Realignment

oldschool2

4 minutes ago, RanchHand said:

Because basketball is more important?  Not sure what you mean by that being an answer.  There are definitely exceptions in cases of a school being more successful in one sport than the other, but it doesn't take away the statement that the schools are playing with the same enrollment in the other sports that they are playing with in football.  The question was why are they separating football and not the other sports?  Maybe the physicality of football compared to the others and the beating that it takes on the body.  Maybe somebody knows the reasons why the NCAA has the division and why the UIL followed it.

The physicality is part of it.  But what I meant was that even though you are pulling from the same # of kids in each sport, you need fewer good players to be competitive in sports like baseball and basketball.  Look at how many small schools are successful in March Madness each year.  George Mason made the Final Four I believe one year.  George Mason is not even able to field a football team.  Lamar can periodically beat UT in baseball, but how do you think they would fare against UT or A&M in football?  So, it is a combination of the physicality of football (imposing your physical will on your opponent) and the sheer #'s that are required in order to have a competitive FB team at a certain level.  After saying all of that, I'll throw out the usual statement that none of this applies to WOS when it comes to football. :-)

15 minutes ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

The physicality is part of it.  But what I meant was that even though you are pulling from the same # of kids in each sport, you need fewer good players to be competitive in sports like baseball and basketball.  Look at how many small schools are successful in March Madness each year.  George Mason made the Final Four I believe one year.  George Mason is not even able to field a football team.  Lamar can periodically beat UT in baseball, but how do you think they would fare against UT or A&M in football?  So, it is a combination of the physicality of football (imposing your physical will on your opponent) and the sheer #'s that are required in order to have a competitive FB team at a certain level.  After saying all of that, I'll throw out the usual statement that none of this applies to WOS when it comes to football. :-)

Totally understand that but generally, you see the same teams year in and year out at the finals...in baseball and basketball.  The smaller schools (NCAA) don't have the luxury of being able to recruit the bigger named stars like the LSU's, the UT's, etc.  It's rare for a small school to make it to the finals.  That's the only point I was trying to make as far as the NCAA rule is concerned.  And I only brought that up because I felt that the UIL was "trying" to follow some of the NCAA standards.  I have absolutely no clue if that's true or not, but I do know that football is a huge money maker.  Every team that makes the playoffs in every division has to pay 15% off the top to the UIL for each playoff game.  I'm guessing that helps to pay for JerryWorld or whatever....who knows.  I just know that that adds up to a lot of money....and more money than baseball or basketball brings in for sure!  

14 hours ago, Jag Insider said:

Nevermind, I forgot to add the 75 that are at Pathways and the Paul Brown center...

Seniors...290

Juniors...264

Sophomores...267

Freshmen...363

Miscellaneous...75

Total...1259

Wow, just a few years ago, I was hearing talk of Central being on the verge of having 5A numbers, (before there was a 6A) ,I have never known Central to be that small. Did Ozen or West Brook gain Students? 

Another thing is im just not understanding how a city of over 118,000 can have very small school numbers . I know a lot of parents in Beaumont are sending there kids to HJ but that still doesn't make sense for the small numbers these Highschools are turning out 

2 hours ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

Just look at how Silsbee basketball is able to compete, and beat, most schools 2-3x their enrollment.  But they can't do it in football. Why?  There is your answer. 

Because getting a group of 10 or less kids can be a lot more easily done than a group of 30+.  Numbers don't always matter in basketball because it might literally come down to a starting 5 vs a starting 5.  Numbers are THE difference in football most of the time.  A few years ago Big Sandy had 5 kids (out of 100 or so total) that were as good or better than any group of 5 kids from any school in the area.

3 hours ago, D3zii said:

Wow, just a few years ago, I was hearing talk of Central being on the verge of having 5A numbers, (before there was a 6A) ,I have never known Central to be that small. Did Ozen or West Brook gain Students? 

Another thing is im just not understanding how a city of over 118,000 can have very small school numbers . I know a lot of parents in Beaumont are sending there kids to HJ but that still doesn't make sense for the small numbers these Highschools are turning out 

Well when you don't have any solid school boundaries and kids can go from any middle school to any high school in Beaumont, this is what happens.  From what I was told, the majority of kids that were lost due to Harvey were non-athletes.  There may have been a handful that went to West Brook or Ozen but not many.  I have some other reasons that I feel that contribute but not enough time at the moment to go over them.

8 hours ago, oldman said:

The gap could be that large.   It is based on getting a certain number of schools in each division.  So this is what will set the cut-off numbers.

True, curious with new schools opening up for next realignment.  I'm assuming they start in 6A with X number of schools and work their way down?

4 hours ago, Jag Insider said:

Well when you don't have any solid school boundaries and kids can go from any middle school to any high school in Beaumont, this is what happens.  From what I was told, the majority of kids that were lost due to Harvey were non-athletes.  There may have been a handful that went to West Brook or Ozen but not many.  I have some other reasons that I feel that contribute but not enough time at the moment to go over them.

Hmmm, that's just beyond me how it can be like that..BISD always had weird zoning..One side of my neighborhood was Westbrook and the other was Central 

22 hours ago, RanchHand said:

Totally understand that but generally, you see the same teams year in and year out at the finals...in baseball and basketball.  The smaller schools (NCAA) don't have the luxury of being able to recruit the bigger named stars like the LSU's, the UT's, etc.  It's rare for a small school to make it to the finals.  That's the only point I was trying to make as far as the NCAA rule is concerned.  And I only brought that up because I felt that the UIL was "trying" to follow some of the NCAA standards.  I have absolutely no clue if that's true or not, but I do know that football is a huge money maker.  Every team that makes the playoffs in every division has to pay 15% off the top to the UIL for each playoff game.  I'm guessing that helps to pay for JerryWorld or whatever....who knows.  I just know that that adds up to a lot of money....and more money than baseball or basketball brings in for sure!  

Coastal Carolina won the National Championship in baseball 2 years ago.

it only take 8 players and handful of pitchers to make you competitive in baseball.

It takes 33 starters and another 11-15 backups to be competitive in football at the college level.

Numbers and competitive balance is the reason for the split at the NCAA level and why UIL followed  the formula.