BISD Votes to Merge Central and Ozen beginning in 2018-19

AshlyHasBeen

3 hours ago, LOUD and Proud said:

Definitely need to open them all up. Even if the basketball job is a foregone conclusion. The football job needs to see what kind of applicants it can attract.

I have an official notice that ALL positions will be opened for outside applicants.  The head football, volleyball and cross country will be open effective tomorrow.

2 hours ago, 2wedge said:

you guys can do better than stowers. 

Think your underestimating Stowers, was one of the most successful coaches and was only at Central 4 years. won 2 district championships made it to playoffs 3/4 years and went 4rounds deep his final year. Defense of mastermind , and had a very great program going..was very good in the community and got kids out of the hallways and on to the field.. 

imo he could be a good get for the new school 

8 hours ago, 2wedge said:

you guys can do better than stowers. 

At the current pay of $86,000 when the state average is $98,000, he probably isn't willing to come for that.

Here is what we do know, Jeff Nelson (Central) and Ed Taylor (Ozen) will be applying for the position.  Now the thing is how many other applicants will put in for the position.  I'll leave it up to one of my media buddies to get us a list when the time is appropriate. 

24 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

At the current pay of $86,000 when the state average is $98,000, he probably isn't willing to come for that.

Here is what we do know, Jeff Nelson (Central) and Ed Taylor (Ozen) will be applying for the position.  Now the thing is how many other applicants will put in for the position.  I'll leave it up to one of my media buddies to get us a list when the time is appropriate. 

The list will be long and the future coach of the new school isn't in the district right now. They will get the salary up so it can be competitive, and they will land a good coach.....that is unless they fumble the opportunity, with BISD is known to do.

3 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

The list will be long and the future coach of the new school isn't in the district right now. They will get the salary up so it can be competitive, and they will land a good coach.....that is unless they fumble the opportunity, with BISD is known to do.

Well I'm glad you think the list will be long because unless they get the salary up, I don't.    This is one time I hope you are correct, LOL.  :).  No fumbles allowed...

Go ask the DeSoto coach Peterman that they forced out if he want to come down here...

So honest question for Beaumont people: how successful (in football) do y’all think this new school will be?

Central has been competitive in a weak 5 A district the past few years, but missed the playoffs this year and only got in last year thanks to a mistake by the Nederland coaching staff. Not a knock on Central, just the truth.

Ozen on the other hand hasn’t done much of anything to talk about the past several years. 

IMO, combining the schools would have made them successful in 5A, but now moving up to 6A is a big leap. And now instead of taking advantage of the fact that instead of paying 3 head coaches your only paying 2 which means pay rates could be increased substantially for both coaches, instead they seem like they will choose to continue to pay well below the average for HC jobs across the state. To me, and I wish this school the best of luck, but that’s not a recipe for success.

BISD absolutely NEEDS a high profile coach to start this off the right way. If not, then sadly the kids who are juniors and sophomores and maybe even freshmen are going to have a rough couple of years in football, and that’s not fair to the kids who had no choice in this matter.

43 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

So honest question for Beaumont people: how successful (in football) do y’all think this new school will be?

Central has been competitive in a weak 5 A district the past few years, but missed the playoffs this year and only got in last year thanks to a mistake by the Nederland coaching staff. Not a knock on Central, just the truth.

Ozen on the other hand hasn’t done much of anything to talk about the past several years. 

IMO, combining the schools would have made them successful in 5A, but now moving up to 6A is a big leap. And now instead of taking advantage of the fact that instead of paying 3 head coaches your only paying 2 which means pay rates could be increased substantially for both coaches, instead they seem like they will choose to continue to pay well below the average for HC jobs across the state. To me, and I wish this school the best of luck, but that’s not a recipe for success.

BISD absolutely NEEDS a high profile coach to start this off the right way. If not, then sadly the kids who are juniors and sophomores and maybe even freshmen are going to have a rough couple of years in football, and that’s not fair to the kids who had no choice in this matter.

It has been well known that there was/is talent in BMT. Up until this point, most of it has gone to WB because the program was in better shape, and more stable. I tend to think that some of that talent will begin to filter back toward the new school and you could see this team be pretty good, pretty fast. It all depends on the decision they are making right now. I believe you take that third HC salary you were paying, and increase Peavey and the new position to 103k ish. If they do that, it allows them to hand pick their next coach rather than wait and see if anyone comes to them. A name I would like to see them pursue is Jeff Riordan at Crosby. He has pretty much maxed his potential at Crosby and has to be considering his next move. Especially considering that his number one supporter, superintendent Keith Moore, resigned last week. The time is prime for Rio to cash in and make the move. He could come into BMT, take that raw talent that we all know is there, and put them in a position to succeed. He is also one of the best I've seen at getting kids scholarships and opportunities for higher education through football. That would be a big benefit to those kids. Just a thought, but one that could definitely happen if they play their cards right.

