PNG Defense Needs Help

PNGNDN1990

I don't know what to think about The past coach and the present coach. You should be happy with what you got, We have a coach who is a offensive guru, everyone likes to win. well most people anyway. When Burnett was coaching yes the defense could tackle, but with the exception of Dustin Long all we did was run sweeps around the end and traps up the middle, didn't have much of a passing game to say the least. Me myself and I love to see a mixture of both passing and running the ball, it works for me with the system he has in place. Now with the defense well as for seniors playing, if a younger classmen is better at a position than a senior well he should start. it is what it is, like ole Stattrax says the coach is paid to win if he doesn't win he doesn't have a job, period! But then again ole Stattrax didn't think we could beat PAM and well you know what happened there. Sometimes actions speak louder than words, I say the proof is in the pudding, we are undefeated and that's all that matters keep that finely tuned machine rolling!!

According to defensive team stats they really aren’t that horrible. You’ve got to take info consideration that the offense scores so quickly and easily, which means the defense is on the field more. 

No participation trophies are given out in high school football. Doesn’t matter how long you’ve been playing/starting before varsity, the better players will play. Don’t like it? Work harder, get better, and beat the younger guy in front of you out! 

On 10/17/2017 at 7:28 AM, hookem14 said:

Since his first year, 2009, PN-G defenses have given up an avg. of (23.3) points per game, including playoffs. 

Thanks for answering.   I thought it would be higher, and not that allowing 23.3 ppg is good, but thought it'd be higher.  

You figure the better teams are much higher than that.  Hard to always outscore teams.  

I know high school offenses have evolved greatly in 15+ years, but that 99 team wasn't just Dustin Long, the Coburn's and Worsham.  They played great defense back then as well.

1 hour ago, MackLewis said:

Thanks for answering.   I thought it would be higher, and not that allowing 23.3 ppg is good, but thought it'd be higher.  

You figure the better teams are much higher than that.  Hard to always outscore teams.  

I know high school offenses have evolved greatly in 15+ years, but that 99 team wasn't just Dustin Long, the Coburn's and Worsham.  They played great defense back then as well.

The twins where not on that team. 

Just my two cents....it's hard to have a lights out D when you have a quick strike offense. You have to work together. If your Defense gives you a 3 and out....and the offense comes out throwing the ball deep......you're putting your defense right back on the field. You want those guys FRESH. I cant remember what year it was, Katy vs Manvel, but Manvel had 1 possesion the entire second half....Katy slowly pounded their defense to the ground to the fact that Manvel had to use timeouts because Defenders where taking too long to get off the ground. You need a complete system...Offense and Defense should be on the same game plan. Coach Joseph is a defensive minded coach.....You will always be succesfull if you play defense.....even without studs and having undersized players...Katy's Defense is usually pretty good...see 2008 and 2010. His philosopy is "reward your defense by letting them sit"

31 minutes ago, pe2009 said:

Just my two cents....it's hard to have a lights out D when you have a quick strike offense. You have to work together. If your Defense gives you a 3 and out....and the offense comes out throwing the ball deep......you're putting your defense right back on the field. You want those guys FRESH. I cant remember what year it was, Katy vs Manvel, but Manvel had 1 possesion the entire second half....Katy slowly pounded their defense to the ground to the fact that Manvel had to use timeouts because Defenders where taking too long to get off the ground. You need a complete system...Offense and Defense should be on the same game plan. Coach Joseph is a defensive minded coach.....You will always be succesfull if you play defense.....even without studs and having undersized players...Katy's Defense is usually pretty good...see 2008 and 2010. His philosopy is "reward your defense by letting them sit"

We are on the right track. We have the best D.C. In the state! Don't take my word for it... Read the Snooze article.......

Few may play but there may be a time where they might be called upon. I'm not saying they have to be out there all the time but if you are protecting a lead with a min or two left and your defense is tired and have already given up almost 500 yards of offense. I think I ask my offensive studs who will probably be defensive studs at the next level to  go in there and have them play back deep and ask them to knock down a pass or make a saving tackle. I have to agree our offense can score quickly and put the defense right back out there with little rest. Hopefully our defense comes out with some attitude and confidence and makes some big-time stops.

15 hours ago, pe2009 said:

A few more:

Collin Wilder UH

Jovanni Stewart West Virginia

Corey Bethley TCU

Ryder Anderson(brother of Rodney) Ole Miss

Hayden Howerton SMU

All making noise at the next level

Just a bunch of hard working, regular kids... yeah, Katy has “hardly” any D1 talent lol!

On 10/19/2017 at 8:29 PM, prepballfan said:

Bo Wortham RB and Joey Price WR-Field goal kicking extraordinaire. Justin Baxter the thorn in Lamarque's side. 

Joey Price is Right? Isn’t that the field goal extraordinaire that missed wide Right in MCM that year as time expired and tears were rolling down the cheeks of the almighty fair weather fans?

11 minutes ago, PAT said:

Joey Price is Right? Isn’t that the field goal extraordinaire that missed wide Right in MCM that year as time expired and tears were rolling down the cheeks of the almighty fair weather fans?

Geez, it was from 50 plus yards, come on.  That dude could kick.  PNG played an incredible game against what is arguably the best Nederland team over the past 50 plus years.

7 hours ago, Brubaker said:

Geez, it was from 50 plus yards, come on.  That dude could kick.  PNG played an incredible game against what is arguably the best Nederland team over the past 50 plus years.

No we beat Nederland that year as we marched all the way to the State Championship. I believe we beat Nederland 31-8 Price nailed a 50 yarder against Stephenville on NFL regulation Field goals 

On 10/19/2017 at 7:03 PM, MackLewis said:

That 99 PNG defense allowed around 12 ppg. The 98 defense was actually a little better statistically allowing around 10 ppg I believe.