Silsbee v Carthage

STiger85

I don't know much about Silsbee other than looking at past scores, but I can tell you that this Carthage team is the most complete high school football team i have ever seen. I get that Silsbee has speed, but I think any Carthage or LCM fan for that matter will tell you that Kilgore is one of the fastest teams in 4a this year, and Carthage took them to the woodshed. Kilgore won state this past year in the 4x100 and two of those guys were the Oklahoma St. Commit receiver, and the triple option wizard Qb.

Kilgore came out of the gates on fire and actually led most of the first half. Carthage just did their thing and went in at the half up 22-20 i believe was the score. They came out it the second half and pulled the gloves off and the final of that game was 50-20. Granted Kilgore shot theirselves in the foot on more than one occasion so I believe it got a little more out of hand than it should have, however Carthage was still going to win that game big regardless.

Playing a team with speed is nothing new to this Carthage team. They have won 5 state championships in 9 years, and I believe this is their best team yet. Good Luck Silsbee.

8 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I read a lot about speed this, speed that. Yes, Silsbee has a few of the fastest kids in the state. They almost won the state championship 4x100 last year ;). They had the same kids last year. Carthage knows how to deal with speed. I mean, Kilgore did win the 4x200 (beating Atlanta by .007 seconds), and it wasn't even a close game with them. 

Carthage has arguably the best coaching staff in the state. I have a very good feeling they will know how to deal with a couple of speedsters. 

If Silsbee wants to win, they will have to figure out how to get past not only the best front 7 they've faced, but quite possibly the best front 7 in 4A (they are in my opinion). To add to that, Silsbee will have to stop a very well rounded offense, that showcases the best RB in the state. The only time I've seen them struggle is when they shot themselves. 

I think Silsbee will see exactly why Carthage is the #1 team in the state come Friday night. I take nothing away from Silsbee, they have to be good to get this far, but Carthage is something special this season.

Silsbee has the fastest young man in the country. And if he gets 3-4 feet ahead there ain't a Carthage player that has a chance of catching him. JS... :)

44 minutes ago, Who That said:

Silsbee has the fastest young man in the country. And if he gets 3-4 feet ahead there ain't a Carthage player that has a chance of catching him. JS... :)

Agree. I don't think anybody is saying Silsbee won't hit some big plays. Little Belichick and Preston will have a scheme that will try to limit those big plays. Carthage has to be very careful on special teams too. But I just don't believe Silsbee will line up and run the ball on Carthage consistently. I think early it will be close, and once Carthage D adjust to what Silsbee is doing the Dawgs will pull away. Very similar to the Kilgore game. If Silsbee can't run the ball they will throw 2+ interceptions. Carthage secondary has some ball hawks in Ware and Colbert. Carthage will score 40+. Just have to see if Silsbee offense can get it done. I am not taking a shot at Silsbee at all. I got Carthage in this one by 25+. Carthage is on another level this year. More like the 2008-2013 teams of the past. I think Silsbee fans can remember how bad of beatdowns Carthage was handing out during those years. Good luck to both teams and safe travels to all the fans in attendance. 

45 minutes ago, Who That said:

I don't think anyone will argue that Silsbee will have the fastest, maybe 2 fastest players on the field (although that Ingram kid can burn). But they will have to beat Carthage deep several times to even have a chance in this one.

I believe someone posted earlier that Carthage averages 46 ppg on O. What's more impressive than that is that their low is 41 and their high is 50. And they had to start tapping the brakes in the 3rd qtr (or sooner) in 11 of their 12 ballgames just to stay under 50. What's even more impressive than all of that is that 4 of the teams they took behind the woodshed in the regular season are playing in 4A Regional Semi-Final games this weekend.

1 hour ago, KilgoreAggie98 said:

I don't think anyone will argue that Silsbee will have the fastest, maybe 2 fastest players on the field (although that Ingram kid can burn). But they will have to beat Carthage deep several times to even have a chance in this one.

I believe someone posted earlier that Carthage averages 46 ppg on O. What's more impressive than that is that their low is 41 and their high is 50. And they had to start tapping the brakes in the 3rd qtr (or sooner) in 11 of their 12 ballgames just to stay under 50. What's even more impressive than all of that is that 4 of the teams they took behind the woodshed in the regular season are playing in 4A Regional Semi-Final games this weekend.

Just in case people don't realize, the only reason Carthage hasn't put 60-70 points on the board in almost every game is because the 2's and even sometimes 3's go in during part of third and all of fourth quarters- on a running clock in many games. Surratt chooses to let opposing team leave with some dignity and give the backups and younger kids valuable playing time and experience. 

Yea I guess nobody got that I was hinting Atlanta won the 4x100 and 2nd in the 4x200 lol. Watching the 4x100 though, you could see Barnes closing so fast.

That being said, different story when pads are on and you're relying on someone to hit you in stride. Plus, like I said, Surratt and company will definitely be able to lock down 1 player. Carthage's secondary aren't snails either, mind you.

12 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Yea I guess nobody got that I was hinting Atlanta won the 4x100 and 2nd in the 4x200 lol. Watching the 4x100 though, you could see Barnes closing so fast.

That being said, different story when pads are on and you're relying on someone to hit you in stride. Plus, like I said, Surratt and company will definitely be able to lock down 1 player. Carthage's secondary aren't snails either, mind you.

'One' player?  Yea, ok. Lol

5 minutes ago, Dawgs12345 said:

Carthage got a track star in the secondary too. 2 time defending state champ in the 400. He is a SR this year, and will end his career with 3 gold medals in that event. Yea, Carthage isn't exactly slow.

Never said they were slow.  It's just a little different when you're trying to catch the hare instead of a tortoise...

38 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Your "'one' player? yea, ok. lol" comment goes for us too. Stop K. Ingram and you've still got D. Ingram, Colbert and Bowens to contend with. Most balanced offense we've seen in quite some time...

39 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

If the Tigers survive it doesn't get much easier.   Counting Carthage, 9 of the top ten in Div 1 made it thru the Area round.  Only Estacado has been knocked out.  La Vega, the Stepford Children at Argyle, Midlothian, Kennedale, all the usual suspects.  On any given night any of those top schools is capable of beating the others.

It's a spectacular Regionals weekend in for 4A Div 1. 

No. 3 Argyle vs. No. 8 Stephenville

No. 4 Kennedale vs. No. 5 Midlothian

No. 2 La Vega vs. No. 6 Canyon Lake

No. 7 Liberty Hill vs. No. 10 China Spring

Carthage is the only surviving top 10 team not facing another top 10 team.  Isn't that interesting?  Is it an easy week for the Bulldogs compared to their fellow Top 10'ers.  Objectively you'd have to say yes.  But.... who knows?

Carthago delenda est.

59 minutes ago, Dawg# said:

Your "'one' player? yea, ok. lol" comment goes for us too. Stop K. Ingram and you've still got D. Ingram, Colbert and Bowens to contend with. Most balanced offense we've seen in quite some time...

Ok, I can roll with that.  Good comparison.  

I know y'all are tough, but we'll give it a go and have fun while we're doing it.