32 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

Good post, good points and good questions.

For your 1st question, to me, it totally depends on who the HC is.  You've seen some masterful turnarounds at some programs simply with a new HC.  The new HC comes in and changes the culture, the work out habits, how practices are done and most importantly the mindsets in the locker room and it turns into winning on the field.  The talent is there.  I woundn't mind seeing an outside person with great pedigree get it but if it stays in house, I'd have to give it to Nelson. 

I've had a couple of discussions about the pay with the AD because I feel the same way.  It must increase at least $12-14K to draw in some game changer type coaches. 

West Brook currently has several kids on their football team that actually live in either Central or Ozen zones like next years starting QB for them.  Now those kids will be grandfathered and should remain where they currently are but for all incoming freshman, BISD needs to become strict and enforce the boundaries once the rezoning is complete.  That along with the naming of the school, and a mascot and colors that the kids think will be "cool" to play for, things will begin to shift back. 

So I expect the school to be competitive.  I'm not saying anything about state championships, not even in boys basketball.  Competitive in every game and every sport.  Even if they are getting blown out in baseball, I want them out there competing and not quitting.   

5 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

It has been well known that there was/is talent in BMT. Up until this point, most of it has gone to WB because the program was in better shape, and more stable. I tend to think that some of that talent will begin to filter back toward the new school and you could see this team be pretty good, pretty fast. It all depends on the decision they are making right now. I believe you take that third HC salary you were paying, and increase Peavey and the new position to 103k ish. If they do that, it allows them to hand pick their next coach rather than wait and see if anyone comes to them. A name I would like to see them pursue is Jeff Riordan at Crosby. He has pretty much maxed his potential at Crosby and has to be considering his next move. Especially considering that his number one supporter, superintendent Keith Moore, resigned last week. The time is prime for Rio to cash in and make the move. He could come into BMT, take that raw talent that we all know is there, and put them in a position to succeed. He is also one of the best I've seen at getting kids scholarships and opportunities for higher education through football. That would be a big benefit to those kids. Just a thought, but one that could definitely happen if they play their cards right.

Let me add him to the list, I think that would be a great move.

6 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Let me add him to the list, I think that would be a great move.

Admittedly, I am critical of Crosby, but I've never been critical of Rio. The guy is a wiz kid and the assistants he surrounds himself with are a very innovative group. If you guys could land him and he brings his old OC Daron Mann into town......the sky is the limit.

BISD has three head football coaches that make a combined $258,000. Now, I ask you with two head coaches why would you pay a average salary (98,000) to get an average head coach. Get that head coaching pay to $100,000+, for both schools. By combining the two schools your going to be saving tons of money on coaches salary left over, so get the coaches salary up to be competitive. Hire more coaches! Your going to have the money to do so. It's the same with every sport, get the salary up and get some coaches in Beaumont to will make the sports competitive. Same can be said for teachers. Your have wiggle room on salaries. I think, this is one of the things the BOM will be remembered the most. JMO

4 minutes ago, STiger85 said:

BISD has three head football coaches that make a combined $258,000. Now, I ask you with two head coaches why would you pay a average salary (98,000) to get an average head coach. Get that head coaching pay to $100,000+, for both schools. By combining the two schools your going to be saving tons of money on coaches salary left over, so get the coaches salary up to be competitive. Hire more coaches! Your going to have the money to do so. It's the same with every sport, get the salary up and get some coaches in Beaumont to will make the sports competitive. Same can be said for teachers. Your have wiggle room on salaries. I think, this is one of the things the BOM will be remembered the most. JMO

I just use the state average as a minimum to increase it to.  If it was up to me, I'd take that $258,000, give Peevy $129,000 and the Ozen-Central coach $129,000 which would make them the 6-7th highest paid coaches in the state.  AD Jackson would have every coach worth something just about putting in.  But hey, it's not up to me...

12 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

I just use the state average as a minimum to increase it to.  If it was up to me, I'd take that $258,000, give Peevy $129,000 and the Ozen-Central coach $129,000 which would make them the 6-7th highest paid coaches in the state.  AD Jackson would have every coach worth something just about putting in.  But hey, it's not up to me...

That would make complete and total sense, and we all know that will never happen.

1 hour ago, 2wedge said:

Jeff Riodan was making 118k in 2016 why would he take a pay cut to 103k to come to Bisd?

1 hour ago, 2wedge said:

That would be awesome.. don’t let any Crosby fan see this though lol