PNG @ Vidor prediction

Indianforever

3 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Vidor's defense is very experienced and make great open field tackles... Probably won't be many YAC yards on them.  I think PN-G will be ready and the Indian scoring will be down.  Actually, I think this game will probably be decided by less than 14 points..

Yeah that’s what #1 studs from Pam thought too until shug got mad and let loose this game won’t be close we will hang 50 on them! 14 in 1st by Indians

38 minutes ago, biaplayer said:

I wondered who that fella was I had never seen him up there with your pops before.

Yeah he was mostly in his notepad but he gave his perspective and chimed in at certain points. He called a few plays right on the head and pointed out some things we missed and PAM missed. Glad Pam didn't notice

3 hours ago, Vpirate02 said:

dang from the sound of the png faithful its gonna be like pee-wee guarding nfl players. Can't wait to humble them up a little.

Does anyone in Vidor even have a recipe for Humble Pie? If so it has to have been passed down from a long time ago...

This is too long, so I apologize in advance. Going to make a bold, probably-not-true (but I'm sticking to it), stir-the-pot prediction: PNG (at least) 45-Vidor 14. 

This isn't at all to take something away from Vidor. I know they are going to make a game of it and this is one of their better teams in a while. 

I don't think it matters for one second that Vidor has "another Quirante". The Quirante boys are great players, but it's not like PNG hasn't played some great players before. When they had two Quirante's last year, we still won. In the years (either two or three) Vidor had Montana Quirante, Vidor won ONCE, in 2012 when PNG had one of its worst teams ever. It's got to drive the other players from Vidor nuts to hear people talk about how "We've got a Quirante" as if there aren't a bunch of other good players on the field, as if having another kid from the same gene pool as your last good star is somehow a magic spell. I understand that having a good player is huge (I'm certainly grateful to have Roschon Johnson wearing purple and white), but Roschon isn't the only player on the team and he is the first, from what I've seen, to point the finger at his supporting cast as the people who make it all possible. 

Here's where I'll sound a little disrespectful:

Vidor's offense is a garbage system.

I know everyone in Vidor talks about it like its the greatest thing ever (and they definitely catch people off guard with it -- Gave PNG all we could handle last year and pulled the upset off at PAM), but it is an intentionally self-limiting playbook, which is infuriating when you consider the great athletes in Vidor. Why not throw the ball? Don't tell me "It works for them" -- If running works so well, imagine what a competent passing game would do for them? I honestly think Coach Matthews acts like his players are stupid or something, as if he, or the players, are incapable of learning a skill that 99% of other teams learn pretty well. It's a disservice to the players to not teach them a huge portion of the game. And just because it works sometimes doesn't mean there isn't a more efficient way of doing things. An upset over PAM last year does not validate a system that usually moves too slowly and inefficiently to match pace with speedy, balanced teams, especially in the playoffs. (Imagine if Vidor had a slightly better passing game against Crosby last year). 

So on Friday, PNG is going to walk into Vidor and the Vidor players are going to run right into a buzzsaw. They'll get their points, certainly, but they won't be able to keep PNG out of the end zone.  If the starting QB has almost no experience passing, how can they simulate a passing offense in practice -- How do you simulate Preston Riggs and Preston Hughes if even your best receivers have (by the choice of the coach) almost no experience catching the ball under game pressure (at least very little experience compared to most starting receivers in Texas)? Look at the interception Vidor threw in the last play against Nederland this season. Maybe if Vidor threw more in games, they would be a little more able to throw when it matters? (Not to take anything away from Nederland for making a play, but I do blame Coach Matthews for not having his team ready to make a big pass when it mattered). My point is, Vidor's stubborn insistence on running a 1950's offense makes a difference in their ability to have success. If you compare Vidor and PNG, they have practically the same size schools, practically the same demographics, just as many athletes, etc., but look at the results over the years. Even when PNG is not that good, we beat Vidor most of the time. Results that consistent are not on the players, they are on the coaches. Given the comparable size and athleticism, you would think Vidor would win more than 4 times in the past 25 years (heck, maybe more than twice in the last decade at least?). 

I think the PNG defense will be more than up to the task of stopping Vidor. After Elijah Hines and Keitha Jones, we'll be ready for Vidor. 

Reading over this, I know this sounds cocky. I'll be the first to come on here and eat a big spoonful of crow if Vidor comes out and surprises PNG. Heck, I'll admit I underestimated Vidor if PNG wins by one point. I support ya'll in every game, for the most part (I think Vidor was the better team against Nederland). But for the sake of predictions, I'll go ahead and say it won't even be close. 

