Realignment

oldschool2

1 hour ago, LCM17 said:

LCM is 1004 we lost students due to Harvey. I heard WOS has some low numbers I hope they are not 3a div 1 next year

WOS turned in 580 last time and the cutoff was 479 to be in 3A. Maybe that number comes up to 489 or 499 (just a guess). Can't imagine WOS lost that much but we shall see. OF is one to watch and see if they drop. They were 494 last go around.

I've never really understood why the UIL uses a snapshot of enrollment on a particular day to determine school enrollment. It seems to me that more accurate enrollment figures, thus avoiding a situation such as occurred with Livingston last time, by using the TEA enrollment numbers. Schools don't understate their enrollment numbers when state funding is on the line....LOL. It seems like the enrollment numbers for state funding would be public information and relatively easy to access. Of course you would still have those high growth districts that would, because of that growth, have enrollments potentially larger than the cut-off number for their classification. Not sure there is any way to resolve that issue, but using the numbers for state funding might address the issue of under reporting enrollment numbers.

4 minutes ago, oldbuc77 said:

I've never really understood why the UIL uses a snapshot of enrollment on a particular day to determine school enrollment. It seems to me that more accurate enrollment figures, thus avoiding a situation such as occurred with Livingston last time, by using the TEA enrollment numbers. Schools don't understate their enrollment numbers when state funding is on the line....LOL. It seems like the enrollment numbers for state funding would be public information and relatively easy to access. Of course you would still have those high growth districts that would, because of that growth, have enrollments potentially larger than the cut-off number for their classification. Not sure there is any way to resolve that issue, but using the numbers for state funding might address the issue of under reporting enrollment numbers.

The crazy thing is the way they do the count..meaing that it's the numbers as they are right now (9-12).  Why in the world would this year's seniors have anything to do with UIL competition NEXT year and the year after.  At least if they're going to do the counts based on a snapshot enrollment count 8th-11th grades.  That is next year's high school enrollment.

2 hours ago, JSnipes said:

WOS turned in 580 last time and the cutoff was 479 to be in 3A. Maybe that number comes up to 489 or 499 (just a guess). Can't imagine WOS lost that much but we shall see. OF is one to watch and see if they drop. They were 494 last go around.

I can see Orangefield dropping down to 3A Div 1 

It really all begins on what the ceiling and basement numbers will be when UIL divides 5A into divisions. I actually think 5A DII basement numbers will drop low enough to keep Ozen and Lumberton in 5A and move Cleveland, Huffman and LC-M into 5A.

That will have a ripple effect on the the rest of 4A and 3A DI.

I have been told by folks in the know that UIL will do all it can to eliminate 4-5 team districts and have at minimum 6 team districts. Teams having 5-6 non-district games have been complaining about filling those games. UIL is finally listening.

I think the UIL thinks going with division districts in 5A will help them solve that issue. We will see.

18 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

It really all begins on what the ceiling and basement numbers will be when UIL divides 5A into divisions. I actually think 5A DII basement numbers will drop low enough to keep Ozen and Lumberton in 5A and move Cleveland, Huffman and LC-M into 5A.

I have been told by folks in the know that UIL will do all it can to eliminate 4-5 team districts and have at minimum 6 team districts. Teams having 5-6 non-district games have been complaining about filling those games. UIL is finally listening.

I think the UIL thinks going with division districts in 5A will help them solve that issue. We will see.

Hopefully this happens.

18 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

What are the chances GCM gets out of the North Shore district lol. 

3 hours ago, JSnipes said:

We’ve probably lost 50 at the most........hopefully 

3 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

The crazy thing is the way they do the count..meaing that it's the numbers as they are right now (9-12).  Why in the world would this year's seniors have anything to do with UIL competition NEXT year and the year after.  At least if they're going to do the counts based on a snapshot enrollment count 8th-11th grades.  That is next year's high school enrollment.

