Silsbee v Carthage

STiger85

43 minutes ago, MBaller#1 said:

You are correct this might be the best team that Carthage has but I’m hearing that Waco la vega might have the best defense in the state and they have been a big problem for Carthage so even if my tigers shock the world Waco la vega will probably be there waiting it just gets tougher from here.

Waco La Vega was a big problem for Carthage two years ago in the semi-finals.  RB Keaontay Ingram, then a sophomore, was out with an injury, and what was left of CHS's running game wasn't effective.  Being forced to rely on the passing attack didn't work too well against the La Vega secondary, which included 2 DI DBs.

Having been down this road many times recently, I imagine all of Carthage is aware the road tends to get tougher week by week.

One thing I've noticed about Carthage, if you're up on them at half, don't get excited.  They seem to have wrote "the book" on halftime adjustments.  That said, Silsbee will need their best effort, and a flawless game.  And maybe a few turnovers to take advantage of.  Maximum effort - Go Tigers!

On 11/25/2017 at 11:51 AM, STiger85 said:

These two teams have two common opponents in Huffman and Center. Carthage beat Center 42-12 and beat Huffman 46-10. Silsbee beat Huffman 61-30 and beat Center 37-17.

The deception in these two final scores against Center from both teams is, Carthage had us at their mercy. Center may have gotten one first down in the 35-0 beat down we received in the first half. But Surratt being the class act that he is let up and put a lot of his jv in the game in second half. The Bulldogs could've easily put 80+ on the board if not for that. And then, and only then were we able to move the ball and still only manage to score a measly 12 points. Now against Silsbee, they are no doubt a good team, or they wouldn't still be playing in December. They're just not a great team. I think if Silsbee fans were honest, they know it. When playing Center, Silsbee was up only by 10 at the end of the 3rd before the Tigers started to pull away in the 4th. Which I could tell after that last Silsbee TD it took the air out of our sail. There is no doubt in my mind that Carthage will win this game. All I can suggest to all you Tiger fans is to sit back and enjoy watching the greatest team that has ever came through the Carthage Bulldog football program, at least that's what coach Surratt said. Safe travels to both teams.

REBgp commented on Carthage's ability to make halftime adjustments.  The Bulldogs' final non-district game this season was against Gilmer, which was ranked #2 in the state at the time.  The game, which was played in Gilmer, was sold out during the week of the game. The Bulldogs, who have been ranked #1 in the state all year, trailed at halftime 28-13.  

The 2nd half was a different story.  Carthage outscored the Buckeyes 35-0 in the final 24 minutes to win 48-28.  The Bulldogs' defense limited Gilmer, which had more than 350 yards of offense in the 1st half, to only 50 yards in the 2nd half and scored 2 TDs on back-to-back Buckeye possessions. This is a dramatic example of Carthage's ability to adjust at the half.  

19 hours ago, Wise Old Owl said:

REBgp commented on Carthage's ability to make halftime adjustments.  The Bulldogs' final non-district game this season was against Gilmer, which was ranked #2 in the state at the time.  The game, which was played in Gilmer, was sold out during the week of the game. The Bulldogs, who have been ranked #1 in the state all year, trailed at halftime 28-13.  

The 2nd half was a different story.  Carthage outscored the Buckeyes 35-0 in the final 24 minutes to win 48-28.  The Bulldogs' defense limited Gilmer, which had more than 350 yards of offense in the 1st half, to only 50 yards in the 2nd half and scored 2 TDs on back-to-back Buckeye possessions. This is a dramatic example of Carthage's ability to adjust at the half.  

It's a dramatic example of an excellent coaching staff.  Hopefully their abilities are well known and appreciated and they will all take jobs at bigger schools or colleges during this off season.

Silsbee haven't turned the ball over in a few weeks.  Play the consistent football.  Young guns have been getting like 9 YPG during this winning streak, I think.  Defense is playing better.  If they can just continue what they've been doing and not have one of those LC-M or Shadow Creek games, Silsbee will be right in this.  Gonna be a game like last year, it'll be close, but Silsbee gets it somehow.

