BISD Votes to Merge Central and Ozen beginning in 2018-19

AshlyHasBeen

And I'm glad they are opening up the head principal and football coach positions.  I think those are the 2 most important positions in helping make things work when it comes to the merger.  I really feel if nothing else, these 2 positions should be filled by outside applicants just to insure no favoritism amongst staff and students.  The principal is will be over the entire student body and the head football coach will be over 100 plus boys.  These 2 positions can have the greatest influence on the student body, school spirit and the kids buying in.  And with football being at the beginning of the school year, along with volleyball, it is imperative to me, that they get the right man for the football job and get off to a good start for school spirit and the kids totally buying in.  Basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, track, etc. I think can be filled by in-house candidates and be successful and smooth. 

But if it comes down to Taylor vs Nelson, I have to go Nelson.  I know the Ozen faithful are going to say but Nelson has been in trouble with UIL.  Taylor is 3-15 in 2 years.  Nelson is 21-31 in 5 years, 4 years in which he was at Ozen and went 16-28, twice to the playoffs in which one was a 3rd appearance and he was 5-3 this past year at Central.

But lets see who puts in for $86,000...

1 hour ago, Jag Insider said:

And I'm glad they are opening up the head principal and football coach positions.  I think those are the 2 most important positions in helping make things work when it comes to the merger.  I really feel if nothing else, these 2 positions should be filled by outside applicants just to insure no favoritism amongst staff and students.  The principal is will be over the entire student body and the head football coach will be over 100 plus boys.  These 2 positions can have the greatest influence on the student body, school spirit and the kids buying in.  And with football being at the beginning of the school year, along with volleyball, it is imperative to me, that they get the right man for the football job and get off to a good start for school spirit and the kids totally buying in.  Basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, track, etc. I think can be filled by in-house candidates and be successful and smooth. 

But if it comes down to Taylor vs Nelson, I have to go Nelson.  I know the Ozen faithful are going to say but Nelson has been in trouble with UIL.  Taylor is 3-15 in 2 years.  Nelson is 21-31 in 5 years, 4 years in which he was at Ozen and went 16-28, twice to the playoffs in which one was a 3rd appearance and he was 5-3 this past year at Central.

But lets see who puts in for $86,000...

Its only 86,000??

It didnt say BISD would only pay 86,000 just talked about salaries around the State..

I can tell you one thing if its under $95,000 alot of coaches wont be applying. Like someone else stated just take the money you would give to Central coaches and split it among the two schools between Head and assistant coaches. 

If it is in fact around that number of $86k idk how BISD expects to compete for good coaches and if we do get one he'll gone after 2-3 successful seasons 

3 hours ago, Jag Insider said:

I thought I posted that somewhere last week but I guess I didn't.

I know that you did. I wasn't breaking any news. Just posted the article which also stated that all admin positions would be open as well. That hadn't been stated. Article also stated that all teachers currently employed will remain employed. Very interested in seeing how that happens

7 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

I know currently it’s 86k but is BISD not splitting up the third salary into WB and the new school? And making it a respectful 6a school salary? 

But they can't do that because the current HC's aren't losing their jobs and they don't plan on giving demotions.  From y understanding, the coaches will keep their same pay no matter where they're going to be positioned in the district...

4 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

But they can't do that because the current HC's aren't losing their jobs and they don't plan on giving demotions.  From y understanding, the coaches will keep their same pay no matter where they're going to be positioned in the district...

Well I guess BISD best case scenario is Taylor or Nelson or both try and find another coaching gig somewhere else and quick... the only bad thing is if one gets it the other doesn’t could split the school in half because of favoritism and they will be walking on egg shells to for a good while. Unless they win quick. Winning is the cure of everything 

6 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I know that you did. I wasn't breaking any news. Just posted the article which also stated that all admin positions would be open as well. That hadn't been stated. Article also stated that all teachers currently employed will remain employed. Very interested in seeing how that happens

I'm assuming they are expecting some of the higher paid teachers and coaches from each school to at some point leave for other jobs, therefore, not having to have extra coaches/teachers at the same campus, because they won't be working their same jobs as they were at Ozen or Central...

6 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Well I guess BISD best case scenario is Taylor or Nelson or both try and find another coaching gig somewhere else and quick... the only bad thing is if one gets it the other doesn’t could split the school in half because of favoritism and they will be walking on egg shells to for a good while. Unless they win quick. Winning is the cure of everything 

Yes, this is what I'm thinking..

3 minutes ago, panther blue said:

We just hope that the Board of Managers , AD or whom ever do the right think and raise the salary to at least attract some good outside applicants. A new start in a new direction , with a new coach .

But is pay raise for coaches or just sports in general a high priority to the BOM?  I'm not convinced.  But we'll see soon enough...

14 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

That's not what the article states.

Quote from sup:

" Frossard said that "for the most part," salaries won't change if employees move to new positions, "unless they're doing something substantially different," such as head coaches that become assistant coaches.

3 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

So if they hire a outside applicant they could be paying total of 4 86k salaries... 

Not how I understand it. According to the article, a head coach that doesn't remain a head coach and is hired as an assistant in the school district will likely not receive current head coach pay.

5 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

That's not what the article states.

Quote from sup:

" Frossard said that "for the most part," salaries won't change if employees move to new positions, "unless they're doing something substantially different," such as head coaches that become assistant coaches.

I believe it's in teacher's and coach's contracts that a merger can't be the reason for a demotion/decrease in pay.  At least what I've been told....

13 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I would think the sup would know that and not make that kind of comment to the press.

Now that I think about it, 2 years ago, snapshot numbers were given to the press for Ozen was incorrect, but correct numbers were sent to UIL.  So, I mean, I CAN happen. (wrong information given to the press).

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

So apparently the BOM's and  Shannon Allen have already told the kids that "Hurricanes" (which was one of the favorites amongst students) as a mascot is out.  It was said that It could be a painful reminder for some in the community.  They might as well go ahead and name the school, pick the mascot, decide the colors and everything because that's what they really want to do...