What do You Know About Scientology ?

Hagar

A&E has a series on Scientology that, I believe, comes on Sunday night at 7.  Out of curiosity, we recorded a few.  I had no idea what kind of brainwashing these people have been thru.  And the "church" (using that word rather loosely) has full control over your money, and demands you only associate with other scientologist, and can demand you get an abortion.  And each member has to sign a myriad of legal, binding contracts.  How do you say con/cult?  And from what little I've seen, many (most?) are very successful financially.  And if any family member leaves, say a G'pa w/4 grandkids, he's not allowed to have any contact with the G'kids. I'm simply fascinated.  

I’ve told REB about this but I watched an HBO doc about them that was terrifying. I have a buddy in San Antonio who has sued them and been tied up in litigation with them for years.  Can’t disclose much about that other than to say some of the stuff he’s told me has been bone chilling.  

Scientology is a textbook cult and L Ron just didn’t live long enough to have all of his minions off themselves.  Sorry if anyone on this board is a member and offended.  But if you are, you’ve been duped in the worst way and need to hear it anyway. 

18 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I’ve told REB about this but I watched an HBO doc about them that was terrifying. I have a buddy in San Antonio who has sued them and been tied up in litigation with them for years.  Can’t disclose much about that other than to say some of the stuff he’s told me has been bone chilling.  

Scientology is a textbook cult and L Ron just didn’t live long enough to have all of his minions off themselves.  Sorry if anyone on this board is a member and offended.  But if you are, you’ve been duped in the worst way and need to hear it anyway. 

Further proof some will call anything a religion and "church".  Keep it in Hollyweird!

29 minutes ago, BS Wildcats said:

It seems there are "churches" popping up everywhere.  I think some are using this for just that purpose,jmo.

That's the thing about Scientology, they're not remotely a Church, they're a brainwashed cult.  They remind me of the Heavens Gate bunch where all 39 committed suicide when a comet was coming by.  

11 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Liked your post up until you apologized in case you offended someone. I walk on eggshells for no one. It is what has turned us into a nation of wusses. Being offended builds character and gives the “victim” the option of figuring a way to let it roll off their proverbial backs. Apologizing tends to encourage thumb sucking on the victim's part.

I know nothing about Scientology other than Katie Holmes left Tom Cruise in fear for her and her kid's life. I know it is a whacko religion akin to the “Moonies” in that you practically give up all worldly possessions. I hope I offended someone with the whacko comment.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, jv_coach said:

I heard Hubbard just wanted to make up a religion and so he made one up

I can't in no way understand how you get relatively intelligent people to buy into his made up religion?  How does it happen?  Are so many people missing the "logic gene"?  You know, I never gave much thought to what Abe said, but part of his quote speaks of a similar scenario, "You can fool some of the people all the time".  Guess I'm not the only one befuddled about stuff like this.

On 12/16/2017 at 10:00 AM, REBgp said:

I can't in no way understand how you get relatively intelligent people to buy into his made up religion?  How does it happen?  Are so many people missing the "logic gene"?  You know, I never gave much thought to what Abe said, but part of his quote speaks of a similar scenario, "You can fool some of the people all the time".  Guess I'm not the only one befuddled about stuff like this.

People want on top of the ponzie scheme and the rest are gullible to lies because they reject the truth 

On December 17, 2017 at 2:20 PM, jv_coach said:

People want on top of the ponzie scheme and the rest are gullible to lies because they reject the truth 

To paraphrase what Jack Nicholson said, "They can't handle the truth".

I said that kind of tongue in cheek.  Our faith in our Christian beliefs is just that, faith.  I can understand an atheist who just doesn't have faith, but what I can't understand is someone that rejects faith in Christianity, then puts their faith in a religion created by a science fiction writer?  On another site, they have an emoji of a guy beating his head on a wall.  That would be so appropriate for me to place here, for I can make no sense of it.

I lived in pt Reyes, ca for a year or so, while in the coast guard.  The Scientiologists had a big headquarters outside of town, along hwy 1.  As you go North, there's this cove, full of white sharks, on the left,  and their building is on the right.  Anyway, one day I was driving on hwy 1, and their bus was coming the other direction.  It was a sunny day and light was such that you could see everything in that bus.  Every one of them was sitting there with this spaced out, zoned out look.  

I tried to read this big fat science fiction book written by L Ron Hubbard, but I couldn't get into it.  

I've always been curious as to why hollywood actors and actresses are so inclined to join them.  But, hollywood would not exist if the rest of america didn't spend all their money making them rich.  

On 12/25/2017 at 8:41 AM, REBgp said:

To paraphrase what Jack Nicholson said, "They can't handle the truth".

I said that kind of tongue in cheek.  Our faith in our Christian beliefs is just that, faith.  I can understand an atheist who just doesn't have faith, but what I can't understand is someone that rejects faith in Christianity, then puts their faith in a religion created by a science fiction writer?  On another site, they have an emoji of a guy beating his head on a wall.  That would be so appropriate for me to place here, for I can make no sense of it.

Christians do have a reasonable faith, unlike the cults and man made religions. 

I Peter 3:15

but honor the Messiah as Lord in your hearts. Always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

15 hours ago, jv_coach said:

Christians do have a reasonable faith, unlike the cults and man made religions. 

I Peter 3:15

but honor the Messiah as Lord in your hearts. Always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

I'm not proud of this, but about 30 years ago, in what I interpret as humanly "pride", I started to rationalize that it wasn't such a big deal, Jesus dying on the cross, because a) it was the will of his Father (God), and B) his faith was a 100% faith (he could move mountains, or planets if desired, while we struggle to attain less than a mustard seed).  Wasn't to long afterward I was in Church and our Priest gave a homily on that sacrifice, pointing out how that in relation to God, we were as insignificant as a pissant, yet he loves us so much, he put his son through the painful crucifixion process.  As my feeble brain processed that, I sit there, embarrassed and ashamed, with a new faith.  Still not the size of a mustard seed, but infinitely more than what I had had.

• 2 months later...