Lumberton @ Ozen

Cottonmouth

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, L-Train11 said:

I predict that we will be getting a lot of young players playing time after we pull ahead in this game

If Lumberton don't do something with that offence it could be a long night. Lumberton has the talent on offence but the play calling is not to good.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, L-Train11 said:

I predict that we will be getting a lot of young players playing time after we pull ahead in this game

I don't know about that.  If Coach Taylor and staff load the box for the run, put their biggest DB on #11 and their quickest on #10, I could see this going in the favor of the Panthers.  #24 left the game with a sprained ankle.  I doubt he will be 100%. 

24 minutes ago, Cottonmouth said:

If Lumberton don't do something with that offence it could be a long night. Lumberton has the talent on offence but the play calling is not to good.

Ok, so with the talent level that we have, what would you do different? We have a good qb but don’t have the speed to run the spread. Have the leading rb in the district so of course we are gonna utilize him. And if you watch film you will see that blown assignments are usually what stops a play from being a positive play. I don’t think it’s play calling being the issue, I believe Babin is doing the best with what he’s got.

We were in the red zone about 5 times against central and because of silly mistakes and penalties we almost came up empty in that game. At some point the players need to be blamed for stuff like that. We actually outgained Central, so I don’t think it all can be blamed on play calling...

21 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

I don't know about that.  If Coach Taylor and staff load the box for the run, put their biggest DB on #11 and their quickest on #10, I could see this going in the favor of the Panthers.  #24 left the game with a sprained ankle.  I doubt he will be 100%. 

You’ve got a point, and he probably won’t be 100% but I know he’ll give it his all with only two games left in his HS career. Conway is a good rb too and I just don’t see ozen pulling a win out in this one  

6 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

Ok, so with the talent level that we have, what would you do different? We have a good qb but don’t have the speed to run the spread. Have the leading rb in the district so of course we are gonna utilize him. And if you watch film you will see that blown assignments are usually what stops a play from being a positive play. I don’t think it’s play calling being the issue, I believe Babin is doing the best with what he’s got.

We were in the red zone about 5 times against central and because of silly mistakes and penalties we almost came up empty in that game. At some point the players need to be blamed for stuff like that. We actually outgained Central, so I don’t think it all can be blamed on play calling...

The only thing I'm saying is that if you watch what is called, its first play up the middle, second play up the middle, third play run outside. That's 90% of the play calling. That is why everyone stacks the box against Lumberton. I know that the coach is working with what he has.

4 minutes ago, Cottonmouth said:

The only thing I'm saying is that if you watch what is called, its first play up the middle, second play up the middle, third play run outside. That's 90% of the play calling. That is why everyone stacks the box against Lumberton. I know that the coach is working with what he has.

Even if two plays are run up the middle it doesn’t necessarily mean they are the same play. And a lot of times those plays have reads that gives the qb an option.

Back in 2007 when we made our run we basically ran sweep, iso, power, and stretch. Only difference is back then the players believed that we could run it down people’s throats. We KNEW we were gonna win the battle up front. 

43 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

Even if two plays are run up the middle it doesn’t necessarily mean they are the same play. And a lot of times those plays have reads that gives the qb an option.

Back in 2007 when we made our run we basically ran sweep, iso, power, and stretch. Only difference is back then the players believed that we could run it down people’s throats. We KNEW we were gonna win the battle up front. 

Was the head coach there when they made their run?

1 hour ago, L-Train11 said:

You’ve got a point, and he probably won’t be 100% but I know he’ll give it his all with only two games left in his HS career. Conway is a good rb too and I just don’t see ozen pulling a win out in this one  

If I had to pick a winner, I'd pick Lumberton...

38 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

I say give him time.  Don't run him off to quick...

I agree Jag! He’s a great coach, and is very passionate about the kids. In the past every game would have looked like the PNG game this year, we would have been getting blown out. Now, for the most part, teams can’t overlook us. That’s a big step in the right direction.

1 hour ago, Cottonmouth said:

Everyone stacks the box against Lumberton because 10 players are usually near the ball. Plus, you're right about their frequency with which they run the ball. Other than Ward, that offense is atrocious. 

24 minutes ago, jake94 said:

After seeing both teams play at Bulldog Stadium, I have no idea how Ozen beat Baytown Lee. I will take Lumberton by 21 or more.

From what I heard, Lee was trailing 21-16 but was on the verge of scoring the go ahead TD late in the game but they fumbled and Ozen returned the fumble for a TD.  So instead of Lee winning 23-21, they lost 28-16.  Lee is improving...

2 hours ago, L-Train11 said:

I disagree with you here buddy.  Just imagine if you had 4 WR's lined out wide and #24 in the backfield.  Running lanes would be there.  The QB seemed like an ok passer and runner.  You alls offensive line seemed decent.  You had 2 decent WR's.  There are other schools across the state that are comparable in size and demographics that make the spread work. 

8 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

I disagree with you here buddy.  Just imagine if you had 4 WR's lined out wide and #24 in the backfield.  Running lanes would be there.  The QB seemed like an ok passer and runner.  You alls offensive line seemed decent.  You had 2 decent WR's.  There are other schools across the state that are comparable in size and demographics that make the spread work. 

^^^ This

1 hour ago, Jag Insider said:

That would work to an extent. I still think opposing defenses would play man on the outside and stack the box until we start beating them with the passing game, which we wouldn’t do to most of the teams in our district. But that would open things up a little more for the rb.

14 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

That would work to an extent. I still think opposing defenses would play man on the outside and stack the box until we start beating them with the passing game, which we wouldn’t do to most of the teams in our district. But that would open things up a little more for the rb.

The qb is good, just need to work on throwing more and teach the wr's how to run routes

4 minutes ago, Raiders94 said:

The qb is good, just need to work on throwing more and teach the wr's how to run routes

Qb is good and can scramble, and usually we have one or two decent receivers each year. Just not good enough to be a huge threat passing against teams like Pam, central, or even PNG/Nederland imo.

38 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

Qb is good and can scramble, and usually we have one or two decent receivers each year. Just not good enough to be a huge threat passing against teams like Pam, central, or even PNG/Nederland imo.

If you work at it, it can be good enough. I thing sense the coach was there when they made their run, he is trying to make work what worked 10 years ago. JMO