3 UCLA Basketball Players Arrested in China

PhatMack19

On 11/11/2017 at 11:43 AM, BS Wildcats said:

Lil' punk Ball driving a Ferrari and feeling the need to steal.  Idiot!!

Why does the kid have to be a punk because he drives an expensive car?? His Father is over the top, but he has put his kids First. The marketing he has done for his Family is genius. Most are mad because he won't allow them to capitalize off of his kids. I wish more Athletes would use this sort of leverage. Learn how to market yourself & turn the tables on the endorsers & sponsors before they can use you & throw you away. Now back on topic; such poor judgement by the players. Don't cry now. Take whatever punishment given in the other Country. Hopefully they will appreciate the liberties we have in America and come back with a greater appreciation. We're not a perfect Country, but I'd rather be here than any other Country in the World.

2 hours ago, Bigcam2903 said:

Comment very unnecessary, but you wonder why some question the timing of your undertones.

There are lots of comments on here that are unnecessary.  But, for the record, I was being sarcastic about that remark because it was made(absurdly) by a couple of NFL players and I contend, , that no NFL player is anywhere close to being a slave and the statement was a total "crock"  By the way, some  question all "undertones(correction- perceived undertones) at all times.   On another note, I find it interesting that Mr. Trump, who is obviously loose lipped is considered by some as a disgrace to the office but another extremely loose lipped individual named Lavar Ball is simply a marketing genius.

40 minutes ago, stevenash said:

There are lots of comments on here that are unnecessary.  But, for the record, I was being sarcastic about that remark because it was made(absurdly) by a couple of NFL players and I contend, , that no NFL player is anywhere close to being a slave and the statement was a total "crock"  By the way, some  question all "undertones(correction- perceived undertones) at all times.   On another note, I find it interesting that Mr. Trump, who is obviously loose lipped is considered by some as a disgrace to the office but another extremely loose lipped individual named Lavar Ball is simply a marketing genius.

You don’t make a distinction between the “leader of the free world” and a father marketing his son?  You contend the levels of decorum should be the same for both?

19 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

You don’t make a distinction between the “leader of the free world” and a father marketing his son?  You contend the levels of decorum should be the same for both?

I guess I should respond by asking  if you think that Mr. Balls  conduct( as well as that of his son visiting China) is acceptable simply because he is not the President?  By the way, I find some of the Presidents activities to be less than desireable.

Why does the kid have to be a punk because he drives an expensive car?? His Father is over the top, but he has put his kids First. The marketing he has done for his Family is genius. Most are mad because he won't allow them to capitalize off of his kids. I wish more Athletes would use this sort of leverage. Learn how to market yourself & turn the tables on the endorsers & sponsors before they can use you & throw you away. Now back on topic; such poor judgement by the players. Don't cry now. Take whatever punishment given in the other Country. Hopefully they will appreciate the liberties we have in America and come back with a greater appreciation. We're not a perfect Country, but I'd rather be here than any other Country in the World.

I didn't say he was a punk for driving a Ferrari.  I called him a punk because he felt the need to steal.  He drives a Ferrari and should not have to steal.  Maybe you misunderstood my statement.  As far as the daddy being a marketing genius, that remains to be seen.  I've never had the desire to own a pair of Jordan's, but I don't think they ever retailed at the store for $400.  BBB may want to rethink that price point.  

48 minutes ago, BS Wildcats said:

I didn't say he was a punk for driving a Ferrari.  I called him a punk because he felt the need to steal.  He drives a Ferrari and should not have to steal.  Maybe you misunderstood my statement.  As far as the daddy being a marketing genius, that remains to be seen.  I've never had the desire to own a pair of Jordan's, but I don't think they ever retailed at the store for $400.  BBB may want to rethink that price point.  

I didn't mean marketing as far as shoes are concerned. I'm speaking of the Ball Brand. LaVar Ball is what every young aspiring athlete needs. Someone to show you the business side of sports. He marches to his own Beat, doesn't apologize for his actions & has a hand in all the decisions concerning his Family. Some don't like it, but he doesn't care. There have been plenty of high profile HS & College athletes, the one thing they didn't have was a Suave & Shrewd Father guiding & handling their Future. Again, Genius!!!!!

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

I know you like Nash, but he has too many condescending undertones for me. If he were a friend of mind I'd have to take a knee. 

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

I guess I should respond by asking  if you think that Mr. Balls  conduct( as well as that of his son visiting China) is acceptable simply because he is not the President?  By the way, I find some of the Presidents activities to be less than desireable.

Ball has dedicated his life to his sons and his family.  He is devoted to his wife and them.  Do I agree with all his actions and words?  Certainly not.  Is Gelo a dipsh$; for shoplifting, foreign country or not?  Absolutely.   But I tend to agree with Bigcam that’s there’s a method to his madness.  He has built a brand and the price point on the shoes aside, it seems to have been successful.  Some would say he’s crazy like a fox.  

