Earl Thomas and Orange

navydawg31

51 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

From the article about earl giving back is what is great. I see it first hand tons of athletes don’t give back to their community. Earl Has never gave up on Orange and gave tons back to the community. That bit about it is what sets him apart from other athletes. 

So he is polar opposite of Kevin Smith then...

It wasn't the most nuanced article but its not far off the mark.  But then again you could take Beaumont and Port Arthur and say similar things, except the racist comments come from those that live just outside  the city limits.

Just because you don't like the messenger doesn't mean he wrong.

You can find evidence that the article bears truth by reading some of the comments on this site. Take the Central Ozen thread regarding the possible merger of the schools. I can tell who's white and who's black just by the comments.

No one says such vile things about PNG Nederland Lumberton, etc. Yet its open season. On Ozen central and memorial.

The only reason why WOS gets a pass because none of the usual suspects can beat them.

That's a sad state of affairs.

If I never left the area I'd probably be more defensive about it. But the years away have opened my eyes a bit.

Still love home, I'll always claim it but I'll never move back. 

While it doesn't reflect all the pepole in the communuty, in my opinion it tells a true story. Since I moved away I realized that in some places in setx racial tension can be cut with a knife it's so thick. You just dont see it much in some other places. The evidence is here in the sports forum and politcal forum.

I think it did however, paint a negative picture of the town. I have never had issues in orange, but I'm not from orange. I havent lived there to see anything. I'm from pa.  I have had problems with negativity in some of the other places, most notably that place that Thomas said he wouldn't go. 

So in summary whIle I think it paints far too negative a picture of the homely place I personally know orange as, there are some truths in it. It's where we all are from, and we have come A LONG WAY. There is still much work to be done. People are human and therefore fallibe.

ESPN is more like MSNBC than the ESPN most of us grew up with.

No doubt there is racial tension in Orange, it’s all over the south, and it’s not a 1 way street like the liberal media wants you to believe.  There’s as much racism in Port Arthur and Beaumont than in Vidor.

Earl, and anyone else his color has a greater chance or being robbed or worse in Orange, than in Vidor.

This poorly written story makes Orange look much worse than what it is.

So how was Orange supposed to be represented in this story? From what I'm reading in this thread, seems like it should sunshine and rainbows talking about it. The writer's not incorrect when he says that most white students are sent to LC-M or Orangefield (why they don't go to WO-S, I'll leave for others). Bridge City had a racist incident just last year. And Vidor, fair or not, has it's past reputation preceding them.

That's before even bringing up the Confederate monument issue on MARTIN LUTHER KING DRIVE.

I'm not sure what you want the writer to do, short of not writing the story. It's not a public relations story. It may not be the whole city but that doesn't make it an inaccurate story.

12 minutes ago, dBerrySports said:

So how was Orange supposed to be represented in this story? From what I'm reading in this thread, seems like it should sunshine and rainbows talking about it. The writer's not incorrect when he says that most white students are sent to LC-M or Orangefield (why they don't go to WO-S, I'll leave for others). Bridge City had a racist incident just last year. And Vidor, fair or not, has it's past reputation preceding them.

That's before even bringing up the Confederate monument issue on MARTIN LUTHER KING DRIVE.

I'm not sure what you want the writer to do, short of not writing the story. It's not a public relations story. It may not be the whole city but that doesn't make it an inaccurate story.

Are you from Orange? Probably not. Orange has many problems and challenges that aren't race related. There are many reasons some students attend certain schools in Orange (both ways) that aren't race related. There are also many positive school stories that demonstrate camaraderie and mutual support that would have shown a different light on the Orange community. Orange is not free of race problems but nothing like the story highlights. I think it would be fare say that you could go to any community in the nation and get enough select quotes from interviews to paint a racial picture.

32 minutes ago, dBerrySports said:

I wonder why the writer did mention that Earl went to LC-M? 

Yes the author did fail to mention that Earl did at one time attend LCM schools or the fact that when Earl bought a house here he bought in LCM school district practically next to the high school and when he bought his parents a house here he bought them one in Mauriceville very close to the Vidor city limits.

4 minutes ago, marshman said:

Yes the author did fail to mention that Earl did at one

This is the hidden content, please
LCM schools or the fact that when Earl bought a hole here he bought in LCM school district practically next to the high school and when he bought his parents a house here he bought them one in Mauriceville very close to the Vidor city limits.