Predictions:

1. Vidor will not cut the grass at the Cow Pasture aka Ivan Croak Field at Pirate Stadium.  The grass will be more than ankle deep and it will take the Indians two or three drives to figure out the slow footing.  I hope we bring multiple sets of shoes. The Indians may need the mudders or the long cleats depending upon the weather.

2. Vidor will have a Quirante on the roster.  As long as he doesn't play QB and MLB, the Indians should survive.

3. Coach Matthews will come out to midfield and argue that the forward pass is an illegal procedure.  Teams are only allowed to line up in the wing-T and run the ball.

4. The Indians will survive a close contest in Vidor.  The Pirates get amped for the Mid-County teams and they play PN-G and nederland tough year-in and year-out.  The PN-G defense will make a few stops and secure the W.

Go Indians.  Peace. 

Vidor always comes out and gives us a run for our money. in the first half if we cant stop the run it will br neck and neck. we are a different defense than last year. this team of vidor beat us a couple of times in 9th and JV years. The thing that will save us again is our offense like it did in Memorial game. 

9 minutes ago, PNGNDN1990 said:

Vidor always comes out and gives us a run for our money. in the first half if we cant stop the run it will br neck and neck. we are a different defense than last year. this team of vidor beat us a couple of times in 9th and JV years. The thing that will save us again is our offense like it did in Memorial game. 

Relax, the only kids that have defeated a Roschon led team are Pam anD wos. We gonna keep Rollin

1 hour ago, Acadien said:

This is too long, so I apologize in advance. Going to make a bold, probably-not-true (but I'm sticking to it), stir-the-pot prediction: PNG (at least) 45-Vidor 14. 

This isn't at all to take something away from Vidor. I know they are going to make a game of it and this is one of their better teams in a while. 

I don't think it matters for one second that Vidor has "another Quirante". The Quirante boys are great players, but it's not like PNG hasn't played some great players before. When they had two Quirante's last year, we still won. In the years (either two or three) Vidor had Montana Quirante, Vidor won once in 2012, when PNG had one of its worst teams ever. It's got to drive the other players from Vidor nuts to hear people talk about how "We've got a Quirante" as if there aren't a bunch of other good players on the field, as if having another kid from the same gene pool as your last good star is somehow a magic spell. I understand that having a good player is huge (I'm certainly grateful to have Roschon Johnson wearing purple and white), but Roschon isn't the only player on the team and he is the first, from what I've seen, to point the finger at his supporting cast as the people who make it all possible. 

I know everyone in Vidor talks about it like its the greatest thing ever (and they definitely catch people off guard with it -- Gave PNG all we could handle last year and pulled the upset off at PAM), but it is an intentionally self-limiting playbook, which is infuriating when you consider the great athletes in Vidor. Why not throw the ball? Don't tell me "It works for them" -- If running works so well, imagine what a competent passing game would do for them? I honestly think Coach Matthews acts like his players are stupid or something, as if he, or the players, are incapable of learning a skill that 99% of other teams learn pretty well. It's a disservice to the players to not teach them a huge portion of the game. And just because it works sometimes doesn't mean there isn't a more efficient way of doing things. An upset over PAM last year does not validate a system that usually moves too slowly and inefficiently to match pace with speedy, balanced teams, especially in the playoffs. (Imagine if Vidor had a slightly better passing game against Crosby last year). 

So on Friday, PNG is going to walk into Vidor and the Vidor players are going to run right into a buzzsaw. They'll get their points, certainly, but they won't be able to keep PNG out of the end zone.  If the starting QB has almost no experience passing, how can they simulate a passing offense in practice -- How do you simulate Preston Riggs and Preston Hughes if even your best receivers have (by the choice of the coach) almost no experience catching the ball under game pressure (at least very little experience compared to most starting receivers in Texas)? Look at the interception Vidor threw in the last play against Nederland this season. Maybe if Vidor threw more in games, they would be a little more able to throw when it matters? (Not to take anything away from Nederland for making a play, but I do blame Coach Matthews for not having his team ready to make a big pass when it mattered). My point is, Vidor's stubborn insistence on running a 1950's offense makes a difference in their ability to have success. If you compare Vidor and PNG, they have practically the same size schools, practically the same demographics, just as many athletes, etc., but look at the results over the years. Even when PNG is not that good, we beat Vidor most of the time. Results that consistent are not on the players, they are on the coaches. Given the comparable size and athleticism, you would think Vidor would win more than 4 times in the past 25 years (heck, maybe more than twice in the last decade at least?). 

I think the PNG defense will be more than up to the task of stopping Vidor. After Elijah Hines and Keitha Jones, we'll be ready for Vidor. 

Reading over this, I know this sounds cocky. I'll be the first to come on here and eat a big spoonful of crow if Vidor comes out and surprises PNG. Heck, I'll admit I underestimated Vidor if PNG wins by one point. I support ya'll in every game, for the most part (I think Vidor was the better team against Nederland). But for the sake of predictions, I'll go ahead and say it won't even be close. 

