PNG Defense Needs Help

PNGNDN1990

3 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Everyone uses AP.  We even used it on this site in the past, even in basketball.  Majority of people statewide recognize the AP polls, man...

We post the AP rankings here along with the DCTF rankings. AP does not have basketball or baseball rankings.

Majority of people know how biased and skewed the AP rankings can be. Just ask folks that are heavily involved in Texas HS football. AP is based on sports writers and their nominations. I have personally seen teams voted on or not voted on only because a writer had a bias. Very, very subjective poll. Trust me, I used to be involved with AP rankings. Just ask Gabe.

I trust the guys at DCTF, they know their business.

14 minutes ago, Stattrax said:

So before I bash this post.. My comments are on wrapping up and making tackles and turning hips and looking for the ball. That’s fundamental football basics. I have never mentioned any kid by name, although #20 needs to be on the field because he has stupid speed. No we are not state contenders. However to be you gotta step it up on defense. I’ll let you respond to this post before I go any further on the rest of your comments.

yes..those are undoubtedly fundamentals of football, and I'm not trying to be a smart alec with this question, I'm legitimately curious...do you really think these things aren't being taught at all? or do you disagree with the techniques being taught? or is it just not reinforced? or it is that some kids are big fast strong and really hard to tackle. 

and I don't know who #20 is, or any other player on the team, I'm just a casual observer, but whoever 20 is...a group of people who have been successfully coaching football for a living, have decided for whatever reason that the other guy gives them a better chance to win....seems like we can have a little faith in that decision. 

I don't run into a plant worker at the grocery store and tell him "ya'll need to move ol' bill over to the job of OSHA compliance guy and benny should really be the operations manager, and then ya'll need to make Jimmy the guy who pushes the button once an hour, and then Raul should move over to the job where he breaks something on purpose so ya'll can pull overtime fixing it."

I just have faith that the people in charge over there know what they are doing and we won't all get blown to kingdom come. 

seriously though...coach bashing just gets under my skin..my brother coached a few years at a school without a lot of tradition or history of winning, he worked his butt off and all he got for it was people in the stands yelling in front of his wife and kids what an idiot he was. So maybe my personal experience causes me to be a little to critical of you guys. It's good that PNG has such passionate fans, I suppose a little criticism is part of the deal. 

19 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

We post the AP rankings here along with the DCTF rankings. AP does not have basketball or baseball rankings.

Majority of people know how biased and skewed the AP rankings can be. Just ask folks that are heavily involved in Texas HS football. AP is based on sports writers and their nominations. I have personally seen teams voted on or not voted on only because a writer had a bias. Very, very subjective poll. Trust me, I used to be involved with AP rankings. Just ask Gabe.

I trust the guys at DCTF, they know their business.

Ok...  I understand your logic...

Looking around at area football teams and scores, and it would appear that not a lot of defense is being played. It may have to do with the type of offenses that are being ran and the majority of the coaches are doing the same thing. Stack the offense with your best players and play bend, but don't break defense with average HS players. With all that being said, what's up with all of the penalties this year? Does it seem like it's a flag happy year? Asking for a friend. LOL

My issue isn’t whose playing defense my issue is the lack of teaching fundamentals in practice. They run the same drills over and over with NO contact.  You play how you practice.  Watching the CB’s the other night they had no idea how to cover the WR’s and we’re lost most of the night!

2 hours ago, livinthruthekids said:

You guys are amazing, the team is undefeated and just knocked off a ranked opponent as severe underdogs and you start a thread to bash the coaches. 

I'll tell ya what boys, once that QB graduates my guess is your current staff will be out of there on the first thing smoking to a different school that appreciates what they are capable of, and nobody could blame them.

When that day comes, you guys go ahead and take the reigns of the program, bring in a few other good ol' boys that know what it means to be an true indian!, put in the ol' wing T offense and have all the boys go both ways, slam 'em into each other for 3 hours a day to "get 'em tough". Congratulations, you will have become vidor, every now and then put together a decent run but for the more part your sitting at 5-5, 6-4 year in and year out

did it ever occur to you, that playing kids both ways requires that the offensive kids spend half of their time at practice working a defensive position? Which then means the offense would have to be dumbed down considerably. No more gadgets, no more qb and wr's in perfect sync, you'll be back to the days of 2 runs up the middle on 1st and 2nd, then an overthrown pass on third down, then bring out the punter.....

your current staff has put the most dynamic kids on offense to go with your superstar quarterback, then put a bunch of average athletes with a lot of heart on D and coached them well enough to shut down a bunch of D1 athletes in the 2nd half of that game Friday night, you should be having statues commissioned of those coaches, but instead your going to run them out of town before too long, different town/same story all over the state, nothing ever good enough for some I suppose

Love this post.  PNG does not have the athletes to stack both sides of the ball.  It was an easy choice to pick between the two with RJ.  It will work for now.  They have a varsity offense and a JV defense.  PNG should worry about the rest of district play before playoff talk.  

