Realignment

DannyShapiroBE

5 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

From everyone that I have spoken with (coaches, admins, UIL officials, other media) all have said Thursday, Feb. 1 at 9am.

If I had to say which way I think they'll go as of today, it will be keeping them separate.  Central and Ozen remaining in 5A.  A month or 2 ago, I would have said the other way. 

Without releasing their names, the board members that have talked either directly to me or indirectly, have said the insurance company is not wanting to pay what they were supposed to.

4 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

If I had to say which way I think they'll go as of today, it will be keeping them separate.  Central and Ozen remaining in 5A.  A month or 2 ago, I would have said the other way. 

Without releasing their names, the board members that have talked either directly to me or indirectly, have said the insurance company is not wanting to pay what they were supposed to.

That is what I heard as well. Insurance company balking on payment.

I believe Central and Ozen will remain on it's own. That's ok but life at Central will still be difficult.

14 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

That is what I heard as well. Insurance company balking on payment.

I believe Central and Ozen will remain on it's own. That's ok but life at Central will still be difficult.

Naw, the kids have adjusted fine and will be fine to the current situation.  If you think back to when we had 2 high schools, the 9th grade campuses were separated.  The Central kids would much rather stay where they are then to merge.  I say just leave them like they are until a long term solution is figured out. 

Plus this way, I hear Silsbee will be playing Central and Ozen...

4 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Naw, the kids have adjusted fine and will be fine to the current situation.  If you think back to when we had 2 high schools, the 9th grade campuses were separated.  The Central kids would much rather stay where they are then to merge.  I say just leave them like they are until a long term solution is figured out. 

Plus this way, I hear Silsbee will be playing Central and Ozen...

Correct.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:09 PM, Jag Insider said:
9 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I'll have to see. A few Silsbee fans ha e been getting on my nerves this past season and I'm looking forward to hooking up with Jag Insider that game.  

He's a Tiger fan until his son graduates, then he'll be welcome to sit back on the Jaguar sideline after that...

But then the phone call I received this morning said that the 7 million dollars plus anything else that is obtained will be utilized to do the merger.  As I put on my Facebook page this morning, it's on the agenda for the BOM's to announce their official decision this Thursday night.  I will broadcast it live on Facebook.

22 hours ago, Jag Insider said:

But then the phone call I received this morning said that the 7 million dollars plus anything else that is obtained will be utilized to do the merger.  As I put on my Facebook page this morning, it's on the agenda for the BOM's to announce their official decision this Thursday night.  I will broadcast it live on Facebook.

So the decision to Merge or not-to-Merge will be finalized tomorrow, January 18, 2018???

15 hours ago, Jag Insider said:

It's on the agenda for the board meeting tomorrow night.  Whether they actually officially announce a decision is a whole other thing...

I understand.

I would think it would be in the best interest of everybody involved if a decision was made ASAP. I know everything does not revolve around athletics, but it would be a major cluster if the decision was made after Feb. 1. IMHO, it also would not be fair to the coaches in the district. If a merger does occur then there are going to be a number of decisions that have to be made as far as coaches are concerned. I would assume the District would open up all coaching positions and take applications? This could be a long, drawn out process.

I wonder if the merger does occur, who will make out the non-district schedule for the new 6A school?

2 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

I understand.

I would think it would be in the best interest of everybody involved if a decision was made ASAP. I know everything does not revolve around athletics, but it would be a major cluster if the decision was made after Feb. 1. IMHO, it also would not be fair to the coaches in the district. If a merger does occur then there are going to be a number of decisions that have to be made as far as coaches are concerned. I would assume the District would open up all coaching positions and take applications? This could be a long, drawn out process.

I wonder if the merger does occur, who will make out the non-district schedule for the new 6A school?

I agree on making the decision ASAP, like today, regardless of what it is.  That way staff, parents and students can plan accordingly.  I really feel like it was made back in August to merge and would be surprised with any other outcome.  I do think the BOM's understands that athletics are not the top priority but that they are important in a school.  I also agree, open up EVERY coaching position to outside applicants and go from there but I doubt that will happen.   

Well in all other school districts, the head coach makes his/her own schedule out for whatever respective sport.  I do know that BISD currently has a rule in place that limits travel and opponents to 100 miles besides playoffs. 

