BISD Votes to Merge Central and Ozen beginning in 2018-19

AshlyHasBeen

On 1/19/2018 at 5:08 PM, AggiesAreWe said:

I was just referring to what would be the proper grammatical way to name the new school if the existing names are used.

Central-Ozen(C-O) Consolidated is good. I think using a big cat for mascot should remain. Lions or Tigers.

Also, consider naming the new school with a historical figure that relates to both schools. Levias-Smith

Washington-Marion isn’t Marion-Washington. I put Ozen first because their campus would be used, at least initially.

5 minutes ago, PNGFaithful said:

Will be a hard sell to the BISD tax payers after the thievery during the last bond.

Sad the kids have to pay for the actions of a few thieves.

Hopefully they don’t, It would be a shame for the kids to have to stay at that Small campus (Ozen) ...hopefully tax papers do was right 

I find this part of the article very interesting:

"

Discipline concerns

The number of students in close quarters also has raised questions about students' behavior and discipline problems. Many said Friday that they don't think the students will be able to get along.

"Ozen students barely get along with each other, so I highly doubt they'll get along with Central's students," Ozen's Keller said. "It's going to be out of control with trying to keep the students at peace, and with them focusing so much on behavior, barely anything will get done academically."

Ozen senior Deon Lewis estimated it would take two to three years after the merger for students to learn to get along.

"There's too much bad blood between us," Lewis said.

Central sophomore Diamond Gray said, "there's North End gangs and South End gangs, and they're going to fight."

The NAACP's Jones said rivalries have been passed down at both schools from students who attended the city's older, now-shuttered high schools.

"If some steps are not put in place to control that right up front, I'm afraid that we're going to have a real discipline issue on our hands." Jones said.

"It's going to be a test, merging these two schools that go way back in the black community," said the Rev. Oveal Walker, who Frossard thanked Thursday for gathering community feedback on the merger. "These are two neighborhoods that have always competed against each other."

This is in complete contrast to what JagInsider was saying about the two schools combining.

Jag Insider has 3 kids that go to Central and  I have close relatives that go to both Ozen and Central as well as good associates that work at both.  Gang activity is definitely not a problem at Central and Ozen.  Yes, there are a few fights and some of those few fights at Central are north end/south end fights, but that's it.  And for the most part, the Ozen kids are more docile than you think. This article exaggerated things a bit here.  There are issues at both schools but these things stated in this article isn't very accurate.

7 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Jag Insider has 3 kids that go to Central and  I have close relatives that go to both Ozen and Central as well as good associates that work at both.  Gang activity is definitely not a problem at Central and Ozen.  Yes, there are a few fights and some of those few fights at Central are north end/south end fights, but that's it.  And for the most part, the Ozen kids are more docile than you think. This article exaggerated things a bit here.  There are issues at both schools but these things stated in this article isn't very accurate.

But those are direct quotes from students who attend and adults who have children in both schools. Plus why would a leader of the local NAACP chapter make those kind of comments if they weren't true?

5 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

But those are direct quotes from students who attend and adults who have children in both schools. Plus why would a leader of the local NAACP chapter make those kind of comments if they weren't true?

They make it seem like that's a huge ongoing issue and that's not the case.  Happens sometimes.  Now there are bigger issues at both campuses NOT getting addressed.  had they been addressed, I would agree...

18 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I do think that for the troublemakers that try to get stuff going, there needs to be VERY strict repercussions to set an example...

I do agree Soulja to a point. I think they may have Extraviagated the situation a little, i coached at Central a while back and I’ve seen kids from the Southend come and was treated no different then the other kids, mainly cause they played sports and were really good at it (Pharius Haynes, Mike Mitchell, David Mayfield, Jacoby Hale, etc) but I will say it will be problems cus even though they got along they still had altercations with some teammates but the problem will Come from “other students” and when I say other students I mean Non-athletes ....Thoes are the kids you have to worry about the non-athletes..Most of the kids who play sports all have crossed paths or known of each other, but it’s the ones who don’t you have to worry about and I feel that’s where your problems will come from. 

