Carthage 64 Silsbee 36/FINAL

WOSgrad

Well crazy things happen from time to time I watch the png Indians qb throw for 10 touchdown in that 72-69 win over Crosby yes Carthage has one heck of a team but it was said that W-os defense last year could shut down any 5a or 6a team in the state Silsbee defense we all knew would not be able to hold up against Carthage just didn’t realize it would be that bad but it’s over so you move on good luck to Carthage but they still haven’t won it all yet and there are teams left that can better scheme and have the young men that can compete with Carthage I hope the bulldogs win it all though good luck to Carthage great season silsbee.

10 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I knew the Tiger offense would score. Tiger defense just not good enough.

As I stated earlier in week, Silsbee's chances of winning was solely on how well the defense played.

Not a knock on Silsbee at all, but they scored 36 for the same reason that Carthage ONLY scored 64.  Either way very respectable season.  Now on to what Silsbee does best.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

Not a knock on Silsbee at all, but they scored 36 for the same reason that Carthage ONLY scored 64.  Either way very respectable season.  Now on to what Silsbee does best.

Actually 15 of those were for that reason....the other 21 were on that first team.

The defensive adjustments for Carthage and Silsbee's inability to adjust to the adjustment was so apparent.  Carthage figured out how to stop the power run game, double team Barnes, and apply pressure to Collins on the  playaction. 

It also didn't help that we turned the ball over too AND Carthage's first team offense scored on ALL of their possessions.

Major emphasis will need to change the defensive scheme.  Need to attack and blitz, even run blitzes.  It happened a few times and it was successful.  Nothing we would've done tonight would matter because Carthage was too good, but it just became downright ridiculous to look at in that second quarter...

23 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

The defensive adjustments for Carthage and Silsbee's inability to adjust to the adjustment was so apparent.  Carthage figured out how to stop the power run game, double team Barnes, and apply pressure to Collins on the  playaction. 

It also didn't help that we turned the ball over too AND Carthage's first team offense scored on ALL of their possessions.

Major emphasis will need to change the defensive scheme.  Need to attack and blitz, even run blitzes.  It happened a few times and it was successful.  Nothing we would've done tonight would matter because Carthage was too good, but it just became downright ridiculous to look at in that second quarter...

I normally don’t make statements concerning the coaching part of things, but last night it appeared to me that the coaches were not only outmatched but gave up in that second quarter as well. We moved the ball pretty consistently through the air yet continued to stick with a running game that was going nowhere.  Not only that but with the ball and about a minute left in the half and all 3 timeouts we let about 30 seconds run off the clock without taking a timeout.  Oh well probably better in the long run the way they scored at the end they may have reached 80 in that first half with another 39 seconds.... 

5 minutes ago, ST413 said:

I normally don’t make statements concerning the coaching part of things, but last night it appeared to me that the coaches were not only outmatched but gave up in that second quarter as well. We moved the ball pretty consistently through the air yet continued to stick with a running game that was going nowhere.  Not only that but with the ball and about a minute left in the half and all 3 timeouts we let about 30 seconds run off the clock without taking a timeout.  Oh well probably better in the long run the way they scored at the end they may have reached 80 in that first half with another 39 seconds.... 

Probably kept running the ball to burn clock.  The coaches should be applauded in that regard.

5 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Probably kept running the ball to burn clock.  The coaches should be applauded in that regard.

That was in the first half...should have been looking to score especially when getting the ball back after the half.  If score on both possessions at that point it could have been a 2 or 3 possession game...too early to give up hope.

6 minutes ago, ST413 said:

That was in the first half...should have been looking to score especially when getting the ball back after the half.  If score on both possessions at that point it could have been a 2 or 3 possession game...too early to give up hope.

After a 35-7 (or whatever) 1st quarter massacre I’m pretty sure the coaching staff has the authority to not give up but play as to keep it respectable if they choose.

17 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

After a 35-7 (or whatever) 1st quarter massacre I’m pretty sure the coaching staff has the authority to not give up but play as to keep it respectable if they choose.

If that’s as the case then why call any of those time outs and argue for time to be put back on the clock with 32 secs left in the half?

1 hour ago, MBaller#1 said:

I don’t know what it will take to get the tigers defense fixed but they need to keep working hard on it it’s been a problem for years but they will turn it around.

Silsbee defense was much better this year than in the past few years, besides this game of course and a few to begin the year. They had a good solid run there for a few games where they were playing good defense.

I wouldn't get too worked up if I was a Silsbee fan. I don't think people believe Carthage fans when they say this is the best team we have ever seen at Carthage. Carthage could be scoring 80 a game if they wanted. Nobody will stay within 14 points of Carthage this year. You saw last night what we love about Surratt and the reason sometimes Carthage is not given their due. It could've easily been 100-21 last night. Silsbee was not doing any more scoring coming out of the half. Surratt called it off and let y'all leave with a 64-36 loss. Even your area fans can say "I knew Silsbee would score" and "y'all put up 36 points on the #1 team". But the people at the game know better. Silsbee had a respectable season, and what looks like a good future. Congrats on a 3rd round appearance. Hope to see you guys again next year.

2 hours ago, ST413 said:

Scott Suratt at Carthage is possibly a top 5 coach in the state regardless of classification.  One of the best defensive coaches in the state, IMO to go along with Gary Joseph and Cornell Thompson.

Suratt outcoaches just about everyone, not just the Silsbee staff.

9 minutes ago, Wise Old Owl said:

How do the Tigers get within 2 or 3 scores if they can’t get a stop on defense?

E

9 minutes ago, Wise Old Owl said:

How do the Tigers get within 2 or 3 scores if they can’t get a stop on defense?

I believe it was either still 50-21or 57 -21 if we score on that paosseision to end the half and the first of the second half we r either 15 or 22 behind.  Stopping Carthage was definitely still the problem but that was my scenario.