What happened to D-FW this year?

Guest ECBucFan

1 hour ago, BearEssentials97 said:

That's the truth. 

Agreed. In keeping with the same logic and being consistent, Celina would have beat WOS in 2015. WOS had home field advantage playing at NRG (according to common forum logic). 

3 hours ago, MackLewis said:

Have you finished polling the coaches yet, Skippy?

I am about half way through contacting every coach in Texas. Looks like coaches in West Texas and the Valley are considering dropping out of UIL due to the unfair nature of games never being played out west or down south. All of the Houston area schools that are still in the playoffs plan to forfeit their corresponding state championship games should they meet a DFW school as they do not want to contend with the "home field advantage".  

7 hours ago, 89falcon said:

I am about half way through contacting every coach in Texas. Looks like coaches in West Texas and the Valley are considering dropping out of UIL due to the unfair nature of games never being played out west or down south. All of the Houston area schools that are still in the playoffs plan to forfeit their corresponding state championship games should they meet a DFW school as they do not want to contend with the "home field advantage".  

Wow!  You really work fast.  

Assuming a RGV or El Paso team are ever good good enough to make the state championship, I’m sure the 12 hour drive would have absolutely no impact at all, right?!

7 hours ago, 89falcon said:

Agreed. In keeping with the same logic and being consistent, Celina would have beat WOS in 2015. WOS had home field advantage playing at NRG (according to common forum logic). 

Common sense tells you it woulda been a much better game if the QB don’t get hurt 1st series.

And this discussion is silly, and pointless if team A is WAY better than team B.  If University of Georgia plays on the road at Oregon State, home field and travel might not mean as much in the final score.  They were gonna win regardless.  They travel to play USC, a team more evenly matched and the issues of traveling, playing 3 times zones away and everything else may make an impact.

But, it’s hard to talk logic to the south end of a north bound donkey.

Guest ECBucFan
18 hours ago, 89falcon said:

Just when you think someone can't make themselves look any worse, THIS ^^^ happens.

15 hours ago, MackLewis said:

Wow!  You really work fast.  

Assuming a RGV or El Paso team are ever good good enough to make the state championship, I’m sure the 12 hour drive would have absolutely no impact at all, right?!

Wrong. According to previous posters, DFW having twice as many teams in the Championship games is not a factor in winning State Championships. The only reason DFW has more is because of "home field". Getting to the title games has no relevance. 

15 hours ago, MackLewis said:

Common sense tells you it woulda been a much better game if the QB don’t get hurt 1st series.

And this discussion is silly, and pointless if team A is WAY better than team B.  If University of Georgia plays on the road at Oregon State, home field and travel might not mean as much in the final score.  They were gonna win regardless.  They travel to play USC, a team more evenly matched and the issues of traveling, playing 3 times zones away and everything else may make an impact.

But, it’s hard to talk logic to the south end of a north bound donkey.

Agreed. as stated previously, "home field" is only an excuse for the teams that lose. When the team wins, "home field" is a non-factor. When the argument fits the narrative of "WOS would have won" it is valid. If the narrative is "Celina would have won" the same argument it is not valid. 

DFW (TeamA) have been historically better than Houston, San Antonio, Austin, ETX (TeamB)  which is why DFW has more championships. You folks talking in circles arrive at my original point. 

On 12/8/2017 at 6:15 PM, Uncle Pig said:

I think it's safe to say that people across the state are somewhat jealous of the fact that DFW/East Texas teams are willing to pour tons of $ into their football programs. I've talked about this on here before, but how is it that there is 2-3 schools in setx area(Houston included) that have indoor facilities? We get so much wetter weather in this area of the state, but schools in the DFW/East Texas area regard football as a religion in that they have build indoor facilities like crazy. I have yet to figure out why we are so far behind the times down here. Maybe someone on here can explain it to me. 

A part of the reason DFW schools have the money and resources to have these facilities are  due to either the districts being in fluent areas or due to a lot their districts being single or two team districts..south lake Carroll is the only team in their district, Allen is the only team in theirs ...trinity has only one other school in their district...meanwhile in southeast Tx ..just think HISD, galena Park isd Beaumont district , Baytown isd ,and port Arthur isd can’t afford that ..then most  of the other major districts with money  in the Houston area are districts with multiple schools...katy , fb, cypress, clear creek isd  have almost 10 high schools .....humble, Pasadena , and Conroe all have at least 6 ....those amenities have to be available for all of the schools in the district to use.

3 hours ago, MackLewis said:

Lake Travis 21

Katy 7

halftime.

Game is in San Antonio.  Much more of a home field advantage for LT, but we’re suppose to believe that don’t matter.

No doubt. Defending State Champions would not have been able to win if the game was played 30 miles closer to Katy. 