7 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I do agree Soulja to a point. I think they may have Extraviagated the situation a little, i coached at Central a while back and I’ve seen kids from the Southend come and was treated no different then the other kids, mainly cause they played sports and were really good at it (Pharius Haynes, Mike Mitchell, David Mayfield, Jacoby Hale, etc) but I will say it will be problems cus even though they got along they still had altercations with some teammates but the problem will Come from “other students” and when I say other students I mean Non-athletes ....Thoes are the kids you have to worry about the non-athletes..Most of the kids who play sports all have crossed paths or known of each other, but it’s the ones who don’t you have to worry about and I feel that’s where your problems will come from. 

I completely agree. It will be the non athletes that will be the problem with the merger.

8 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I agree with D3zii, most of your problems will come from your non-athletes.  Like Soulja said, swift and severe punishment needs to be served to any with that BS. 

42 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

For whatever reason, he is stepping down from that position and moving to the Austin area so as far as I'm concerned, his statement doesn't hold much weight anymore...

43 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

And those statements came from people who wants 15 seconds of fame, not everyone feels like that.  Most of those people probably have negative attitudes about most things in life if you ask them.  I bet if you ask all 4 (because I'll have 4 on campus next year) of mine, they will give you a different response.  Every since Harvey, I have been preparing them for this possibility mentally.  We have discussed this multiple times on our evening commutes home or over dinner.  They understand that yes high school is very important, but it is only 4 years of your life.  A small but important chapter.  They understand that where you graduate from will not define you as an adult.  My current sophomore and junior are looking forward to linking up with the Panthers on the gridiron, on a level playing field and taking on the Bruins.   

5 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

And those statements came from people who wants 15 seconds of fame, not everyone feels like that.  Most of those people probably have negative attitudes about most things in life if you ask them.  I bet if you ask all 4 (because I'll have 4 on campus next year) of mine, they will give you a different response.  Every since Harvey, I have been preparing them for this possibility mentally.  We have discussed this multiple times on our evening commutes home or over dinner.  They understand that yes high school is very important, but it is only 4 years of your life.  A small but important chapter.  They understand that where you graduate from will not define you as an adult.  My current sophomore and junior are looking forward to linking up with the Panthers on the gridiron, on a level playing field and taking on the Bruins.   

Make surs they vote for the Hurricanes as the schools mascot lol

29 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Just another reason all my kids in high school participate in at least 2 sports.  Besides the fear of me and their mom at home, they have coaches that hold them to a higher standard.  They enjoy their respective extracurricular activities and know if their grades drop or get in trouble due to some foolishness, it could be the end of that.   

17 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Just another reason all my kids in high school participate in at least 2 sports.  Besides the fear of me and their mom at home, they have coaches that hold them to a higher standard.  They enjoy their respective extracurricular activities and know if their grades drop or get in trouble due to some foolishness, it could be the end of that.   

When my nephew was there he played football for Stowers and ran track for Washington and i really believe that help keep him out of trouble as well as teach him life lessons which is more reason i feel he was the best coach to come through Central and Washington is just a really good man, so you had two father figures outside the home....that woman really runied everything lol

3 minutes ago, D3zii said:

When my nephew was there he played football for Stowers and ran track fro Washington  and i really believe that help keep him out of trouble as well as teach him life lessons which is more reason i feel he was the best coach to come through Central...that woman really runied everything lol

Best believe, not saying he will take it or even put in for it, but if they open the job up for outside candidates, he will know.  I let him know when Foreman left this last go around :).  Plus his freshman son is a stud QB and basketball player.

8 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Best believe, not saying he will take it or even put in for it, but if they open the job up for outside candidates, he will know.  I let him know when Foreman left this last go around :).  Plus his freshman son is a stud QB and basketball player.

That would be Huge, 

59 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Found out last night that ALL head athletic coaching positions will be open for outside applicants.

This is great news for the football team. They will get some big time applicants if BISD does the right thing and increases their HFC salary. As far as basketball goes, they already have great ones in place, so I'd say keep them and roll on.