BISD Votes to Merge Central and Ozen beginning in 2018-19

AshlyHasBeen

48 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

THIS. EXAAACTLY. This is my issue.  I would've been more comfortable had this decision been made by the ELECTED board..

This is sad for the kids and alums of both schools. As for the BOM making the decision, the last set of elected board were running the district in the ground. This time there's no South Park ISD to save BISD like there was in the 80s.

I think the BOM has for the most part done a good job of righting the ship. And while I think the community should get its district back please don't re elect the people that put you in this spot in first place. I saw a few of the old suspects won election after being kicked to the curb.

Had the old board done their job BISD may have been able to fix or build a new central. Instead the taxpayers and children were robbed.

57 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

This is sad for the kids and alums of both schools. As for the BOM making the decision, the last set of elected board were running the district in the ground. This time there's no South Park ISD to save BISD like there was in the 80s.

I think the BOM has for the most part done a good job of righting the ship. And while I think the community should get its district back please don't re elect the people that put you in this spot in first place. I saw a few of the old suspects won election after being kicked to the curb.

Had the old board done their job BISD may have been able to fix or build a new central. Instead the taxpayers and children were robbed.

Just saying...  The board was voted on last year, yet, those guys never have taken a seat.  These are people that's from the actual community and interact with the kids in their respective communities.  The BOM, those guys are in the communities.  Heck, I question if their even from Beaumont...

10 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Just saying...  The boss was voted on last year, yet, those guys never have taken a seat.  These are people that's from the actual community and interact with the kids in their respective communities.  The BOM, those guys are in the communities.  Heck, I question if their even from Beaumont...

I would have liked to see a new central hs and I suspect the kids and the community would have liked that as well.

I think because of of the last bond issue was handled and the requirements of the state that they maintain a certain debt level and rebuild the rainy day fund building a new school is probably impossible.

When the new elected board gets in I hope they remember this and take care of the kids.

This is historic. All BISD high schools will be housed in the old South Park ISD high schools. It's basically BISD in name only at this point after deciding Smith/French HS couldn't host central although it was big enough for 5A 30 years ago.

I think Central's current enrollment was not much bigger than Frenchs last year and West Brook had Baby Brook for years.  So many questions. 

I will miss Central and Ozen. I hope their teams finish strong.

20 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Just saying...  The boss was voted on last year, yet, those guys never have taken a seat.  These are people that's from the actual community and interact with the kids in their respective communities.  The BOM, those guys are in the communities.  Heck, I question if their even from Beaumont...

Lord have mercy, you are upset because the BOM has made the proper decision for the future of the kids and city you love so much. It blows my mind how the citizens of Beaumont are so blind to their plight.

7 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Lord have mercy, you are upset because the BOM has made the proper decision for the future of the kids and city you love so much. It blows my mind how the citizens of Beaumont are so blind to their plight.

Just because it may be the right decision, and that can be a legitimate debate, doesn't mean this isn't a sad day.  A lot of people have attachments to both schools. In a lot of ways your school is a family.  I believe they have every right to be sad and upset. All us outsiders should allow it and give the Jags and Panthers their space to grieve.

They're going to have to find a new identity and that's going to take time. I wish them all the best.

4 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Just because it may be the right decision, and that can be a legitimate debate, doesn't mean this isn't a sad day.  A lot of people have attachments to both schools. In a lot of ways your school is a family.  I believe they have every right to be sad and upset. All us outsiders should allow it and give the Jags and Panthers their space to grieve.

They're going to have to find a new identity and that's going to take time. I wish them all the best.

Ozen is barely old enough to drive, much less have a history that is worth mourning over. This isn't a sad day, it's a bright day for the future of BISD and the children of the district. I just shake my head at those who think the BOM is not doing what is best for the district and they should seat the recently (and incomprehensibly) elected school board. If some of the stolen money or the money used to build the shrine on IH-10 had been retained and managed properly, then maybe the money would be there to fix Central. It's not there so it's not being fixed. Maybe the "community" in Beaumont can apply this "sad day" to the legacy of those who they elected over and over again and see the err of their ways. Probably not but maybe.

44 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

I'm not upset at all.  I don't know where you came to that conclusion from.  Just stating that I'd PREFER. A preference. That means I would have been ok with either decision, would've just been a tad bit more comfortable if it came from the guys we, the people, voted for.  That's all.  

