Local Media

Stattrax

Speaking from my last days in TV, corporate owners don’t care about local sports. It was a losing battle I fought until I decided to leave.

I’m trying to keep my vision of local sports alive with VYPE SETX. While I can’t cover as many games on Fridays as TV, I still make the rounds for highlights. The downside of that is it is impossible to keep complete stats while holding a video camera and tweeting along with Facebook. Like it or not the focus of sports is now on social media. That’s where the numbers are. I use stats that are sent in from coaches. I’ll email, text, DM, etc. to get info. It’s not made available nearly as easily as it once was.

Tonight was different. VYPE had a three man crew at West Brook/The Woodlands. SETX and Houston regions teamed up. So there’s s full detailed  article with stats along with video. 

I’ve also had help from Ronnie Hughes. So VYPE SETX is 1-2 man operation at this time. Doing the best we can. Houston, for good reason, has a multiple employees divided into regions there.

To tell you what our new ownership at 12 wanted, think ESPN. Tons of opinion pieces and features. Game coverage was an afterthought. Previews were not allowed. The job I loved was no longer fun.

This is the reality of local sports we are dealing with.

3 hours ago, AshlyVYPE said:

Speaking from my last days in TV, corporate owners don’t care about local sports. It was a losing battle I fought until I decided to leave.

I’m trying to keep my vision of local sports alive with VYPE SETX. While I can’t cover as many games on Fridays as TV, I still make the rounds for highlights. The downside of that is it is impossible to keep complete stats while holding a video camera and tweeting along with Facebook. Like it or not the focus of sports is now on social media. That’s where the numbers are. I use stats that are sent in from coaches. I’ll email, text, DM, etc. to get info. It’s not made available nearly as easily as it once was.

Tonight was different. VYPE had a three man crew at West Brook/The Woodlands. SETX and Houston regions teamed up. So there’s s full detailed  article with stats along with video. 

I’ve also had help from Ronnie Hughes. So VYPE SETX is 1-2 man operation at this time. Doing the best we can. Houston, for good reason, has a multiple employees divided into regions there.

To tell you what our new ownership at 12 wanted, think ESPN. Tons of opinion pieces and features. Game coverage was an afterthought. Previews were not allowed. The job I loved was no longer fun.

This is the reality of local sports we are dealing with.

I can remember when I use to get up for work every morning, I would have my tv on ESPN Sportcenter while getting dressed to catch up on any highlights I missed from the night before.  Not anymore.  I also guess that is the reason I watch 12 news up till the weather, once that goes off, so does my tv. 

SETXsports is a great site.  What Grad and the others do that assist him is remarkable.  There isn't a day that goes by during football season that I don't check in to see what's going on in the area.  All though I've bumped heads with some of you (Aggies Are We for example, :)) on different topics, I respect everyone's opinion on here. 

I don't have a Twitter account but Ashly, I do like your Vype SETX coverage on Facebook.   

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Really??

How much money do you think this site generates?

To follow up, media is one of the lowest paid professions and the pay scale is dropping every single year on the local level. For guys in sports media it's even lower. I've been lucky enough to build some years of experience, so I'm still able to live a "normal" life. For those just coming up though it's almost impossible for them to pay all their bills and eat. All the hours worked doesn't add up to very much money for most.  We all do it because it's our passion. 

11 minutes ago, AshlyVYPE said:

To follow up, media is one of the lowest paid professions and the pay scale is dropping every single year on the local level. For guys in sports media it's even lower. I've been lucky enough to build some years of experience, so I'm still able to live a "normal" life. For those just coming up though it's almost impossible for them to pay all their bills and eat. All the hours worked doesn't add up to very much money for most.  We all do it because it's our passion. 

Ashly's spot on, once again.

6 minutes ago, AshlyVYPE said:

Exactly.

I admit that this site should make more money than it actually does, but it's sure not the reason why we do this.

Based on the research numbers we have seen, there is only 3 local websites that has more traffic than SETXsports. Southeast Texas.com, KFDM.com and Beaumont Enterprise.com.

17 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Exactly.

I admit that this site should make more money than it actually does, but it's sure not the reason why we do this.

Based on the research numbers we have seen, there is only 3 local websites that has more traffic than SETXsports. Southeast Texas.com, KFDM.com and Beaumont Enterprise.com.

At KBMT we averaged 3 to 4 million hits per month on 12newsnow.com. A lot of websites build those numbers by adding slide shows or polls. 

40 minutes ago, AshlyVYPE said:

At KBMT we averaged 3 to 4 million hits per month on 12newsnow.com. A lot of websites build those numbers by adding slide shows or polls. 

We get between 3 to 4 million hits a month.

I will get with Jordan and get exactly the hits and views this site gets daily, weekly and monthly.

I do know that the numbers are slightly down from years past. New has worn off.

Stattrax mentiones Ware and Brown and guy who are from the area. What I have noticed is that most of the sports reporters are fresh faced, straight from college guys/gals who are just biding their time to grab a better job. Sports reporters are changed out in BMT like underwear and it hardly gives any of them the time to understand the tradition and mystique of this area. Back when the main guys were from here, they understood and the coverage was amazing!

I used to rush home from my games to watch the Friday Night Tailgate Party on Channel 6.......those days are long gone.

Having said that, the set up on FSSW on Friday nights is phenomenal on a state wide level.

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Stattrax said:

Was talking about the Port Arthur News. That both schools are within walking distance of.

Just finished at West Brook football...here's the Bmt Enterprise coverage plan for tomorrow for MCM.

I'll be covering the game itself - live updates, game story, videos, etc.

Our other sports reporter, Matt, will be at the game doing a live stream. The live stream will be with fans, giving analysis, getting reaction, etc. No, we won't be live broadcasting the actual on-field action for the most part. Not trying to get in trouble with the UIL. This part of our coverage is something we haven't done before and I'm hoping it goes well. (P.S. we'll be doing a lot of live stuff before the game and welcome any PN-G or Ned fans to come talk with us and give insight)

We will also have two photographers there, so we should have the game covered well...I hope. I, for one, am really looking forward to tomorrow.

Tom Halliburton will also be at Memorial vs. Vidor for us. We're kind of strapped for stringers past him right now, though. One had a family medical emergency a couple weeks ago and won't be able to do games the rest of the way. Another hasn't been able to help the entire year because he lost his cars to Harvey. Trying to make things happen, regardless!

23 minutes ago, Stattrax said:

I remember the day of every television van in town at the game. But thanks for your efforts. The Snooze is lacking with all 3 of the locals. MCM, and PAM... Glad to hear Halliburton is helping out. he's a class act...

Yeah, Tom's been helping us out for the last year or so. He'll do football, volleyball, track and whatever else really. Enjoy having him and his experience around.