26 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

I agree on making the decision ASAP, like today, regardless of what it is.  That way staff, parents and students can plan accordingly.  I really feel like it was made back in August to merge and would be surprised with any other outcome.  I do think the BOM's understands that athletics are not the top priority but that they are important in a school.  I also agree, open up EVERY coaching position to outside applicants and go from there but I doubt that will happen.   

Well in all other school districts, the head coach makes his/her own schedule out for whatever respective sport.  I do know that BISD currently has a rule in place that limits travel and opponents to 100 miles besides playoffs. 

i don't see how they can NOT open up every coaching position. That would have to be standard operating procedure under the circumstances.

5 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

i don't see how they can NOT open up every coaching position. That would have to be standard operating procedure under the circumstances.

I agree, it should be opened up but hey stranger things have happened over the years in this district.  I've also personally discussed with the AD about what it would take to increase the head football coaches (if we just have 2 high schools) to at least the state average for 5A and 6A of $98,000 salary.  $100,000 sounds better and you might be able to draw a few more good applicants to a 6A school with some talent, making 6 figures. 

5 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

I agree, it should be opened up but hey stranger things have happened over the years in this district.  I've also personally discussed with the AD about what it would take to increase the head football coaches (if we just have 2 high schools) to at least the state average for 5A and 6A of $98,000 salary.  $100,000 sounds better and you might be able to draw a few more good applicants to a 6A school with some talent, making 6 figures. 

With the combined talent of Central and Ozen and a $100,00 salary, the options would be many (you would think).

It would be a task to successfully blend these kids into one successful program (lots of recent failure), but the talent is there and the right coach and staff could have some quick success and it could be a long term gold mine.

4 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

With the combined talent of Central and Ozen and a $100,00 salary, the options would be many (you would think).

It would be a task to successfully blend these kids into one successful program (lots of recent failure), but the talent is there and the right coach and staff could have some quick success and it could be a long term gold mine.

I disagree.  The majority of these kids already know each other whether it be from little league, church, elementary and/or middle school.  I think a lot of these kids are tired of being average or below average when it comes to wins and losses and tired of loosing to West Brook in football.  So if they have to come together to do that, I don't see it being much of an issue.  Actually combining the 2 schools gives them a level playing field when it comes to the "Beaumont Bowl".  You are right though that the RIGHT coach will get the kids to come out and play that were not playing for whatever reason. 

I think more of the parents have issues with merging than the students themselves.  Like I've explained to my 4 that are in the middle of this, if a kid was a trouble maker at Central or Ozen, he or she will be the same if they combine.  If a kid is at the top of the academic class, then a merger should not change the way he or she feels about their grades.  The only sport in my opinion that may not benefit too much from the merger is the boys basketball program.  Both schools have solid basketball programs year in and year out.  All the rest, girls and boys, should benefit in my opinion.   

7 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

I disagree.  The majority of these kids already know each other whether it be from little league, church, elementary and/or middle school.  I think a lot of these kids are tired of being average or below average when it comes to wins and losses and tired of loosing to West Brook in football.  So if they have to come together to do that, I don't see it being much of an issue.  Actually combining the 2 schools gives them a level playing field when it comes to the "Beaumont Bowl".  You are right though that the RIGHT coach will get the kids to come out and play that were not playing for whatever reason. 

I think more of the parents have issues with merging than the students themselves.  Like I've explained to my 4 that are in the middle of this, if a kid was a trouble maker at Central or Ozen, he or she will be the same if they combine.  If a kid is at the top of the academic class, then a merger should not change the way he or she feels about their grades.  The only sport in my opinion that may not benefit too much from the merger is the boys basketball program.  Both schools have solid basketball programs year in and year out.  All the rest, girls and boys, should benefit in my opinion.   

I wasn't necessarily referring to the blending of personalities or of the kids, I don't think that will be an issue.

I was more referring to the competition for playing time and change in coaching style and expectations. Because if they do the right thing and hire a coach with a pedigree of success then a lot of things will change for these kids.Combining the two programs will generate a lot of internal competition for positions and some kids may not respond well to that.

As for basketball, practicing against the best everyday just makes you better. State Championships every year would be the expectation.