But you are the one who brought Trump into this.  And I would think that most would agree with me when I say, again, that the leader of the free world should have more of a filter someone in Lavar’s position (which is basically just a father).  One is representing his family and has nothing to do with you or me.  The other is representing all of us to the rest of the world.  LaVar can make a third grade comment and it reflects badly on him and his family.  When Trump tweets a third grade comment, it’s embarrassing to all of us who haven’t imbibed the kool aid....

I agree Hoops, Mr Ball has taken the Bull by the horns & turned the tables on Corporate America. As for our President, I try not to go back & forth about Administrations. I didn't Vote for Mr Trump, but I agree with some of his policies & statements. I won't come on here and blame him for my problems that I certainly had before he took office. All parties need to stop that madness. Anyway, Lavar Ball will do things his way & change the way his kids are approached. Whether it be Colleges or Professional Sports,   Daddy Ball is here for now

I know you like Nash, but he has too many condescending undertones for me. If he were a friend of mind I'd have to take a knee. 

3 hours ago, BS Wildcats said:

The undertones you speak of are simply you own interpretation of them.  Ex;  My remark about the UCLA kids using "i feel like a slave" had absolutely ZERO to do with race but rather the absurdity of some professional football players making the comment.  But, if you wish, you can certainly believe there is a racial implication involved in it.  In fact, if one tries hard enough, one can interpret just about anything anybody says as having a veiled reference to race.  Do you honestly believe that corporate America harms professional athletes?  Did Nike hurt M.J. in some way?  Has Under Armor done irreparable harm to Jordan Speith?  If my memory is correct, those evil greedy corporations pay a rather handsome sum to their "victims" don't they?  And I agree with BS Wildcats about daddy being a marketing genius.  It's way too early in the game to declare him the next Phil Knight.  The markets  will  ultimately determine the success/failure of Lavar Ball .

52 minutes ago, stevenash said:

The undertones you speak of are simply you own interpretation of them.  Ex;  My remark about the UCLA kids using "i feel like a slave" had absolutely ZERO to do with race but rather the absurdity of some professional football players making the comment.  But, if you wish, you can certainly believe there is a racial implication involved in it.  In fact, if one tries hard enough, one can interpret just about anything anybody says as having a veiled reference to race.  Do you honestly believe that corporate America harms professional athletes?  Did Nike hurt M.J. in some way?  Has Under Armor done irreparable harm to Jordan Speith?  If my memory is correct, those evil greedy corporations pay a rather handsome sum to their "victims" don't they?  And I agree with BS Wildcats about daddy being a marketing genius.  It's way too early in the game to declare him the next Phil Knight.  The markets  will  ultimately determine the success/failure of Lavar Ball .

Again young Jedi, I didn't say  Corporate America hurt any of the guys you mentioned( although we're talking about Ball) I'm saying  Daddy has dictated how his sons are handled. Very different from what you claim I spoke about. Evidently you don't know much about Lavar Ball because he has rewritten the rules of how anyone will handle his kids' careers. As far as being Phil Knight, he has a way to go, but who would have thought he would have gotten this far with his scheme? Bottoms line is he has something they want so they will do as he says. Genius

7 hours ago, Bigcam2903 said:

He put his kids first?  Most people hate his kids because of daddy’s mouth.  The kids haven’t done anything to warrant that, but daddy with his “genius” marketing has put huge targets on all 3 of their backs.  

LaVar has mostly likely already cost the youngest kid his college eligibility so he could pocket some money off of a signature shoe for a junior in HS.  I hope it was all worth it and the kid pans out.  If not, he will be playing overseas in some obscure gym in Europe so daddy could make a few bucks.  

There are hundreds of examples of helicopter parents that re-live their childhood dreams through their kids.  You see it all of the time in sports and entertainment, and most of the time the parents end up robbing the child star blind.  I guess we will have to wait and see how LaVar’s genius marketing of his kids plays out.

10 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

He put his kids first?  Most people hate his kids because of daddy’s mouth.  The kids haven’t done anything to warrant that, but daddy with his “genius” marketing has put huge targets on all 3 of their backs.  

LaVar has mostly likely already cost the youngest kid his college eligibility so he could pocket some money off of a signature shoe for a junior in HS.  I hope it was all worth it and the kid pans out.  If not, he will be playing overseas in some obscure gym in Europe so daddy could make a few bucks.  

There are hundreds of examples of helicopter parents that re-live their childhood dreams through their kids.  You see it all of the time in sports and entertainment, and most of the time the parents end up robbing the child star blind.  I guess we will have to wait and see how LaVar’s genius marketing of his kids plays out.