That's almost impossible to accomplish in the large school  District 

5 hours ago, One4All said:

That's almost impossible to accomplish in the large school  District 

I can see where it would cause an issue in districts with several middle schools that may or may not be feeder schools.

But the majority of 4A and down schools with one junior high or at worst a couple...the count should reflect the incoming high school enrollment.

12 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

They're a bunch of new schools coming in Houston and Dallas, the cutoff number for 5A is going up not down. Cleveland is making the jump. The only way Ozen stays up is if BISD keeps them there. Lumberton will be interesting do they have an alternative school? If so they stay up.

All these schools we used to think of as small that are northeast of Houston (Cleveland Splendora etc) are going to be 6A in a few years because everyone is moving to be near I69 since its so convenient to downtown. Even Livingston will become a big 5A in the next few years.

Beaumont seem like its the only place in Texas not growing. It's so sad.

4 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

They're a bunch of new schools coming in Houston and Dallas, the cutoff number for 5A is going up not down. Cleveland is making the jump. The only way Ozen stays up is if BISD keeps them there. Lumberton will be interesting do they have an alternative school? If so they stay up.

All these schools we used to think of as small that are northeast of Houston (Cleveland Splendora etc) are going to be 6A in a few years because everyone is moving to be near I69 since its so convenient to downtown. Even Livingston will become a big 5A in the next few years.

Beaumont seem like its the only place in Texas not growing. It's so sad.

Beaumont is also the 2nd most dangerous city in the state. Everyone is moving off

21 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I spoke to Dr. Myers, Cleveland's Superintendent last night.  He told me that Cleveland ISD is up 500 students from last year!  Their high school numbers are 1200+.  Crazy growth over there.

7 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I knew this talk would come about.  That's definitely NOT the case with Beaumont's population...

Call me crazy but I love Big Money Texas.  Its just not growing and do well as other areas of the state. Places like sugar land sugarland pearland conroe. Frisco Denton and the like were all smaller than BMT less than 20 years ago. Had BMT kept up it would be twice the size it is now. In any case I wouldn't be shocked if in three realignment that west brook finds itself in 5A even with 2500 students while Splendora and Cleveland are in 6A. The growth up here is crazy.

9 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Call me crazy but I love Big Money Texas.  Its just not growing and do well as other areas of the state. Places like sugar land sugarland pearland conroe. Frisco Denton and the like were all smaller than BMT less than 20 years ago. Had BMT kept up it would be twice the size it is now. In any case I wouldn't be shocked if in three realignment that west brook finds itself in 5A even with 2500 students while Splendora and Cleveland are in 6A. The growth up here is crazy.

Beaumont is landlocked and Rita, Ike, and Harvey done a number here. Also, mostly certain people frequently leave Beaumont but continue to work here.  That's ok, because other people move here for better lives. Have kids here and work here.  Probably a different demographic of people from 20 or 30 years ago, but people nontheless.  

I wouldn't call beaumont land locked its the fourth biggest port in the country and the second largest military port in the world! The only reason I left 15 years ago was there just weren't many opportunities if you didn't work in the plants. Area needs diversity in industry. 

The area isn't shrinking. Thank goodness but it ain't growing either.  There won't be any 6A schools in the area in less than 10 years because of the rapid growth everywhere else. 

Our scheduling in 4A Division ! has been tough. Part of the reason for this has been that there are ten teams in the nearby 5A district and they only need one non district game. On the other hand 4A schools need 5 games in a six team district. The 5A schools can't play us after week one and the smaller schools don't want too. 

This should get better with the division in 5A. If 5A Division 2 had eight teams then they will need three non district games and they should be able to work some of our teams in. The 5A Division I teams might find themselves in the same shape our district has been in. 

It scares me to a degree that Huffman and Cleveland might move to 5A. This would leave us with only four teams. There is no one to the east so we might be doing some very serious traveling either north or probably west for district games.