53 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

Relax, the only kids that have defeated a Roschon led team are Pam anD wos. We gonna keep Rollin

Good stuff

humble pie huh, well we shall see. I look For PNG to come in run the ball throw the ball and catch the ball all night long. We just need the defense to make a few stops here and there just as they did in the second half against Pam. IM not gonna take Vidor lightly but im going into the game thinking we are gonna dust the stadium off with a big win. Im hoping our defense comes into this game with a lil swagger. Lord knows they need a lot of confidence. I am ready for Fridays game just hope the weather holds off I have been sick for two weeks don't need a relapse. Seems Soulja1 is an expert on Vidor this year since he has seen them twice, I can understand him wanting a PNG loss but again this week I don't see it happening.

21 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I plan on going to that Thursday Homecoming game.  Since the dance girl won't perform at halftime, I think I will sit with you.  

Soulja, that's not our homecoming game, it was supposed to be against Nederland this past Friday but due to Harvey, it's been moved to the Baytown Lee game...

9 hours ago, Acadien said:

I don't think it matters for one second that Vidor has "another Quirante". The Quirante boys are great players, but it's not like PNG hasn't played some great players before. When they had two Quirante's last year, we still won. In the years (either two or three) Vidor had Montana Quirante, Vidor won ONCE, in 2012 when PNG had one of its worst teams ever. It's got to drive the other players from Vidor nuts to hear people talk about how "We've got a Quirante" as if there aren't a bunch of other good players on the field, as if having another kid from the same gene pool as your last good star is somehow a magic spell. I understand that having a good player is huge (I'm certainly grateful to have Roschon Johnson wearing purple and white), but Roschon isn't the only player on the team and he is the first, from what I've seen, to point the finger at his supporting cast as the people who make it all possible. 

Awesome Post! You even spelled all the words correctly! You must work for MSNBC. I like the way you took the Quirante comment totally out context. I simply made a statement that he’s the last one left and is a good athlete. As opposed to y’all making Riggs out to be Jerry Rice.  Wish we were more balanced on offense but this is the offense Matthews wants to run. By the way I don’t think Matthews thinks his players are stupid. Did you know that Navy runs this same offense. I promise you that you don’t get into the Naval Academy being stupid. There 5-1 with that 1950’s offense. I doubt Navy’s coach thinks that his players are stupid. We are well aware that we are the underdog. But the kids play for the Love of the game and they will leave it all on the field this Friday. Have a nice day Mr. All Knowing!

85F3F58D-AECA-459B-A788-A4DA261BB5F0.jpeg

1 hour ago, Realville said:

Awesome Post! You even spelled all the words correctly! You must work for MSNBC. I like the way you took the Quirante comment totally out context. I simply made a statement that he’s the last one left and is a good athlete. As opposed to y’all making Riggs out to be Jerry Rice.  Wish we were more balanced on offense but this is the offense Matthews wants to run. By the way I don’t think Matthews thinks his players are stupid. Did you know that Navy runs this same offense. I promise you that you don’t get into the Naval Academy being stupid. There 5-1 with that 1950’s offense. I doubt Navy’s coach thinks that his players are stupid. We are well aware that we are the underdog. But the kids play for the Love of the game and they will leave it all on the field this Friday. Have a nice day Mr. All Knowing!

85F3F58D-AECA-459B-A788-A4DA261BB5F0.jpeg

When has anyone said that or compared Riggs to Jerry Rice. lol Wow, well since you said it we will go with that assumption. lol Might as well get ready to set his name up on the teepee of honor, after he rolls thru Vidor's defensive backfield this Friday night. All BS aside, I really do think Riggs is a nightmare for your Pirates Defensive Coordinator. The Kid has the hands and speed to get it done from anywhere on the field. Really blessed to have him in the purple and white!

Keys to Pirate Victory

1. Be patient on offense, manage the clock

2. jam WR on the line take advantage of the 5 yards ,

3. no stupid mistakes

4. Do not cut grass

5. have heater on inside the PNG locker room and press box where PNG coachers are

6. make PNG fans park on Old Hwy 90

7. change light bulbs to a lower wattage to affect boy wonder passing.( this is where high grass helps on his speed)

Can not wait for game ,  Pirates win in OT

6 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Realville, just curious.  Is the Georgia Tech offense the same as the one Vidor runs?  I love watching the Yellow Jackets play.  Central use to run a variation of this offense under Coach Stowers and we had some pretty good years then.

Liberty Hill offense they started running early 2000's. If I remember correctly we (Central) ran this variation 2006-2008'ish before Lambert ran Stowers out.