Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stattrax

Local Media

43 posts in this topic

Speaking from my last days in TV, corporate owners don’t care about local sports. It was a losing battle I fought until I decided to leave.

I’m trying to keep my vision of local sports alive with VYPE SETX. While I can’t cover as many games on Fridays as TV, I still make the rounds for highlights. The downside of that is it is impossible to keep complete stats while holding a video camera and tweeting along with Facebook. Like it or not the focus of sports is now on social media. That’s where the numbers are. I use stats that are sent in from coaches. I’ll email, text, DM, etc. to get info. It’s not made available nearly as easily as it once was.

Tonight was different. VYPE had a three man crew at West Brook/The Woodlands. SETX and Houston regions teamed up. So there’s s full detailed  article with stats along with video. 

I’ve also had help from Ronnie Hughes. So VYPE SETX is 1-2 man operation at this time. Doing the best we can. Houston, for good reason, has a multiple employees divided into regions there.

To tell you what our new ownership at 12 wanted, think ESPN. Tons of opinion pieces and features. Game coverage was an afterthought. Previews were not allowed. The job I loved was no longer fun.

This is the reality of local sports we are dealing with.

3 hours ago, AshlyVYPE said:

Speaking from my last days in TV, corporate owners don’t care about local sports. It was a losing battle I fought until I decided to leave.

I’m trying to keep my vision of local sports alive with VYPE SETX. While I can’t cover as many games on Fridays as TV, I still make the rounds for highlights. The downside of that is it is impossible to keep complete stats while holding a video camera and tweeting along with Facebook. Like it or not the focus of sports is now on social media. That’s where the numbers are. I use stats that are sent in from coaches. I’ll email, text, DM, etc. to get info. It’s not made available nearly as easily as it once was.

Tonight was different. VYPE had a three man crew at West Brook/The Woodlands. SETX and Houston regions teamed up. So there’s s full detailed  article with stats along with video. 

I’ve also had help from Ronnie Hughes. So VYPE SETX is 1-2 man operation at this time. Doing the best we can. Houston, for good reason, has a multiple employees divided into regions there.

To tell you what our new ownership at 12 wanted, think ESPN. Tons of opinion pieces and features. Game coverage was an afterthought. Previews were not allowed. The job I loved was no longer fun.

This is the reality of local sports we are dealing with.

I can remember when I use to get up for work every morning, I would have my tv on ESPN Sportcenter while getting dressed to catch up on any highlights I missed from the night before.  Not anymore.  I also guess that is the reason I watch 12 news up till the weather, once that goes off, so does my tv. 

SETXsports is a great site.  What Grad and the others do that assist him is remarkable.  There isn't a day that goes by during football season that I don't check in to see what's going on in the area.  All though I've bumped heads with some of you (Aggies Are We for example, :)) on different topics, I respect everyone's opinion on here. 

I don't have a Twitter account but Ashly, I do like your Vype SETX coverage on Facebook.   

BMTSoulja1, 2wedge and AshlyVYPE like this

3 hours ago, NDNation said:

12 news came to the HS this morning @ 6am. Mini Pep rally.

Yes they still go every week to a school, but that's not really for sports coverage. It's just a fun segment for the morning show. 

NDNation likes this

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Really??

How much money do you think this site generates?

To follow up, media is one of the lowest paid professions and the pay scale is dropping every single year on the local level. For guys in sports media it's even lower. I've been lucky enough to build some years of experience, so I'm still able to live a "normal" life. For those just coming up though it's almost impossible for them to pay all their bills and eat. All the hours worked doesn't add up to very much money for most.  We all do it because it's our passion. 

Raiders94 and BMTSoulja1 like this

3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Really??

How much money do you think this site generates?

If it does, I sure haven't seen it! LOL!

11 minutes ago, AshlyVYPE said:

To follow up, media is one of the lowest paid professions and the pay scale is dropping every single year on the local level. For guys in sports media it's even lower. I've been lucky enough to build some years of experience, so I'm still able to live a "normal" life. For those just coming up though it's almost impossible for them to pay all their bills and eat. All the hours worked doesn't add up to very much money for most.  We all do it because it's our passion. 

Ashly's spot on, once again.

AshlyVYPE likes this

6 minutes ago, AshlyVYPE said:

Exactly.

I admit that this site should make more money than it actually does, but it's sure not the reason why we do this.

Based on the research numbers we have seen, there is only 3 local websites that has more traffic than SETXsports. Southeast Texas.com, KFDM.com and Beaumont Enterprise.com.

DannyShapiroBE and AshlyVYPE like this

If you compare setx to other areas like Lufkin- Nacogdoches you get a lot more coverage with setx. Maybe it's because there is more people in the Beaumont area. The Lufkin area media is under staffed and under paid. Most of what you get in sports is what comes off the wire. 

AshlyVYPE likes this

17 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Exactly.

I admit that this site should make more money than it actually does, but it's sure not the reason why we do this.

Based on the research numbers we have seen, there is only 3 local websites that has more traffic than SETXsports. Southeast Texas.com, KFDM.com and Beaumont Enterprise.com.

At KBMT we averaged 3 to 4 million hits per month on 12newsnow.com. A lot of websites build those numbers by adding slide shows or polls. 

Also depends on what audience you target. For instance vypesetx.com gets 10,000 plus visits a month. The website is just a small part of what we do though. Our videos on Facebook, twitter and YouTube get anywhere from 1k to 15k views per post.  

40 minutes ago, AshlyVYPE said:

At KBMT we averaged 3 to 4 million hits per month on 12newsnow.com. A lot of websites build those numbers by adding slide shows or polls. 

We get between 3 to 4 million hits a month.

I will get with Jordan and get exactly the hits and views this site gets daily, weekly and monthly.

I do know that the numbers are slightly down from years past. New has worn off.

Stattrax mentiones Ware and Brown and guy who are from the area. What I have noticed is that most of the sports reporters are fresh faced, straight from college guys/gals who are just biding their time to grab a better job. Sports reporters are changed out in BMT like underwear and it hardly gives any of them the time to understand the tradition and mystique of this area. Back when the main guys were from here, they understood and the coverage was amazing!

I used to rush home from my games to watch the Friday Night Tailgate Party on Channel 6.......those days are long gone.

Having said that, the set up on FSSW on Friday nights is phenomenal on a state wide level.

Baytown Sun sports is garbage. Coverage is horrible..  They don't really do any thing to let the public the teams coming up. No Player Spotlights. Nothing.