, I might choose to listen.