The author also acted like Bridge City and area cities are farther then they actually are. I thought it was strange, I wonder how accurate of a report it really was.....

25 minutes ago, mat said:

Are you from Orange? Probably not. Orange has many problems and challenges that aren't race related. There are many reasons some students attend certain schools in Orange (both ways) that aren't race related. There are also many positive school stories that demonstrate camaraderie and mutual support that would have shown a different light on the Orange community. Orange is not free of race problems but nothing like the story highlights. I think it would be fare say that you could go to any community in the nation and get enough select quotes from interviews to paint a racial picture.

I agree, I did not care for the article. Orange could be alot better place to live. But the City/ County refuse to bring businesses to town. 

Rather than continue to post my thoughts, I am going to post what I saw on facebook from a friend of mine and a fellow WO-S graduate.  He posts here from time to time and I know many others know and respect him as much as I do.  That, plus I really can't improve on this as setting out the feelings regarding this "article.":

"As I was riding back from the game last night, we made the Bucees stop in Waller. Christmas music was playing via my IHeart Radio 92.5 Beaumont. my wife and son were all nestled in their slumber on the last leg from Bucees to Pflugerville. I was thinking about the article that was the latest rendition from the left coast regarding Earl Thomas. Deep down, it felt like the writer had more of a “twist” he was really spinning. To me, the celebrity of this was not really focused upon. I regret that twist on our hometown. We are no different than communities all around the country. We are not without blemish. My hometown struggles to land the next DuPont that carried Orange for years; helping many small business startups we knew as kids. My mind thought of many. The evolution of the market changes, and current global financial paradigms, certainly play a part of growth struggles. However, painting us as a town devoid of “good”, is distasteful. I am not blind to racial struggles, nor socio-economic divides. However, I’ve lost count on how many posts I’ve read about the incredible love, unity, and joint heroic efforts, performed by OUR citizens. In turbulent times, we usually find out who we are at the core, when the “waters get deep”. Everywhere I travel, I’m proud to tell people I’m from Orange, Texas. Even far away in travels, I don’t say Houston, as some people tend to do for geographic identity. It’s always, and only, Orange. So, I guess I feel that the article simply trashed who we really are. Those who know me best, know that I’m not silent when the time comes to stand for truth. Well, this time is no different. Orange, Texas is a wonderful community. It’s diverse. It’s a place where kids are all really friends. It’s a people proud of hard work and accomplishments. We are not the To Kill A Mockingbird idiots. We are a wonderful story of people who make their way. We are a people that are a whole lot more alike, than a FEW want it to be. I love my town. I can’t be silent on letting us be painted in a light that goes beyond the smudges on our shirts, without stating all the beauty of who I know Orange folk to be. Don’t be concerned too much about the few instances of bad vs the incredible stories, of incredible families, friends, events, heritages, etc..... In the book Friday Night Lights, the author went to Odessa and took full advantage of ripping that town. Some truths were stated. But, he made a killing at the expense of some incredible people. I felt this way in this article I read yesterday. Stay off all my homies in Orange. We are better than that!!!! Not without blemish, but so much more than that “agenda” in the article. I love you Fruit City."

There are idiots in every town in America. Orange, like many, has clear territorial divides and some of all ethnicities prefer it that way.  I have never shied away from any segment of town.  I feel just as comfortable in the “Navy Addition” as where I live in the unincorporated area of Orange. I grew up in East Texas in a town with no diversity, and I much prefer it here.  I have represented people from all parts of Orange and know I have done it well.  I have friends in the areas of Orange that some white folks wouldn’t step foot after dark.  But that is fear and ignorance and not taking the time to know and understand their neighbors.  Maybe it is because of the ties I have made in my profession, but I know many of those folks to be as good and loyal to me as any of the folks in my actual neighborhood, more so probably if truth be told.  

There were plenty of truths in the article, but much like Buzz Bissinger as referenced by WOSgrad, this author definitely had an agenda.  I love the town I have come to call home and hope to see a recovery, both from recent disaster and from a struggling economy.  Because what I have found beyond what the author pointed out, is a community that is resilient, neighborly, and more often than not willing to lend a helping hand.  

And what should have been abundantly clear to the author is the fact that despite the subject of his article spends his seasons in one of the most aesthetically pleasing spots in all of this country, when he has a choice of where to lay his head (i.e., the offseason), it is right back in Orange, Texas.  I wonder why?

