NFL tells players to STAND

Tigers2010

3 hours ago, baddog said:

This young man is not living the high life in a country that made him a millionaire playing a kid's game, but he pulls himself up to stand for the anthem.

Boy in wheelchair pulls himself to feet for national anthem at Tennessee fair

This is the hidden content, please

The nfl could learn a lesson in integrity and patriotism from this young man.

+1

Forcing people to stand for the anthem is the anthisis of what the country is supposed to be based on. Freedom of speech.

You don't want to live in a place that forces patriotism. 

As for honoring the flag. If you have a flag t shirt you are violation the flag etiquette. It is not to be worn as an adornment. If you're not standing when the anthem come on TV well then you aren't very patriotic. 

The players have a right to kneel and you have the right not to like it. That's how it's supposed to work. But they are not protesting the flag or the troops or whatever the celebrity in chief will say this afternoon.

The best thing the NFL can do is go back to the old policy and keep the teams in the locker room until kickoff. Better yet quit playing the anthem period except for the super bowl.

10 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Forcing people to stand for the anthem is the anthisis of what the country is supposed to be based on. Freedom of speech.

You don't want to live in a place that forces patriotism. 

As for honoring the flag. If you have a flag t shirt you are violation the flag etiquette. It is not to be worn as an adornment. If you're not standing when the anthem come on TV well then you aren't very patriotic. 

The players have a right to kneel and you have the right not to like it. That's how it's supposed to work. But they are not protesting the flag or the troops or whatever the celebrity in chief will say this afternoon.

The best thing the NFL can do is go back to the old policy and keep the teams in the locker room until kickoff. Better yet quit playing the anthem period except for the super bowl.

What are they protesting? How has  kneeling helped their "cause" ? Kaepernick said he would stop kneeling if some team would pick up his sorry arse. That's what I call dedication to a cause. If your principles can be bought, then you had none to begin with.

7 minutes ago, baddog said:

What are they protesting? How has  kneeling helped their "cause" ? Kaepernick said he would stop kneeling if some team would pick up his sorry arse. That's what I call dedication to a cause. If your principles can be bought, then you had none to begin with.

It's to bring attention to police brutality toward the black community. Kap never really said he wouldn't kneel if he was signed but he has brought attention to the subject and has poured millions into the cause.

It would have died down had the owners not kowtowed to the celebrity in chief. His words make this an easy way to shoot him the finger on national TV.

If the owners and players were truly partners this wouldn't be an issue. You don't see this in the NBA. This is the NFL fault for bungling this by being heavy handed with the talent.

50 minutes ago, stevenash said:

BearEssentials-  If you were at a restaurant and, when you ordered your meal, the waitress kneeled in protest of all of the policemen who have been killed, would that have been ok with you?

+ Infinity

But she is not on national TV, a multi-millionaire, or a black person. Her plight will fall on deaf ears.

7 hours ago, stevenash said:

BearEssentials-  If you were at a restaurant and, when you ordered your meal, the waitress kneeled in protest of all of the policemen who have been killed, would that have been ok with you?

I'd join her.  I'm down for the cause.

Besides, she'll get up as soon as the anthem is over. Oh nevermind, they don't play the national anthem before every meal at restaurants.

This is a false equivalent. The reason why they are kneeling is because they're famous and it will definitely attract attention. 

As I stated before, had the NFL just left this alone or just had a better relationship with the players, this would have died out. The teams kowtowing to the president gives the players all the more reason to keep kneeling because that idiot has dog whistled them.

I never said you have to like it; but the point of a protest is to inconvenience the people who can make a change.

Ok, I have a question. Some people kneel and some hold up a closed fist. The closed fist is a symbol for the black panthers, which is a racist hate group. Why is it ok for people to display this type of racism? Why is this symbol accepted and other symbols of racist groups, are not accepted? This question is not directed at bear, it is for everyone.

1 hour ago, Ty Cobb said:

Ok, I have a question. Some people kneel and some hold up a closed fist. The closed fist is a symbol for the black panthers, which is a racist hate group. Why is it ok for people to display this type of racism? Why is this symbol accepted and other symbols of racist groups, are not accepted? This question is not directed at bear, it is for everyone.

The Black Panthers are not a hate group.

