Silsbee v Carthage

STiger85

13 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Smh...  Silsbee haven't lost a game since  a few personnel changes AFTER the last loss against LC-M.  

Hey I’m just saying.  I’m not the one implying that Silsbee speed is going to overwhelm.  Having some speed is fantastic but this deep in the playoffs it takes more than just being fast.

By the way Carthage hasn’t lost a game in a while either.

12 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Hey I’m just saying.  I’m not the one implying that Silsbee speed is going to overwhelm.  Having some speed is fantastic but this deep in the playoffs it takes more than just being fast.

They made some personnel changes after their loss to Kilgore last year. 21 games later, here we are, talking about how they're going to get outrun to the endzone :P 

12 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I was only conveying information as to what changed and probably explained a few of those losses...

7 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I was only conveying information as to what changed and probably explained a few of those losses...

Understandable.  But perception is reality.  And Silsbee has been beaten 4 times this year with the fastest kid in the nation on their roster.  Sure does make it seem likely that the defending state champ can figure out how to do it too.

I’m pulling for Silsbee, but I think if Carthage plays to stop the run and puts pressure on the qb then they will win. They will most likely not play conservative, and they will probably make Collins beat them with accurate throws while being under pressure. I’m sure Barnes will get his usual big play here and there where his speed will show, but if I’m the DC for Carthage after watching film Silsbee has still shown over and over that they are run first. Even with all the speed at WR. I would make them try to beat me with their speed.

Defensively, I’ve heard and read that Silsbee has grown a lot in that area. I think defense has a good chance at making some key stops or turnovers, however if Carthage is really as balanced as they say then that could pose a lot of problems for the Tigers considering the threat at RB that you have to respect.

This is a new era for Silsbee football, new coach with a new mentality. There’s no reason why they couldn’t be ranked in the top 10 or even 5 each year. I think he’s (coach smith) pretty close to getting that mentality instilled into his players. This could be the year that they break the Carthage curse. But at the same time, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Carthage win this game. Should be fun to watch!

10 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

If the Tigers survive it doesn't get much easier.   Counting Carthage, 9 of the top ten in Div 1 made it thru the Area round.  Only Estacado has been knocked out.  La Vega, the Stepford Children at Argyle, Midlothian, Kennedale, all the usual suspects. 

I saw the movie, but I'm not certain what this means.  Their players are robots?

3 minutes ago, Wise Old Owl said:

I saw the movie, but I'm not certain what this means?  Their players are robots?

No, they are cybernetic life forms. 

I'm kidding of course.  But mixed with the teasing there is a tiny bit of resentment (or is it perhaps jealousy?).  Also I'm talking about the original movie from 1975 - not the remake.  The reference is to how methodically and almost mechanically good that school is at EVERYTHING.  The Eagles are sometimes in the top 10 in all three major sports.  It's remarkable actually.  Athleticism is absolutely not the reason this is happening.  There is that of course but really it's discipline, skill, methodical - almost mechanical execution and coaching.  And the most important component is parenting.

Just look at basketball.  Their girls and their boys both made it to the state tournament.  The girls won their third straight championship and for the boys it came down to the last shot in a 1 point game against our top ranked Tigers.  And yes, Argyle certainly could have beaten Brazosport and taken the crown. 

One thing for sure.  Nobody would ever accuse us of being robots.   

1 hour ago, L-Train11 said:

This is a new era for Silsbee football, new coach with a new mentality. There’s no reason why they couldn’t be ranked in the top 10 or even 5 each year. I think he’s (coach smith) pretty close to getting that mentality instilled into his players. This could be the year that they break the Carthage curse. But at the same time, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Carthage win this game. Should be fun to watch!

One thing may be different.  We seem to be able to reliably kick an extra point now.  Maybe it's a fluke, a one season deal, but it's gratifying.   Our kicking game in the past was, how shall I say it, somewhat less than optimum?  I'm reasonably sure that most of our past Tigerettes could have routinely kicked a 13 yard field goal but not, apparently, any our varsity football players.

I don't know.  Besides being a little embarrassing, it seemed to betoken a lack of seriousness in the program.  Perhaps I'm being unfair but it often looked like an important part of the game was being overlooked.

49 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

No, they are cybernetic life forms. 

I'm kidding of course.  But mixed with the teasing there is a tiny bit of resentment (or is it perhaps jealousy?).  Also I'm talking about the original movie from 1975 - not the remake.  The reference is to how methodically and almost mechanically good that school is at EVERYTHING.  The Eagles are sometimes in the top 10 in all three major sports.  It's remarkable actually.  Athleticism is absolutely not the reason this is happening.  There is that of course but really it's discipline, skill, methodical - almost mechanical execution and coaching.  And the most important component is parenting.

Just look at basketball.  Their girls and their boys both made it to the state tournament.  The girls won their third straight championship and for the boys it came down to the last shot in a 1 point game against our top ranked Tigers.  And yes, Argyle certainly could have beaten Brazosport and taken the crown. 

One thing for sure.  Nobody would ever accuse us of being robots.   

Argyle median household income-$110,000
Silsbee median household income-$33,000

Obviously there are other variables..and rules to this exception.  But this makes a little bit of a difference.

28 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

One thing may be different.  We seem to be able to reliably kick an extra point now.  Maybe it's a fluke, a one season deal, but it's gratifying.   Our kicking game in the past was, how shall I say it, somewhat less than optimum?  I'm reasonably sure that most of our past Tigerettes could have routinely kicked a 13 yard field goal but not, apparently, any our varsity football players.

I don't know.  Besides being a little embarrassing, it seemed to betoken a lack of seriousness in the program.  Perhaps I'm being unfair but it often looked like an important part of the game was being overlooked.

There are a ton of small things that go un-noticed.

Special teams was never a priority judging from past seasons.  The Huffman game from a few years ago still infuriates me.  

19 minutes ago, Silsbee92 said:

There are a ton of small things that go un-noticed.

Special teams was never a priority judging from past seasons.  The Huffman game from a few years ago still infuriates me.  

I would take this back maybe even further to the Navasota playoff game that was, I believe, at Woodforrest Stadium.