9 hours ago, dBerrySports said:

So... the community renamed a street to honor MLK and then some individual erected a monument to confederate veterans, proving the community is racist?

Its like anything else. Racism sells. Nobody wants to read a story about a man’s good deeds. A story with elements about racism gets blood pumping of both sides. Do you remember the hoopla when that kid shot up the black church in SC? A solid month of media hysteria that resulted in confederate flag bans and the fact that I can’t even watch the Dukes of Hazzard reruns anymore. Did it seem like the church shooting a couple of weeks ago where 3x as many people were killed got the same amount of attention? Hardly. But there wasn’t a racist angle for the media to exploit. 

I think that ET3 is a heckuva football player,a role model for his humanitarian works, and a fantastic human being. He deserves a story about himself that isn’t stretched over a framework of tales about regional racism. But then again, nobody would read that story even if ESPN published it. 

9 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Rather than continue to post my thoughts, I am going to post what I saw on facebook from a friend of mine and a fellow WO-S graduate.  He posts here from time to time and I know many others know and respect him as much as I do.  That, plus I really can't improve on this as setting out the feelings regarding this "article.":

"As I was riding back from the game last night, we made the Bucees stop in Waller. Christmas music was playing via my IHeart Radio 92.5 Beaumont. my wife and son were all nestled in their slumber on the last leg from Bucees to Pflugerville. I was thinking about the article that was the latest rendition from the left coast regarding Earl Thomas. Deep down, it felt like the writer had more of a “twist” he was really spinning. To me, the celebrity of this was not really focused upon. I regret that twist on our hometown. We are no different than communities all around the country. We are not without blemish. My hometown struggles to land the next DuPont that carried Orange for years; helping many small business startups we knew as kids. My mind thought of many. The evolution of the market changes, and current global financial paradigms, certainly play a part of growth struggles. However, painting us as a town devoid of “good”, is distasteful. I am not blind to racial struggles, nor socio-economic divides. However, I’ve lost count on how many posts I’ve read about the incredible love, unity, and joint heroic efforts, performed by OUR citizens. In turbulent times, we usually find out who we are at the core, when the “waters get deep”. Everywhere I travel, I’m proud to tell people I’m from Orange, Texas. Even far away in travels, I don’t say Houston, as some people tend to do for geographic identity. It’s always, and only, Orange. So, I guess I feel that the article simply trashed who we really are. Those who know me best, know that I’m not silent when the time comes to stand for truth. Well, this time is no different. Orange, Texas is a wonderful community. It’s diverse. It’s a place where kids are all really friends. It’s a people proud of hard work and accomplishments. We are not the To Kill A Mockingbird idiots. We are a wonderful story of people who make their way. We are a people that are a whole lot more alike, than a FEW want it to be. I love my town. I can’t be silent on letting us be painted in a light that goes beyond the smudges on our shirts, without stating all the beauty of who I know Orange folk to be. Don’t be concerned too much about the few instances of bad vs the incredible stories, of incredible families, friends, events, heritages, etc..... In the book Friday Night Lights, the author went to Odessa and took full advantage of ripping that town. Some truths were stated. But, he made a killing at the expense of some incredible people. I felt this way in this article I read yesterday. Stay off all my homies in Orange. We are better than that!!!! Not without blemish, but so much more than that “agenda” in the article. I love you Fruit City."

Good post. Very disappointing article but to be expected from ESPN. #Goldenrule#Humility

26 minutes ago, Realville said:

Good post. Very disappointing article but to be expected from ESPN. #Goldenrule#Humility

Ima say this and hopefully we all can get back to football bc even though we are all from different parts of setx we are all still one. I personally hated the article and the black eye it put on certain places.this is real talk .I've known the momma and his dad over 40yrs.grew up next door to his mother.he has done a few things here.but don't put it like he is the savior of this town.we all have a choice in life and it's up to us to take advantage of that.i could say alot on here that ppl don't know. So back to football talk.

11 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Thanks Grad - didnt know how to express it - I was beginning to think I lived somewhere else - you tell the real story

I certainly recognize that everyone’s viewpoint is based on a perspective from their own experience. I understand the article touching on the social issue of the experience of a man of color. There is no doubt there is truth to be seen in it, no matter your color / culture. The point of my post that WOSGRAD posted, is how horrible the writer makes Orange sound. It’s a bit much. There is some good in Orange, Mr writer. No one should turn deaf ears and be one-sided. 

DB723262-E30A-4076-A934-BF01BBCFAB35.jpeg