11 hours ago, bayou city 713 said:

A part of the reason DFW schools have the money and resources to have these facilities are  due to either the districts being in fluent areas or due to a lot their districts being single or two team districts..south lake Carroll is the only team in their district, Allen is the only team in theirs ...trinity has only one other school in their district...meanwhile in southeast Tx ..just think HISD, galena Park isd Beaumont district , Baytown isd ,and port Arthur isd can’t afford that ..then most  of the other major districts with money  in the Houston area are districts with multiple schools...katy , fb, cypress, clear creek isd  have almost 10 high schools .....humble, Pasadena , and Conroe all have at least 6 ....those amenities have to be available for all of the schools in the district to use.

Agreed. DFW has stronger programs and plays a better brand of football with the rings to back it up. 

12 hours ago, 89falcon said:

No doubt. Defending State Champions would not have been able to win if the game was played 30 miles closer to Katy. 

If you think Katy plays that sloppy, inside at NRG, which is basically their 2nd home, you don’t have a clue about high school football.

I’m sure the 180 mile bus ride the morning of the game, played ZERO impact.

And I’m sure we will agree Manvel should beat the mess out of Highland Park.  But Highland Park playing at Grandpa Jerry’s castle nearly every week of the playoffs, and it being home away from home, has to be some sort of advantage...  

30 minute ride beats a 5 hour ride, except to you that is.

6 hours ago, MackLewis said:

If you think Katy plays that sloppy, inside at NRG, which is basically their 2nd home, you don’t have a clue about high school football.

I’m sure the 180 mile bus ride the morning of the game, played ZERO impact.

And I’m sure we will agree Manvel should beat the mess out of Highland Park.  But Highland Park playing at Grandpa Jerry’s castle nearly every week of the playoffs, and it being home away from home, has to be some sort of advantage...  

30 minute ride beats a 5 hour ride, except to you that is.

Agree 100%. It is almost certain that the film will reveal that Katy lost the game to the defending State Champions as a result of the mileage gap. Just so you understand, Katy is not 180 miles from San Antonio (about 168) and LT had to drive 92. Like I said, if it was played 30 miles further east (maybe in Seguin or Luling) Katy would have won.

You are also correct that Defending State Champion Highland Park would not be able to beat Manvel except for the advantage of geography. Hopefully, Manvel coaches are studying routes to Arlington and hotel accommodations so that they can even the playing field. 

I "don't have a clue about high school football", but thankfully you continue to proliferate your brilliance in this forum giving me hope for the future. 

3 hours ago, 89falcon said:

Agree 100%. It is almost certain that the film will reveal that Katy lost the game to the defending State Champions as a result of the mileage gap. Just so you understand, Katy is not 180 miles from San Antonio (about 168) and LT had to drive 92. Like I said, if it was played 30 miles further east (maybe in Seguin or Luling) Katy would have won.

You are also correct that Defending State Champion Highland Park would not be able to beat Manvel except for the advantage of geography. Hopefully, Manvel coaches are studying routes to Arlington and hotel accommodations so that they can even the playing field. 

I "don't have a clue about high school football", but thankfully you continue to proliferate your brilliance in this forum giving me hope for the future. 

Regardless of your smart aleck quips, you have no clue about TXHSFB.  You’ve shown that over and over.  You attempt comedy to cover up ignorance.

Manvel’s 5 hour bus trip is no big deal.  Hell, it’s as convenient and as simple as HIghland Parks.  Should play no impact whatsoever.

I’ve been to see Katy play dozens of times, and watched on TV several others.  What you saw yesterday was very uncharacteristic of Katy, and no ZERO to do with playing a 2016 state champ.

LT is a fraction as good as they were last year, so them winning anything last year was meaningless in yesterday’s outcome. LT was the better team in SA, and that’s all that matters in 2017, if the game was in  Houston, and the travel was flipped, there woulda been a much different outcome.

And your film study would have shown it, I’m sure of it.

17 hours ago, MackLewis said:

Regardless of your smart aleck quips, you have no clue about TXHSFB.  You’ve shown that over and over.  You attempt comedy to cover up ignorance.

Manvel’s 5 hour bus trip is no big deal.  Hell, it’s as convenient and as simple as HIghland Parks.  Should play no impact whatsoever.

I’ve been to see Katy play dozens of times, and watched on TV several others.  What you saw yesterday was very uncharacteristic of Katy, and no ZERO to do with playing a 2016 state champ.

LT is a fraction as good as they were last year, so them winning anything last year was meaningless in yesterday’s outcome. LT was the better team in SA, and that’s all that matters in 2017, if the game was in  Houston, and the travel was flipped, there woulda been a much different outcome.

And your film study would have shown it, I’m sure of it.

More brilliance. Do you suppose a team could make "uncharacteristic" mistakes when they play superior opposition? Just wondering how you reconcile that every team that ever lost in a State Semi-Final or Final in the history of playoff sports will have made "uncharacteristic" mistakes which contributed to their loss?

