#3 Woodville (7-1)(5-0) vs. #8 Coldspring-Oakhurst (6-2)(5-0)

**SETXSports.com 4A/3A Game of the Week**

**Live broadcast on SETXSports.com**

**District championship game**

**7:30pm at Trojan Stadium, Coldspring-Oakhurst CISD, Coldspring, Texas**

It all comes down to this. The Woodville Eagles travel to Coldspring to take on the Trojans in a battle for the district championship and, of course, the #1 seed. Woodville is coming off a much needed Bye week, while Coldspring-Oakhurst completed a 44-8 thrashing of Kountze last week. 

Woodville's dynamic offense will have its toughest test in district this week. I still think, with as many athletes as we have, and the wear and tear our offense employs on defenses throughout the course of four quarters, there's no reason we shouldn't put up 40 points, as we have in every other district game thus far. Coldspring, like the Eagles, can score points in a hurry. I think this is a very competitive game and will be fun to watch. Woodville has way too many athletes on defense that won't allow the big plays Coldspring has grown accustom to this year. They'll put up some points, but if it's s shootout, then the Eagles roll all night long.

*Prediction*

#3 Woodville 42

#8 Coldspring-Oakhurst 21

**Last Meeting**

2017: Woodville 33, Coldspring-Oakhurst 18

1 hour ago, aTmfan06 said:

Running the ball will only get you so far when you play real talent in the playoffs. @oldschool2 will back me up on this one.

A couple rules of thought on this one.  If you're talking smaller schools (3A and down) then a solid running attack may be enough to get the job done if you have a defense that doesn't give up points.  I personally think that a pound and ground attack is better if you're a smaller school.  Most bigger schools simply have too much speed on offense and you won't be able to keep up in an "outscore" situation. There are still teams in the smaller school ranks that win titles with slot-t type offenses.  There aren't many teams able to do it but the good ones still get championships even if they mostly run.  But here's the problem...if you have a run-heavy offense and fall a couple scores behind then you'll have pretty much no chance of catching up.  That's why most run teams don't make it deep.  When you see a team that is talented enough to score quick and often then your only option is to play completely mistake free and score every possession.  Just too tough to do that.

If we're talking about Woodville right now then I don't think they make it past round 3 because of this exact conversation.  They'll see someone with enough up front defensively to offset that running attack and enough on offense to get to far ahead for them to catch up.

Okay, I apologize for my misuse of the word dynamic lol if that's the only thing that's found wrong about this post on Saturday morning, I'll be perfectly content. 

Also, having just looked at the new DCTF 3AD1 Top 10, you might wanna take a look also at which of those teams have extensive passing attacks. Kinda surprised me, honestly lol Wall, Brock, Woodville, Comanche, Mount Vernon, and Goliad. Not sure about Shallowater or Marion. 

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

A couple rules of thought on this one.  If you're talking smaller schools (3A and down) then a solid running attack may be enough to get the job done if you have a defense that doesn't give up points.  I personally think that a pound and ground attack is better if you're a smaller school.  Most bigger schools simply have too much speed on offense and you won't be able to keep up in an "outscore" situation. There are still teams in the smaller school ranks that win titles with slot-t type offenses.  There aren't many teams able to do it but the good ones still get championships even if they mostly run.  But here's the problem...if you have a run-heavy offense and fall a couple scores behind then you'll have pretty much no chance of catching up.  That's why most run teams don't make it deep.  When you see a team that is talented enough to score quick and often then your only option is to play completely mistake free and score every possession.  Just too tough to do that.

If we're talking about Woodville right now then I don't think they make it past round 3 because of this exact conversation.  They'll see someone with enough up front defensively to offset that running attack and enough on offense to get to far ahead for them to catch up.

Katy. They run a little bit.