37 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Ozen is barely old enough to drive, much less have a history that is worth mourning over. This isn't a sad day, it's a bright day for the future of BISD and the children of the district. I just shake my head at those who think the BOM is not doing what is best for the district and they should seat the recently (and incomprehensibly) elected school board. If some of the stolen money or the money used to build the shrine on IH-10 had been retained and managed properly, then maybe the money would be there to fix Central. It's not there so it's not being fixed. Maybe the "community" in Beaumont can apply this "sad day" to the legacy of those who they elected over and over again and see the err of their ways. Probably not but maybe.

You're so misinformed, and just seem like you're talking out of side of your neck...

I'm just gonna have to disagree with you about people missing their schools. If this happened in your community, even if it was the result of mismanagement you would be sad.  

Yes had the bond been managed better Central would probably be here. This may well be the best decision but that doesn't mean the community has to like it or shouldn't mourn.

Put it like this. If the doctor told you its amputate both legs or die. You amputate your legs but you're not happy about it at that moment. 

Ozen may be 20 years old but they have plenty of state championships and memories for those that attended. Their alumni should be proud. 

Both schools will be missed. If you can't understand that, there's no hope for you.

7 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

I'm just gonna have to disagree with you about people missing their schools. If this happened in your community, even if it was the result of mismanagement you would be sad.  

Yes had the bond been managed better Central would probably be here. This may well be the best decision but that doesn't mean the community has to like it or shouldn't mourn.

Put it like this. If the doctor told you its amputate both legs or die. You amputate your legs but you're not happy about it at that moment. 

Ozen may be 20 years old but they have plenty of state championships and memories for those that attended. Their alumni should be proud. 

Both schools will be missed. If you can't understand that, there's no hope for you.

Great post.

12 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

Wow. So which football coach will lead the new school. (Same for basketball, etc) Crazy stuff. 

No im so tired of BISD staying in House when better Coaches are avaliable, now by all means if they're the better qualified coach then i have no problem with it, but if im a betting man, i know coaches from across the State will see a chance to work with the talent this school will bring and be applying ..Jeff Nelson will probably  be the most in house qualified coach other then that, i believe the best coaches will be found outside of BISD as far as football is concerned ..Basketball may be another story but this is the football thread so i wont get into that

5 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

But you have to be careful... lotta jags sounding like greenies from a few years back. 

It IS sad that pretty much all of Beaumont’s history is kinda like PA’s.... no more TJ, Lincoln, SFA, Central, Ozen, French, South Park, Central, Ozen, etc.... I know it’s progress, but it’s still a little depressing. The right thing to happen, but depressing none the less.

Bright future though... there’s no bigger stage than 6A  

16 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

But you have to be careful... lotta jags sounding like greenies from a few years back. 

It IS sad that pretty much all of Beaumont’s history is kinda like PA’s.... no more TJ, Lincoln, SFA, Central, Ozen, French, South Park, Central, Ozen, etc.... I know it’s progress, but it’s still a little depressing. The right thing to happen, but depressing none the less.

Bright future though... there’s no bigger stage than 6A  

and Forest Park, Hebert, BCP

I'm not short-changing the impact of a merger on Central/Ozen's football program, but can you imagine the basketball powerhouse that will result from Central/Ozen?  I get it...other large 6A schools have talent, too, but I believe Central/Ozen should be a force at the state level year in and year out.  Imagine Central/Ozen finding an icon coach like PA Lincoln had in James Gamble, and then a program gets built, tradition starts to build, and then just like PA Lincoln, boom, championship hardware starts to pile up.  Sorry for the distraction...my mind went to basketball when I read the newspaper and saw the merger of Central and Ozen.  Back to football.

Go Indians.  Peace.

It’s easy to say that the new basketball team will compete at State year in and year out. But remember the same thing was said when Lincoln and TJ merged (yes I know SFA is included). They didn’t exactly dominate in the state’s highest classification. The new school will be like West Brook. A Small 6A competing against huge numbers. I wish them the best, but it won’t be easy in any sport.

6 minutes ago, AshlyVYPE said:

It’s easy to say that the new basketball team will compete at State year in and year out. But remember the same thing was said when Lincoln and TJ merged (yes I know SFA is included). They didn’t exactly dominate in the state’s highest classification. The new school will be like West Brook. A Small 6A competing against huge numbers. I wish them the best, but it won’t be easy in any sport.

I don't think you are giving them near enough credit for the quality of athletes in these two schools.

Success will not be determined by the amount of talent, the talent will be there.

Success will be determined by how the talent is managed. Blending these two proud athletic programs into one will be a challenge.

