Central/Ozen UIL situation

Bigdog

On 11/29/2017 at 0:55 PM, CardinalBacker said:

I'd normally be worried about a new bond passing since the construction process after the previous bond had so much controversy.  

The good news is that Beaumont, like Port Arthur, has enough voters with no "skin in the game" that the bond should pass without any real resistance.  When the average voter pays little (or no) property taxes, they don't worry about increased property taxes and bond issue after bond issue will pass without a problem.  

People who rent pay taxes. The landlord passes the property tax increases as rent increases every year.  Lets end the myth that only homeowners have skin in the game and they are a special class of citizens that deserve extra credit.

3 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

People who rent pay taxes. The landlord passes the property tax increases as rent increases every year.  Lets end the myth that only homeowners have skin in the game and they are a special class of citizens that deserve extra credit.

How does that affect people living in government housing and subsidized housing?

Lets end the myth that renters feel the same pain as people that pay their own property tax bill each year. Besides... the bulk of taxes are paid by businesses that have no voting rights. So in the case of PAT, voters keep voting for massive bond issues and the bulk of repayment via property taxes are paid by corporations and small business owners who have no say in the matter. 

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

How does that affect people living in government housing and subsidized housing?

Lets end the myth that renters feel the same pain as people that pay their own property tax bill each year. Besides... the bulk of taxes are paid by businesses that have no voting rights. So in the case of PAT, voters keep voting for massive bond issues and the bulk of repayment via property taxes are paid by corporations and small business owners who have no say in the matter. 

Rent goes up every year so that is a burden. Part of the reason rent goes up is property taxes go up. So they pay taxes.  As for subsidized housing that is a minority of the available housing in the area. They don't live there for free.  They are tax payers. They buy items in the community.  They have just as much say in how the community educates the children as home owners.  

Please put down your dog whistle. White people also live in public housing. 

As far as businesses are concerned if they paid a little more tax and paid a little more of the profits to their employees instead of the CEO the community would be in better shape. Because businesses fight valuation tooth and nail homeowner are now paying more than they have in history as a percentage. Be a man of the people, don't fight for the man.

4 hours ago, MackLewis said:

No way will BISD taxpayers pass another bond, if it comes down to that.  Actually, it wouldn’t surprise me if they did, although after the last fiasco, they should never be trusted again.

What do you mean they should never be trusted again.....Almost Everyone from the Regime that passed the last bond is gone. Plus these things are for the kids. Why wouldnt it get done

C’mon, man... you’re smarter than that. If you take care of your business and make good decisions, one day you’ll understand what an actual tax burden feels like. 

Who expects to bear the greater cost for a new bond issue... the guy living in a subsidized apartment or the guy who owns a $300k house and owns his own business? Now which one has more say on the subject? They’ve each only got one vote. 

Property taxes don’t care if your business is profitable. You carry the same burden if you’re getting rich or going broke. I know people who sell their house as part of their retirement plan because they can’t afford to pay their taxes on a paid for home on a fixed income. The solution is always “just dig deeper... you know... for the good of the rest of us.” A bond issue every two years for schools, a hospital district, etc, etc, etc.... and you end up with an indoor pool and schools you can’t hold class in.

You seem smart... one day you’ll earn enough money and own enough crap that and realize that “those other guys can always pay some more” crap is a lie. It’s not a racial issue... it’s a fiscal conservative versus tax and spend liberal issue. 

4 minutes ago, JagMarine95 said:

What do you mean they should never be trusted again.....Almost Everyone from the Regime that passed the last bond is gone. Plus these things are for the kids. Why wouldnt it get done

For the kids? 

Cities with small industrial tax bases and high home ownership vote down bond issues. See BC, Vidor, Nederland, and how hard PNG had to fight to get theirs passed. PAISD can pass one every time they open the polls. 

But go look at the extracurricular programs and tell me which communities do more “for the kids.” 

You can stroll into the admin offices and make a generous donation “for the kids” any time you want to. 

2 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Rent goes up every year so that is a burden. Part of the reason rent goes up is property taxes go up. So they pay taxes.  As for subsidized housing that is a minority of the available housing in the area. They don't live there for free.  They are tax payers. They buy items in the community.  They have just as much say in how the community educates the children as home owners.  

Please put down your dog whistle. White people also live in public housing. 

As far as businesses are concerned if they paid a little more tax and paid a little more of the profits to their employees instead of the CEO the community would be in better shape. Because businesses fight valuation tooth and nail homeowner are now paying more than they have in history as a percentage. Be a man of the people, don't fight for the man.

You are confused about sales taxes vs income and real estate taxes.  Not close to the same if someone is not paying rent/mortgage and income taxes only sales taxes vs someone who is paying all three.  

6 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

For the kids? 

Cities with small industrial tax bases and high home ownership vote down bond issues. See BC, Vidor, Nederland, and how hard PNG had to fight to get theirs passed. PAISD can pass one every time they open the polls. 

