Central/Ozen UIL situation

Bigdog

16 hours ago, TexazBall said:

If we wanna keep the big Cat theme and a piece of Ozen and Central how about the 

Cougars with Maroon (central) and Gold (ozen) America 

I doubt it will be the Cougars because that was the mascot of BCP before it merged into Central.  Their colors were green and gold...

After Katrina hit my birth place of Port Sulphur, Louisiana and destroyed the entire area of Buras and Port Sulphur, they combined the two rival schools and made it the South Plaquemines Hurricanes. It's worked out for them. Hurricanes would be a good mascot, problem is the school name. I'm sure between Ozen and Central, they can come up with a name that represents both areas.

6 hours ago, Footballfan1209 said:

So with about a month left is their any news on the decision that needs to be made.

I made "a phone call" today and was told that the decision will probably be made at the latest by December 14th, but possibly earlier.  The "powers that be" are staying pretty tight lipped...

10 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

What do you mean, "done?"  The work has been completed or saving the school is a lost cause?  

It's done. The merger is being planned as we speak. The discussion is revolving around how to handle the backlash regarding the loss of tradition and history at Central.

10 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

It's done. The merger is being planned as we speak. The discussion is revolving around how to handle the backlash regarding the loss of tradition and history at Central.

I think the biggest obstacle is going to be with the rezoning.  Do they leave West Brook alone and just merge the boundary areas of Central and Ozen or do they move some of the North end boundaries to West Brook and send all of the South End, etc back to Ozen?

11 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

I think the biggest obstacle is going to be with the rezoning.  Do they leave West Brook alone and just merge the boundary areas of Central and Ozen or do they move some of the North end boundaries to West Brook and send all of the South End, etc back to Ozen?

How close would the numbers be if they simply kept the boundaries as is and just left West Brook alone and combined Central and Ozen?

Those who will hold tightly to the history of Central need to loosen their grip. I'm all for history and tradition, but the merger makes the most sense for the kids, and for the financial viability of the district. Once they merge, they will pass a bond and build a new high school that will be fabulous. The kids that have been dealing with sub par facilities and technology will have state of the art facilities and technology. The bad teachers will be weeded out leaving only the best of the best from each campus. Education quality will rise, opportunity will rise, student success will rise. It's best for all involved.

Let the tradition argument go.....it's not valid.

Not to mention the potential to take that third FB coach salary and split it between the two 6A schools, allowing them to actually pay a 6A salary to the football coaches. The names that might jump at the chance to coach a combined Central and Ozen squad for a competitive salary might shock us all. Plus, a district matchup between WB and "the school to be named later" would be something to look forward to year in and year out. This is all positive.

Finally a BOM that truly cares about the kids and the future of BISD rather than their own interests.

7 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Those who will hold tightly to the history of Central need to loosen their grip. I'm all for history and tradition, but the merger makes the most sense for the kids, and for the financial viability of the district. Once they merge, they will pass a bond and build a new high school that will be fabulous. The kids that have been dealing with sub par facilities and technology will have state of the art facilities and technology. The bad teachers will be weeded out leaving only the best of the best from each campus. Education quality will rise, opportunity will rise, student success will rise. It's best for all involved.

It really does stink for those Central graduates that are proud of their school, but it was terrible for the graduates of South Park and Hebert and French as well. There is a long tradition of consolidation of schools in BISD. This will be just another step in the right direction. Doing what is best for the students NOW is what is important.

13 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Not to mention the potential to take that third FB coach salary and split it between the two 6A schools, allowing them to actually pay a 6A salary to the football coaches. The names that might jump at the chance to coach a combined Central and Ozen squad for a competitive salary might shock us all. Plus, a district matchup between WB and "the school to be named later" would be something to look forward to year in and year out. This is all positive.

Finally a BOM that truly cares about the kids and the future of BISD rather than their own interests.

Heck, we're still waiting on the board that we voted for to actually be seated...  The board that's present is the BOM that they want to stay in place for a little longer...

1 hour ago, 2wedge said:

Not going to argue the tradition part with you because I'm in agreement with you on doing what's best for the kids.  I have 4 that will graduate 4 consecutive years starting with the class of 2019.   

The part I don't agree with is that a bond will pass.  We've already had people on this site complaining about their taxes.  The Westenders have their schools, this doesn't affect them, so they will turn-out and vote "NO"...