5 minutes ago, PNGFan said:

My issue isn’t whose playing defense my issue is the lack of teaching fundamentals in practice. They run the same drills over and over with NO contact.  You play how you practice.  Watching the CB’s the other night they had no idea how to cover the WR’s and we’re lost most of the night!

So you want the kids to tackle in practice.. You want them going in sore and tired for every game.   Also you can’t build a practice scout team to mirror what you will see in a game unless you put RJ on scout team.  So how dumb does that sound.  

14 minutes ago, sportsfan_01 said:

So you want the kids to tackle in practice.. You want them going in sore and tired for every game.   Also you can’t build a practice scout team to mirror what you will see in a game unless you put RJ on scout team.  So how dumb does that sound.  

So we shouldn’t tackle at all in practice.  So no contact at all?

The other teams have players, too.  Believe or not, the other teams are playing to win...they are competing to make plays.  The other squads will make their share of plays.  PAM wanted to win last Friday.  Hines makes a lot of defenses look helpless.  Our kids on defense are the best kids at PN-G for those positions and they are giving what they have to help get a W.  They are going to make mistakes.  It's OK, there will be other opportunities for them to make plays.  Just like they did vs. PAM.  They made enough plays on defense and the Indians won the game.  The old Burnett supporters will look for anything to detract from Coach Faircloth.  He wins...but that's not good enough...now, the Indians aren't playing defense like 1999 when Kendall Briles ran wild in state championship game.  The good 'ol boys just want better defense so they can go 5-5 and cheer that the Indians lost 7-0 or 14-3, but hey, at least we tackle well.  Our kids get into position to make plays.  They make some and others they don't.  Let us all know when Richard Sherman, Aqib Talib, Patrick Peterson, and Josh Norman enroll at PN-G.  Until then, just enjoy the ride.  Eventually Coach Faircloth will tire of the BS at PN-G and move on.  Then the know-it-all armchair coaches that like to talk football can go lead PN-G to 5-5 seasons and we will all be excited that your team knows how to tackle.  BTW, LC-M ain't shutting people down with MB on the staff.

Go Indians.  Peace.

Just throwing this out there. When a lot of people comment on a team it means they are actually interested which is a good thing. When people don't care you will see very little discussion. Also it always cracks me up when people have an opinion about a coach. A lot of people act like the dudes work for free and my tax dollars don't pay his salary. Big difference between someone that's employed by a school district and someone who is employed by a private employer. Healthy criticism should always be appreciated. Having said that I hope PNG continues to roll. Best of luck Indian fans, players and coaches.

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Ok...  I understand your logic...

A perfect example of the AP poll:

This is the hidden content, please
This is the hidden content, please

PNG beats PA Memorial,moves to (5-0) and loses two of their votes in the AP Poll.Indians only received one vote. gotta love the AP Poll

14 minutes ago, bronco pride said:

Just throwing this out there. When a lot of people comment on a team it means they are actually interested which is a good thing. When people don't care you will see very little discussion. Also it always cracks me up when people have an opinion about a coach. A lot of people act like the dudes work for free and my tax dollars don't pay his salary. Big difference between someone that's employed by a school district and someone who is employed by a private employer. Healthy criticism should always be appreciated. Having said that I hope PNG continues to roll. Best of luck Indian fans, players and coaches.

agreed, the comments are a good thing

I'm not saying we don't have a right to question coaches, fully agree that they are public employees and there is some accountability there....point I'm making is that I don't criticize plant mangers because I don't have the foggiest idea how a plant should work. And hard as it might be to accept, we can talk about coaches all we want, but we really don't know that much about football just because we watch a lot on TV and go to the games.

For example - a random clip from a youtube search 

This is Saban giving a talk to high school football coaches about coaching the secondary.......I've watched a lot of football in my time, but have no earthly idea what he is talking about, might as well be in a foreign language, but I'd be willing to bet that defensive coaches at PN-G probably do.....it's a pretty complex game, these guys are pro's...it seems insulting to tell them they need to teach "turn their hips" or "wrap up" as if they didn't know that already. 

It's a poor analogy because the stakes are so much different, but it's similar to telling police officers what they should've done in a given situation, after all my tax dollars pay their salaries right? But I have no idea what it's like to be a cop (even though I watch law and order all the time) so I don't feel like I'm the guy that needs to be telling them how to do their jobs

That's just me though

So we agree coaches on a football forum are open to criticism when it comes to coaching. Personal attacks are a different story. I doubt anybody on here thinks they know more or could do a better job but that doesn't mean people can't have an opinion. Hell I thought Matt Schaub was trash and that dude knew more about the game than I ever will and was an NFL qb. Problem was he didn't stack up against his peers which is really all that matters in the end. I always hear the argument from people "we'll do you think you could do a better job" at which point I say no but the guy across the field can and that's all that really matters. Also I firmly support our law enforcement and they are not above criticism so a high school football coach dang sure isn't. Once again scalp em Indians love that sea of purple.