Silsbee v Carthage

STiger85

The Silsbee Tigers will take on an ol' foe, the Carthage Bulldogs, in the Regional round of the playoffs. The Tigers (7-4) are the District 10 Co-Champs and the #1 seed, the Bulldogs are the defending 4A-DI state champions (12-0) are the #1 ranked team in state of Texas in 4A, the District 9 Champs the #1 seed. The game will be played in Lufkin at Abe Martin Stadium Friday at 7:30. This will be the sixth time these two teams have met in the playoffs with Carthage having a 4-1 record over Silsbee. These two teams have two common opponents in Huffman and Center. Carthage beat Center 42-12 and beat Huffman 46-10. Silsbee beat Huffman 61-30 and beat Center 37-17. The last two games have been exciting, in 2015 Carthage pulled away in the fourth quarter winning 56-40 and last year Carthage had to come from behind and score the game winning touchdown with 14 seconds left on the clock to jump start their playoff drive to a state championship. I expect nothing less from this years game. TigerNation!!!

11 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

I dont have a clue how to beat Carthage lol. All kidding aside they are about as complete of a team in every phase of the game as I have seen in a while. 

There gud. But not unbeatable.  Silsbee will give them all they can handle! ! Believe this or not not Silsbee is a faster team.i didn't say better. I said faster which will cause Carthage problem. It's all abt who wins the line of scrimmage. And yes I've seen them both play.

49 minutes ago, dj said:

There gud. But not unbeatable.  Silsbee will give them all they can handle! ! Believe this or not not Silsbee is a faster team.i didn't say better. I said faster which will cause Carthage problem. It's all abt who wins the line of scrimmage. And yes I've seen them both play.

Everyone is beatable but Carthage just does not have any glaring weakness to exploit. Kilgore and Henderson are really good football teams and Carthage woodshedded both of them. Maybe Silsbee can get it done...but it will not be easy.

Silsbee was a me to run really well against Carthage last year...  So is it that much different up front for them?  Meaning the D-Line.  Are they that much better than last year?  Because Silsbee's O-Line is better than last year's...  If Silsbee can play bully ball like they be been doing well over a month now, then it'll come down to if Silsbee's defense can slow Mr. Ingram and the Bulldog offense down...

11 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

Everyone is beatable but Carthage just does not have any glaring weakness to exploit. Kilgore and Henderson are really good football teams and Carthage woodshedded both of them. Maybe Silsbee can get it done...but it will not be easy.

I agree it want be easy at all. The question is can Silsbee slow down that running game ,? Bc offensive Silsbee is really clicking so I kno they will score.they can't give Carthage any easy scores bc it really puts them behind the 8 ball.

I don't know about their passing game, but I've seen video of their running style.  They're like us, except they run out of an offset I formation, but its a power run game.  O-Linemen block well, and Ingram isn't that much faster than last year, but he's a load to bring down.  You gotta hit this guy before he gets a full head of steam.  Our linemen will need to have a huge day.  

On offense nothing spectacular, just can't have any turnovers or any stalled drives.  We need scores every drive.  We have an excellent kicking game, so no shame in kicking that FG.  

We'll win the field position battle because they won't punt or kick to us, so we need to make them pay.  

They're undefeated and have been plowing the competition, so I see nothing wrong with them taking their first loss Friday.  

6 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I don't know about their passing game, but I've seen video of their running style.  They're like us, except they run out of an offset I formation, but its a power run game.  O-Linemen block well, and Ingram isn't that much faster than last year, but he's a load to bring down.  You gotta hit this guy before he gets a full head of steam.  Our linemen will need to have a huge day.  

On offense nothing spectacular, just can't have any turnovers or any stalled drives.  We need scores every drive.  We have an excellent kicking game, so no shame in kicking that FG.  

We'll win the field position battle because they won't punt or kick to us, so we need to make them pay.  

They're undefeated and have been plowing the competition, so I see nothing wrong with them taking their first loss Friday.  

Every drive??

Sounds like you are putting this game on the offense shoulders.

If anything, this game is on the Tiger defense, not the offense.

16 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Every drive??

Sounds like you are putting this game on the offense shoulders.

If anything, this game is on the Tiger defense, not the offense.

Not at all.  I stated what we need to do on BOTH sides of the ball.  Read right above and see what I said about doing their power run game. I can't speak on their passing game because I haven't seen Carthage passing footage...

Point is, we need huge showings in both sides of the ball and on special teams to pull off this upset.

Strange that I had to reword this...  

5 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Not at all.  I stated what we need to do on BOTH sides of the ball.  Read right above and see what I said about doing their power run game. I can't speak on their passing game because I haven't seen Carthage passing footage...

Point is, we need huge showings in both sides of the ball and on special teams to pull off this upset.

Will need more than huge showings on both sides and ST.  Will need help from Carthage as well.  But still don’t see it.

30 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

But if your are saying the offense NEEDS to score EVERY drive, then that's putting the emphasis on the offense.

Why not state the defense needs to keep Carthage out of the end zone EVERY drive?

Although Carthage has won 5 state championships in the past 9 years and got all the way to the semi-finals 2 of the other 4 years, many of their fans think this may be their best team ever.  They have not only the best RB in the state according to many of the recruiting services, but also 3 legitimate threats at WR, all of whom started for last year's state championship team.  And their junior QB has the arm to get it to them. 

Defensively, 4 of their front 7 started last year. One of those is a 225-lb. All-State LB.  Of the 3 new starters, one is another 225-lb. LB who was All-State at Crockett last year.  Another new starter is a sophomore DE who is projected to be a DI player.

I'll provide season stats later for those who are interested.

2017 Carthage would beat 2016 Carthage by 20+. You boys are in for a treat. Better work on the passing game, cause nobody has run at will on this D this year. Silsbee will not consistently score if they cannot be balanced. If you try to compare Carthage D this year to when they played Silsbee last year you are very sadly mistaken. It's not even close. With that said Silsbee has the athletes to make it a game. I also like the direction the new coach is taking the program. I love yalls offense. But this is not the year. This very well could be the best Carthage team we have ever had. In all seriousness gimme Carthage by 20+. Something like 48-24.

13 minutes ago, Wise Old Owl said:

Of the 3 new starters, one is another 225-lb. LB who was All-State at Crockett last year.

Just so we are clear Ahmad grew up in Carthage his whole life. Started for Carthage as a sophomore until he got injured late in the season. His mom got a job coaching in Crockett, and he went with her his junior year. He came back home for his senior year. I just don't want to hear any "recruiting" talk. Just thought I would clear it up.