And Black people in this country have never been in a position of power to negativity affect the lives of white Americans.White people control the country. That's the way it's been since it's founding. All black people want is to be treated like white folks.  That means don't call the cops on me because I'm in the pool or hanging out on Starbuck. Don't shoot me because you feared for your life. I mean all the mass shooters get taken in alive but a man dies for selling cigs? Come on.

Loan us money at the same rates as white people. Fund our schools just as well as the white schools. When we commit a crime don't give us 20 percent more time than white people. Don't pull us over at 10times the rate as white people.

Get the picture?

19 minutes ago, Ty Cobb said:

No I don’t get the picture. The black panthers are a hate group. They are a racist group. Why are nfl players raising a closed fist, which means black power? Why is this racist symbol allowed?

Then that says a lot about you, there is a lot of inequalities in our current system. We do have a racist form of government. It was like this even when Obama was president.

The original Panthers are not a hate group. The groups today calling themselves the Panthers are listed as a hate group by the southern poverty law center. I happen to agree with that assessment.

As for kneeling Kap asked veterans what would be a peaceful way to protest. They told him to kneel.

White people get scared when y'all see the fist.  All it means is we're fighting to be equal, not to take over and oppress white people. So that's why the fist would not have been a good choice.

I never said you had to like the protest but as I keep saying this issue would be dead if the NFL would have left it alone.  It was dying out because the owners were going to chip in money to fight inequality. But once the NFL shoved the half assed policy to try to appease the president without consulting them, the kneeling was going to start again.

21 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

If the owners and players were truly partners this wouldn't be an issue. You don't see this in the NBA. This is the NFL fault for bungling this by being heavy handed with the talent.

The NBA squashed the protest before they even started by making it mandatory the players stand.  Silver isn’t dumb and is not going to allow the players to do things that will hurt the league. 

As an employee, if you do something that cost your team/league/business money then you are wrong and open to discipline.  That has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment, but is an employers rights to do what’s best for their business.  

No one answered my question earlier.  Where were all of the protest from the players during the last 6 months of offseason?

4 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Only 2 things one needs to know about this:  The thugocracy of the NFL continues along with the decline in viewership!!

2 years ago I made a deal with the wife.  She doesn’t talk to me on college football Saturday and we can do whatever she wants on Sunday.  College games start at 11am and west coast games don’t end until after 1am Sunday.  It’s been great and I haven’t missed it one bit.  

2 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

The NBA squashed the protest before they even started by making it mandatory the players stand.  Silver isn’t dumb and is not going to allow the players to do things that will hurt the league. 

As an employee, if you do something that cost your team/league/business money then you are wrong and open to discipline.  That has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment, but is an employers rights to do what’s best for their business.  

No one answered my question earlier.  Where were all of the protest from the players during the last 6 months of offseason?

You obviously don't watch the NBA. They are very outspoken on this issue. The difference is that the NBA and it's teams have a great relationship and the players have the autonomy to express themselves.

The NFL not so much.

I have no problem with a protest, however they choose to do it during the national anthem. It has been made clear that it is interpreted as an insult to our military, veterans and america in general but it doesn't matter. There is no concern for the perceptive offensiveness to our military. They could protest any other time during the game but they don't. Seems a bit self serving. 

2 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

I’ve been saying, Goodell screwed the pooch when he didn’t stop this immediately.  His main job as NFL Commissioner, as you alluded to, is to protect the League.  Had he stopped this right after Kap’s first kneel, it wouldn’t be an issue now.  

If Tebow was disciplined for kneeling to pray after scoring a touchdown then people should not be able to protest during the national anthem. God is the reason we are all here and if one can not express their thankfulness to him for that in the NFL then one should not be able to express any other feelings they have in the NFL or any other sport venue period.

7 minutes ago, Coach85 said:

If Tebow was disciplined for kneeling to pray after scoring a touchdown then people should not be able to protest during the national anthem. God is the reason we are all here and if one can not express their thankfulness to him for that in the NFL then one should not be able to express any other feelings they have in the NFL or any other sport venue period.

Liberals typically have no use for anything pertaining to God!

11 hours ago, Coach85 said:

Great point Coach.  It seems there’s so many catastrophes, injustices, wrongs, confronting us today, we get mentally overloaded and forget things in the past (at least I do because I’m senile lol).