Silsbee - 35

The Champs - 34

I read a lot about speed this, speed that. Yes, Silsbee has a few of the fastest kids in the state. They almost won the state championship 4x100 last year ;). They had the same kids last year. Carthage knows how to deal with speed. I mean, Kilgore did win the 4x200 (beating Atlanta by .007 seconds), and it wasn't even a close game with them. 

Carthage has arguably the best coaching staff in the state. I have a very good feeling they will know how to deal with a couple of speedsters. 

If Silsbee wants to win, they will have to figure out how to get past not only the best front 7 they've faced, but quite possibly the best front 7 in 4A (they are in my opinion). To add to that, Silsbee will have to stop a very well rounded offense, that showcases the best RB in the state. The only time I've seen them struggle is when they shot themselves. 

I think Silsbee will see exactly why Carthage is the #1 team in the state come Friday night. I take nothing away from Silsbee, they have to be good to get this far, but Carthage is something special this season.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that should Silsbee pull this one out it will be the biggest win in school history.  Carthage is No. 1 - undefeated - we haven't beaten them in this century - just last year we had them on the ropes only to have our hopes dashed in the last seconds.  Chances like this don't come around every day.  I don't know how our kids feel about it seems like it would make them want to play every down as if it's the end of the world.  There are no other games.   This is the only game.  The emotional edge should go to the Tigers.  And it's a game of emotion.

A lot of us remember a time when Silsbee won this kind of game.  In 98 the Tigers met No. 2 ranked West Orange in the first round.  Silsbee had a good team and had a modestly successful year.  A very good Dayton team won the district that year and Silsbee was a respectable 2nd place.  It was a strong district.  My daughter was a senior that year and my son was a sophomore.  Unbelievable win.  We were helped by the elements, a small late season storm was blowing in off the Gulf.  Course it was almost a foregone conclusion that Stephenville was going to win state that year, but we had a very good run.  Came out of nowhere and made it to the quarter finals.  Ironically that was the last time we beat Carthage.   I think it was the second round and we met in Conroe.

As a French High grad I was there when the Buffaloes wrote the book on coming out of nowhere.  All of us Buffaloes remember 84.  Every week it was like, did what just happened really happen?  It was like riding a magic carpet all the way to Texas Stadium and the Permian Panthers and the only Championship tie in Texas UIL history.  An unheralded, unknown, 6-4 district runner up team makes it to the championship game and plays the most famous high school program in the nation to a stand still.  Don't say it can't happen - I saw it happen.

Interestingly, we had just moved back from Odessa in 82.  We had experienced a couple of seasons of Mojo football during the Wilkerson era.  My wife's stepmother was a Panther and my sister-in-law graduated from Permian.  We were of course familiar with dynasties having lost to PNG in my junior and senior year in the first round.  Both years the Indians made it all the way to state.  We had the misfortune of being right next door and an early victim.  In 75 I think we had better talent.  We were stronger bigger and faster.  We just weren't quite as good.  We came closer to beating them than anybody else that year.  We held them to 6 points but only managed a safety.  Interestingly that year they beat Permian for the title.  

Anyway.

Carthago delenda est

CHS Bulldogs' Season-to-date stats

Points scored per game        46

Points allowed per game      19

Yards gained per game      446 

Rushing yards per game    217 (49%)

Passing yards per game    229  (51%)

RB Keaontay Ingram's  Season-to-date stats 

Carries                              145 (12/game) 

Rushing yards                1,700 (142/game)

Avg. yards per carry        11.7

TDs                                    29 (28 rushing)

WR Dee Bowens's Season-to-date stats

Catches                         46 (3.8/game)

Receiving yards           947 (79/game)

Avg. yards per catch   20.6

TD catches                    16

WR Dewaylon Ingram's Season-to-date stats

Catches                         48 (4/game)

Receiving yards           879 (73/game)

Avg. yards per catch   18.3

TD catches                    12

WR Mekhi Colbert's Season-to-date stats (an All-State DB)

Catches                         39 (3.3/game)

Receiving yards          618 (52/game)

Avg. yards per catch  15.8

TD catches                     4

QB Gunner Capps's Season-to-date stats

Completions                         167 (14/game)

Attempts                               270 (22.5/game)

Yards                                 2,749 (229/game)

Avg. yards per completion   16.5

TD passes                              35 (2.9/game)

INTs                                       6