Texas A&M Offer to Nederland's Hayden Hefner

5 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Going against teams with real coaches that will game plan to stop you and get a win.  Not teams that just go out and streetball and 1 moves.  I know used shoe salesman that can stand on those sidelines and tell the kid to 'run, jump, block out, ect'...

UAA circuit coaches:  Jeff McInnis, Tim Legler, Mike Rice, George Zedan to name a few.  A couple of former NBA’ers, a D1 College Coach, and one of the most respected high school coaches in California.  You might call them “real coaches;”  Not exactly shoe salesmen-type resumés. Personally I would put any of those guys might be on the short list of Best coaches in SETX high school ball, if they were coaching here...

46 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

UAA circuit coaches:  Jeff McInnis, Tim Legler, Mike Rice, George Zedan to name a few.  A couple of former NBA’ers, a D1 College Coach, and one of the most respected high school coaches in California.  You might call them “real coaches;”  Not exactly shoe salesmen-type resumés. Personally I would put any of those guys might be on the short list of Best coaches in SETX high school ball, if they were coaching here...

You have to forgive Soulja. He is clueless on this particular subject.

I may not like aau ball and joke about it on here, but I do recognize and respect certain summer circuits these kids play. I agree, Hefner faced much better overall talent playing UAA and the coaches on that circuit are far from "shoe salesmen".

Anything that Central, Memorial or Ozen throws at Hefner, including the coaching strategies, he has already seen as good or better.

I guess the question is, why be negative or question his ability or why he is getting offers, in the first place? And why bring up anything about eligibility?

6 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I may not like aau ball and joke about it on here, but I do recognize and respect certain summer circuits these kids play. I agree, Hefner faced much better overall talent playing UAA and the coaches on that circuit are far from "shoe salesmen".

Anything that Central, Memorial or Ozen throws at Hefner, including the coaching strategies, he has already seen as good or better.

I guess the question is, why be negative or question his ability or why he is getting offers, in the first place? And why bring up anything about eligibility?

I’m not sure either.  I was told (and I’m sure Abe or one of the other Bulldog faithful can verify), that Hefner was the first freshman to start as a freshman out of the gate.  He impressed me during the season, and even more so during the summer.  Good kid, good family, and obviously exceedingly bright.  

I don’t know how much he will continue to grow but every inch at this point is huge.  He already has good heighth for a guard.  He continues to work and improve, he will stock pile offers with the visibility he will have.  

Good news for him is the Aggies and Kennedy have already offered.  I don’t know what his ultimate goal is in terms of college but I know he already has a sibling in Aggieland.  Pretty nice to have that in your pocket before you take a single shot as a sophomore.  But knowing the kid, I think we are only scratching the surface at how good he can be. 

4 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I’m not sure either.  I was told (and I’m sure Abe or one of the other Bulldog faithful can verify), that Hefner was the first freshman to start as a freshman out of the gate.  He impressed me during the season, and even more so during the summer.  Good kid, good family, and obviously exceedingly bright.  

I don’t know how much he will continue to grow but every inch at this point is huge.  He already has good heighth for a guard.  He continues to work and improve, he will stock pile offers with the visibility he will have.  

Good news for him is the Aggies and Kennedy have already offered.  I don’t know what his ultimate goal is in terms of college but I know he already has a sibling in Aggieland.  Pretty nice to have that in your pocket before you take a single shot as a sophomore.  But knowing the kid, I think we are only scratching the surface at how good he can be. 

I agree kids develop at different rates and stages.  Orebo from Dayton never picked a basketball up until November of last year.  He played for a great AAU orginazition and began to take off

On 11/1/2017 at 4:25 PM, AggiesAreWe said:

I hate when this guy makes sense because I have the urge to like his comments!!!

On 11/1/2017 at 4:25 PM, AggiesAreWe said:

I find myself having to reword things often to you these days.  

The eligibility thing was CLEARLY a jab at Nederland and CLEARLY explained why.  Try to keep up.  I'm not as dense as you think on any sports subject.

..and I want to see this kid with my eyes.  There were a few really good kids who I averaged 30 ppg and were unstoppable on the AAU scene and when playing for their schools, barely averaged over 10 ppg.  Meaning that when he plays the big 3, you know, the 3 teams that will be 1, 2, or 3 in district, well see how he does.  

Again, I HAVEN'T seen the kid yet but since y'all are crowning him the next Colton Weisbrod, I'll make sure to keep him on my radar...

13 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I find myself having to reword things often to you these days.  

The eligibility thing was CLEARLY a jab at Nederland and CLEARLY explained why.  Try to keep up.  I'm not as dense as you think on any sports subject.

..and I want to see this kid with my eyes. There were a few really good kids who I averaged 30 ppg and were unstoppable on the AAU scene and when playing for their schools, barely averaged over 10 ppg.  Meaning that when he plays the big 3, you know, the 3 teams that will be 1, 2, or 3 in district, well see how he does.  

Again, I HAVEN'T seen the kid yet but since y'all are crowning him the next Colton Weisbrod, I'll make sure to keep him on my radar...

There is no kid who has ever averaged 30 ppg on a SHOE CIRCUIT who would not absolutely dominate that district.  There is a massive difference between a national, sneaker sponsored circuit and your typical AAU team.  

Don’t take our word on Hefner though.  Take Kelvin Sampson, Billy Kennedy and Lon Kruger’s.  All have offered him.  He’s in Norman this weekend as a matter of fact. 

7 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

There is no kid who has ever averaged 30 ppg on a SHOE CIRCUIT who would not absolutely dominate that district.  There is a massive difference between a national, sneaker sponsored circuit and your typical AAU team.  

Don’t take our word on Hefner though.  Take Kelvin Sampson, Billy Kennedy and Lon Kruger’s.  All have offered him.  He’s in Norman this weekend as a matter of fact. 

I want to see him myself.  I'll see in a local tourney or in the heat of district play.  

To put in perspective, Jakobe Dill averaged I believe around 17 or 18 ppg on the 16u UAA circuit before his junior year.  He was district mvp and Super Gold Player of the Year.  And he would tell you every school game he played (including the gem he had against Silsbee) was child’s play compared to playing the dogs out of Philly, Baltimore, NYC, etc.  

He is the 1st Freshman to start immediately, and this is the earliest (in a Bulldog Uniform), that anyone from Ned has been offered (multiple) scholarships heading into his Sophomore year.

Weisbrod was moved up to Varsity during his Freshman year, but did not start. That was also the year Ned went 14-0 in district, so we were loaded that year.