Newton looking for 2018 games

hattie

1 hour ago, Jag Insider said:

How are they already looking for games for next year when they don't know where they will fall in the new alignment, who will be in district with them and whether it will be a 6 or 8 team district?

I am pretty sure that teams that don't get a tentative schedule in place before realignment end up scrambling to get opponents to play them in the slots they need filled. That's how you get teams traveling an absurd distance to play one another or not having a full schedule. I bet there won't be a ton of 5A or 4A teams lining up to get their butt kicked by a 3A team. Doesn't really do wonders for the prospect of keeping your job as a coach.

15 minutes ago, Kegger said:

I am pretty sure that teams that don't get a tentative schedule in place before realignment end up scrambling to get opponents to play them in the slots they need filled. That's how you get teams traveling an absurd distance to play one another or not having a full schedule. I bet there won't be a ton of 5A or 4A teams lining up to get their butt kicked by a 3A team. Doesn't really do wonders for the prospect of keeping your job as a coach.

We end up traveling an absurd distance to play "district rivals" like Navasota.

3 hours ago, Kegger said:

There is one 4A team that is ready to give it a go.

On 10/12/2017 at 4:42 PM, WOSgrad said:

There is one 4A team that is ready to give it a go.

As sad as it sounds.. Newton vs WOS would be more beneficial to each other (as far as game preparation) than most of the other schools the 2 of them usually play pre-season.

And I mean sad that WOS may have to play a 3A school to get a competitive game.

3 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

As sad as it sounds.. Newton vs WOS would be more beneficial to each other (as far as game preparation) than most of the other schools the 2 of them usually play pre-season.

And I mean sad that WOS may have to play a 3A school to get a competitive game.

It's all fun and games until you lose a key player or two for the year in what would later be called a "meaningless" pre-season game against a tough school. 

15 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

It's all fun and games until you lose a key player or two for the year in what would later be called a "meaningless" pre-season game against a tough school. 

so you schedule a bunch of easy games????  I guess so if you are content with being average and not getting any better!!!!!!  

2 hours ago, hattie said:

so you schedule a bunch of easy games????  I guess so if you are content with being average and not getting any better!!!!!!  

I'm just saying... Everybody is gung-ho about playing tough competition in non-district and getting better right up until the point at which they lose a couple of key players to injury before district.  Then everybody is like "we would be going to state but the stupid  coach keeps scheduling teams that we have no chance of beating, and now we're missing __________, ____________, and ____________.... those kids will probably not even get to play college ball now.  And for what?  So that the coach beats a few good schools and can move on to a better job?" 

I've seen it all before.