Specifically utilizing your expertise and football wisdom, how do you determine which mistake was related to geography and which were due to playing superior opposition? Also, at what mileage bracket does the advantage kick in? >20 miles? >30 miles? >40 miles?

Or does mileage only impact schools in your area or schools that you follow when they lose?  

This topic wear me out.

It comes up every year, and we hear the same old sad arguments.

All of the above is the correct answer.

Travel has an impact on the game, especially if the TEAMS are not taught how to travel, have not prepared for the travel time, don't have some plan in place that has been proven to get a team ready to play when they travel. This is called PREPARATION and is a part of the coaches job.

Quality of opponent has a HUGE impact on mistakes, always seems that here are more penalties and more turnovers when you play superior opponents, that is not a coincidence. 

The Dallas area has an advantage over South Texas because they have communities that have stayed independent and kept their "local" school boards and leaders in place. Frisco and Fort Worth area schools have followed the multi (4 or more) high schools in one District approach like the Houston area and have seen very little success.

2 hours ago, 89falcon said:

More brilliance. Do you suppose a team could make "uncharacteristic" mistakes when they play superior opposition? Just wondering how you reconcile that every team that ever lost in a State Semi-Final or Final in the history of playoff sports will have made "uncharacteristic" mistakes which contributed to their loss?

Specifically utilizing your expertise and football wisdom, how do you determine which mistake was related to geography and which were due to playing superior opposition? Also, at what mileage bracket does the advantage kick in? >20 miles? >30 miles? >40 miles?

Or does mileage only impact schools in your area or schools that you follow when they lose?  

You tell me?  

A 5 hour bus ride vs a 30 minute bus ride?  Who has the advantage?

A  3.5 hour bus ride vs a 1 hour bus ride? Who has the advantage?

A team that plays in a certain NFL stadium 3 or 4 out of 6 playoff games, versus the other that plays there once a year, or may have never played there.  Does that make a difference?

You don’t think you that a team like Katy would have preferred to play at NRG?  Their home away from home..  these are high school kids.  You obviously have forgotten, or don’t have any.  And I highly doubt you’ve ever coached, and dealt with teenagers.

49 minutes ago, MackLewis said:

You tell me?  

A 5 hour bus ride vs a 30 minute bus ride?  Who has the advantage?

A  3.5 hour bus ride vs a 1 hour bus ride? Who has the advantage?

A team that plays in a certain NFL stadium 3 or 4 out of 6 playoff games, versus the other that plays there once a year, or may have never played there.  Does that make a difference?

You don’t think you that a team like Katy would have preferred to play at NRG?  Their home away from home..  these are high school kids.  You obviously have forgotten, or don’t have any.  And I highly doubt you’ve ever coached, and dealt with teenagers.

Don't they leave the day before the game? Most teams aren't riding on a bus the day of the State Championship. How many times a year do players get on a bus? I am sure every team would prefer to play every game at home, in their home stadium. Any idiot knows, to win a championship, you are going to have to go on the road, and win a big game. Were the Patriots bitching last night when they had to go on the road and win in Pittsburgh in order to get the #1 seed? What a snowflake. 

30 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Don't they leave the day before the game? Most teams aren't riding on a bus the day of the State Championship. How many times a year do players get on a bus? I am sure every team would prefer to play every game at home, in their home stadium. Any idiot knows, to win a championship, you are going to have to go on the road, and win a big game. Did the Patriot bitch last night when they had to go on the road and win in Pittsburgh in order to get the #1 seed? What a snowflake. 

Just to play devils advocate, would it still not be a significant advantage to sleep in your own bed before the game, follow your normal routine, and then get prepared at your own school before a 30 min ride to the stadium (where you've already played several times) the day of the game?  as opposed to riding 5 hours the day before the game, sleeping in a hotel room (I sleep like crap in them), before getting up, holding meetings at the hotel, and then riding to the stadium?  I'm not sure how someone is a snowflake for suggesting it's not fair for one region to essentially get home field advantage in the state championship games EVERY year.  As to your patriot comment, they would probably B**** plenty, as well as the rest of the league, if the NFL decided to hold the Super Bowl at Heinz Field (or Jerryworld, for that matter) every year.  

Teams in Texas should be more prepared than any other state I know to travel. Once the playoffs start, you're more than likely traveling every week from the first round through the state championship. Teams in the major metro areas in general don't have to travel much early on because they're usually playing teams from another part of that same metro area. Places like SETX, East TX, West TX (especially out there) and way down south are traveling like crazy pretty much from jump.

Home-field advantage plays a factor, to say otherwise seems silly to me. But these teams have to win 5 games just to get the HFA at state. Now, there are some teams that play at AT&T Stadium throughout the playoffs, just like the Alamodome and NRG. If you play there once or twice before state, you're used to the stadium and the little things about it.

89falcon seems a bit arrogant about DFW, but they do win. They have a lot of built in advantages that other parts of the state don't seem to have. HFA by itself won't win a game. But it is an advantage.