But go look at the extracurricular programs and tell me which communities do more “for the kids.” 

You can stroll into the admin offices and make a generous donation “for the kids” any time you want to. 

I blame it on no long term plan in Beaumont ISD. That goes back to a long time ago. None of the school boards ever had a plan. Every time one side of town squawked, they gave in. I still think opening a 3rd HS hurt Beaumont.

1 hour ago, bigdog said:

You are confused about sales taxes vs income and real estate taxes.  Not close to the same if someone is not paying rent/mortgage and income taxes only sales taxes vs someone who is paying all three.  

I pay  taxes. I'm not confused.  If you rent you are paying property tax through rent. I jumped cardinalbacker because he wants to make it seem like renters don't have skin in the game. They do. If you live in the community you are supporting the community in various ways through taxation.

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

For the kids? 

You cant compare those cities to Beaumont. Beaumont has a way higher population and a way bigger student population compared to those cities.    

7 hours ago, JagMarine95 said:

Citizens are still paying higher taxes for the last bond, which was poorly mishandled and borderline fraud.  How and why could you ask those same people to pay even more taxes again.

But I do agree since the crooks from the old board and administration are gone, the money would most likely be in much better hands.

8 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

I pay  taxes. I'm not confused.  If you rent you are paying property tax through rent. I jumped cardinalbacker because he wants to make it seem like renters don't have skin in the game. They do. If you live in the community you are supporting the community in various ways through taxation.

It’s not just renters I’m talking about. People who pay little (or in some cases, no) property taxes vote for bond issues. 

Once those people outnumber the people with higher property tax obligations, you see the community passing bonds for anything and everything.

11 hours ago, bigdog said:

AgaYou are confused about sales taxes vs income and real estate taxes.  Not close to the same if someone is not paying rent/mortgage and income taxes only sales taxes vs someone who is paying all three.  

again I'm not confused. Renters don't get to deduct property taxes like homeowners so that's an additional burden. Cry me a river. 

You don't want to acknowledge that people who rent have a valid say in how taxes are spent. And that's B.S.

Ummm...

Talked to friend about the possible Central/Ozen merger.  Came to the conclusion that:

The football team probably won't make the playoffs first year.  Beakng in 6a, you'll be in a district with West Brook.  They'll be good again next year, and if they're in the district with North Shore and the rest of those teams, they won't get in past NS, WB, Or any of those guys. Definitely not if they're in the district with the Humble schools (Atascocita, Summer Creek, ect.) . 

Basketball, they'll have the most success.  Central and Ozen never has problems with Basketball talent.  They'd probably my be an instant state contender.

Track, they'd be very good as well.  Athletes everywhere.

Baseball, uhh, no.  Soccer, maybe. 

Obviously, lots of things at play here.  Which parents are going to fully support the new school and what coaches will get the positions.  So many ways this thing can go.  I'm just interested in what numbers Mr. Jackson and the administration will go with this.  

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Ummm...

Talked to friend about the possible Central/Ozen merger.  Came to the conclusion that:

The football team probably won't make the playoffs first year.  Beakng in 6a, you'll be in a district with West Brook.  They'll be good again next year, and if they're in the district with North Shore and the rest of those teams, they won't get in past NS, WB, Or any of those guys. Definitely not if they're in the district with the Humble schools (Atascocita, Summer Creek, ect.) . 

Basketball, they'll have the most success.  Central and Ozen never has problems with Basketball talent.  They'd probably my be an instant state contender.

Obviously, lots of things at play here.  Which parents are going to fully support the new school and what coaches will get the positions.  So many ways this thing can go.  I'm just interested in what numbers Mr. Jackson and the administration will go with this.  

I wouldn't necessarily put off the football team being good, I feel with the merger the school may get thoes guys at Westbrook from the Pear Orchard as well as the kids walking the halls of Ozen due to the football team.not being good,  and trust me it's a few of them just walking around 

9 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I wouldn't necessarily put off the football team being good, I feel with the merger the school may get thoes guys at Westbrook from the Pear Orchard as well as the kids walking the halls of Ozen due to the football team.not being good,  and trust me it's a few of them just walking around 

Trust me, I know...  

19 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Trust me, I know...  

The real key in the whole process will be the coach, ...Dont matter how many athletes you have, if you don't have a coach worth a flip , it'll never be up to its potential .if we're being honest and kids go to where there post to This school should have some of the better athletes in the State, but with no good coaching and structure/program it won't matter 

11 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Ummm...

They need to be in the deer park/Laporte district. They wouldn’t have a problem with that one. 

3 minutes ago, Bulldogpower said:

It was weak as heck this year. They got swept in the playoffs. 

Agreed

Only one of those from that district is still salty, and that's North Shore. That district used to be some intense football, week in and week out. Lots of good players that went on to play Division 1 Football and later the NFL.