24 minutes ago, D3zii said:

No im so tired of BISD staying in House when better Coaches are avaliable, now by all means if they're the better qualified coach then i have no problem with it, but if im a betting man, i know coaches from across the State will see a chance to work with the talent this school will bring and be applying ..Jeff Nelson will probably  be the most in house qualified coach other then that, i believe the best coaches will be found outside of BISD as far as football is concerned ..Basketball may be another story but this is the football thread so i wont get into that

I agree that Nelson is probably the best currently as for an in-house hire.  If they manage to get that pay up from $85K to the state average of $98K, you'll get quite a few outsdie applicants...

8 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

There will be plenty of football talent to go around. There is the potential for a perennial playoff team here with the possibility of deep playoff runs and State Championships, if they hire the right person.  

I’m worried about how the next couple of years will be like in district. If they are grouped with West Brook and Pasadena schools they’ll compete.

If they are shifted to North Shore, Atascocita, etc. that could be rough.

I see both of these athletic programs and enjoy covering them. But I also travel to cover West Brook facing The Woodlands. It’s not even fair. The disparity in Class 6A is ridiculous. Both Central and Ozen missed out on the playoffs last year in 5A. There is no doubt both schools have talent, but the lack of depth will be the problem.

35 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

You're so misinformed, and just seem like you're talking out of side of your neck...

So misinformed that I told you this would be the result several months ago. I am aware of the issues and the board you guys elected multiple times drove the car into the ditch. The BOM have taken several great strides toward fixing the issues in BISD, only for the community to elect one of the clowns again, and the son of another. We're very lucky that this discussion isn't about the district being dissolved rather than a discussion about a merger to make the district stronger. BISD will never be fully viable until the citizens of Beaumont look themselves in the mirror and realize they are constantly tripping over themselves in the name of progress. Merging Central and Ozen doesn't take your Jaguar or Panther pride away from you, it only assures that your children and grandchildren will have a school they can be proud of also. As of now, that's not the case.

13 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

So misinformed that I told you this would be the result several months ago. I am aware of the issues and the board you guys elected multiple times drove the car into the ditch. The BOM have taken several great strides toward fixing the issues in BISD, only for the community to elect one of the clowns again, and the son of another. We're very lucky that this discussion isn't about the district being dissolved rather than a discussion about a merger to make the district stronger. BISD will never be fully viable until the citizens of Beaumont look themselves in the mirror and realize they are constantly tripping over themselves in the name of progress. Merging Central and Ozen doesn't take your Jaguar or Panther pride away from you, it only assures that your children and grandchildren will have a school they can be proud of also. As of now, that's not the case.

...again,who's upset?  People like myself who's actually able to view things from a glass half empty/glass half full can see the whole picture.  

One of these board members that was elected who was on the previous regime always was and is very active in the respective communities.  Very involved in church and involved in many things that in involves volunteer time and effort to help the kids.  She's respected in that community.  She can't be blamed for the previous fallout of the previous board.  The collective unit was horrible as a whole.  

I just don't know how I'm unclear to you on my thoughts and feelings on this.  After speaking to several alum and Ozen people, many share my sentiments.

4 minutes ago, AshlyVYPE said:

I’m worried about how the next couple of years will be like in district. If they are grouped with West Brook and Pasadena schools they’ll compete.

If they are shifted to North Shore, Atascocita, etc. that could be rough.

I see both of these athletic programs and enjoy covering them. But I also travel to cover West Brook facing The Woodlands. It’s not even fair. The disparity in Class 6A is ridiculous. Both Central and Ozen missed out on the playoffs last year in 5A. There is no doubt both schools have talent, but the lack of depth will be the problem.

The district that they are put in, will make all the difference in the world.  Being that football, besides volleyball, is the first sport to get things kicked off for the new school year, it is imperative that Ozen-Central starts out with a winning program.  I say that because it will help the student body buy in to the merger.  Everyone wants to be part of a winner.  If they have 3 non-district games, 2-1 or even 3-0 is better than 1-2 or 0-3. Hopefully we can avoid North Shore and The Woodlands in district.

Is the right coach Nelson or Taylor?  Could be.  But if either is given the keys to this new car, he has to make sure that all coaches are truly on the same page with him.  How do you do that in this situation?  I don't know.  The good thing is that most of the coaches between both staffs know each other and many have coached with each other.  I still think they should open it up and just see who all applies besides Foreman :):):)...   

Basketball wise, give it to Mike T simple as that...