Dude get out with that. Targets on their backs, that doesn't bother competitors because people will Love or hate you anyway. As for costing his kid a scholarship in College, he could care less because College is corrupt & full of crooks also. NCAA is upset because he won't allow them to use his Son. If his kid is good enough, he will just go play overseas for a year or sit out of College & train & then enter the Draft. Ball knows what he's doing & is using the media platform to help his agenda. If his kids weren't any good, we wouldn't be having this conversation. We're not talking about any kid, we're talking about the Ball kids. If they couldn't play at a high level the Basketball World wouldn't entertain the Ball spectacle. Because most athletes & their parents can't do what LaVar is doing for his Family, many hate on him & says he's wrong. The guy is doing something that's never been done, made himself a household name & has a TV show. Love or Hate, he's marketable. Aside from being very loud & annoying to most, what has he done to anyone?? If anyone should be complaining, shouldn't it be his Family? I had people telling me I was wrong for making my Son Train 2 times a day starting at 6am 6 days a week as a 5th grader. Most don't know he wanted to play Football at U of Texas. I told him so does every kid in America st that time. He didn't get UT, but he's playing on a full scholarship at a D-1 School. It's all about perception, I just don't let everyone else's blurr mine. 

13 minutes ago, Bigcam2903 said:

Dude get out with that. Targets on their backs, that doesn't bother competitors because people will Love or hate you anyway. As for costing his kid a scholarship in College, he could care less because College is corrupt & full of crooks also. NCAA is upset because he won't allow them to use his Son. If his kid is good enough, he will just go play overseas for a year or sit out of College & train & then enter the Draft. Ball knows what he's doing & is using the media platform to help his agenda. If his kids weren't any good, we wouldn't be having this conversation. We're not talking about any kid, we're talking about the Ball kids. If they couldn't play at a high level the Basketball World wouldn't entertain the Ball spectacle. Because most athletes & their parents can't do what LaVar is doing for his Family, many hate on him & says he's wrong. The guy is doing something that's never been done, made himself a household name & has a TV show. Love or Hate, he's marketable. Aside from being very loud & annoying to most, what has he done to anyone?? If anyone should be complaining, shouldn't it be his Family? I had people telling me I was wrong for making my Son Train 2 times a day starting at 6am 6 days a week as a 5th grader. Most don't know he wanted to play Football at U of Texas. I told him so does every kid in America st that time. He didn't get UT, but he's playing on a full scholarship at a D-1 School. It's all about perception, I just don't let everyone else's blurr mine. 

People love watching a good train wreck. The Kardashians have made hundreds of millions off of disfuction.  Let’s just hope Lavar don’t cut his thing off and start dressing like a woman to stay relevant.  

8 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

People love watching a good train wreck. The Kardashians have made hundreds of millions off of disfuction.  Let’s just hope Lavar don’t cut his thing off and start dressing like a woman to stay relevant.  

Even if it doesn't work for the youngest Ball, what a bold move a Father has made for his Sons. Nobody has anything to say when a child prodigy skips HS and takes College courses to enhance their Careers. Whether we believe it or not, his kids are sports prodigies. If the NBA hadn't made kids go to College, the elder Ball wouldn't have played at UCLA & the current UCLA Ball kid would be in the NBA also. The youngest son may not need College to get to the NBA, his Father has a counter plan for his plan. Let's keep in mind, everyone can't do what the BAll Family is attempting.

18 hours ago, TxHoops said:

He surprised me (pleasantly) with this one.  Regardless of what you think about LaVar or his sons, The Chinese shoplifting laws are a bit overreaching to say the least. 

Outta likes. And yes, laws over there are a bit tougher than here. But, I don't know if that is an indictment on us or them.

2 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

Outta likes. And yes, laws over there are a bit tougher than here. But, I don't know if that is an indictment on us or them.

It can be either imo depending on the particular law.  Although 3 years minimum is a bit much to me for a first time shoplifter, it’s better than the countries where they chop off your hand!

1 hour ago, baddog said:

This is the hidden content, please

Again, Trump didn’t have to do anything here and I admit I didn’t really expect him to.  I’m a full believer in giving credit where it’s due and I believe he deserves it here.  Whether you like the Balls or not, there were 2 other kids involved and they made a colossally dumb mistake.  And not one where they deserve to spend their early 20s locked up in some godforsaken prison in a foreign country. 

35 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

It can be either imo depending on the particular law.  Although 3 years minimum is a bit much to me for a first time shoplifter, it’s better than the countries where they chop off your hand!

Maybe, but I like it. I can't stand a thief. Idk about China, but 3 years here is really only around 14 months. I would be okay with that. There is no such thing as "a first time thief", just first time to be caught. haha