Barbers Hill 28 Dayton 26/FINAL

WOSgrad

9 hours ago, Brubaker said:

I heard Babers Hill has a pretty questionable coach, not sure if he has much experience at big time 5a ball.  You have a great point, and as you said, it's a good thing you aren't the coach.

Haha...Like I said!  My comment, however; is NOT about the coach.  I think the staff has done an amazing job since coming to the Hill.  The coach can't make these young men catch the ball when thrown to them.  The coach can NOT make these young men NOT hold or jump offsides.  I'm confident that the coaches have done all they can do to teach these fellas proper techniques of the game.  I guarantee you this though...after a long, hot, hard football practice in the SE Texas heat and humidity, the last thing I wanted to do was run gassers because I jumped offsides or held somebody, or hit players out of bounds.  My point in first place was the Hill used to be one of the most disciplined teams around (physically and mentally), but if seems we're making a lot of mental mistakes these days.

1 hour ago, Eagle82 said:

Haha...Like I said!  My comment, however; is NOT about the coach.  I think the staff has done an amazing job since coming to the Hill.  The coach can't make these young men catch the ball when thrown to them.  The coach can NOT make these young men NOT hold or jump offsides.  I'm confident that the coaches have done all they can do to teach these fellas proper techniques of the game.  I guarantee you this though...after a long, hot, hard football practice in the SE Texas heat and humidity, the last thing I wanted to do was run gassers because I jumped offsides or held somebody, or hit players out of bounds.  My point in first place was the Hill used to be one of the most disciplined teams around (physically and mentally), but if seems we're making a lot of mental mistakes these days.

BH couldn't get out of the way of their selfs this game. Pick up 40 come back holding. PIck up 20 come back holding. Wide open receiver dropped pass. But then again we are going for 2 in the first quarter for some reason and of course it didn't work. So then had to go for 2 in the 4th to tie. Well that didn't work so we lose by 2. Should have been attempting that fg for at the worst OT.

3 hours ago, Eagle82 said:

BH runs those gassers in their indoor air conditioned practice facility. 

10 minutes ago, bronco pride said:

I actually just remembered BH had a td pass called back for holding. I wish there was a stat that showed how've many yards were actually lost do to penalties instead of just the penalty itself. I bet BH lost over 200 yds offense last night. I was also wondering how young BH was.

Buddy of mine says they only start 5 SR's ( they have a lot of sophomores) -  if it weren't for the"holding"  they wouldn't of got that TD and 200 yard of offense -

I have posted a long diatribe that got folks riled up about this.  The quote thing isn't working or I am too dumb to figure it out.  I am copying and pasting manually.

"I think the staff has done an amazing job since coming to the Hill." - Eagle82 

Yep, I agree with you.

"The coach can't make these young men catch the ball when thrown to them.  The coach can NOT make these young men NOT hold or jump offsides." - Eagle 82.

Nope.  I do not agree.  Discipline (doing it the right way, over and over) and attitude (ownership of results) is a reflection of the culture.  The culture is established and/or maintained by the Head Coach.  A catchable ball that is dropped is a discipline problem.  Offside and false start penalties are examples of poor discipline.   Find the best coaches out there and see what they will not tolerate.  Undisciplined behavior loses football games that teams should win.  A team with a poor attitude shouldn't win any football games.

This BH team doesn't have an attitude problem that I can see.  I think they have a winning attitude.  This should come first.

I am not saying fire the guy.  That isn't at all what I mean.  It is intellectually dishonest to lay a breakdown of physical and mental discipline at the feet of the players.  More gassers won't fix it either.

Poor discipline at Barbers Hill lies at the feet of Tom Westerberg.  Do you think he would tell you anything different?

Didn't Barbers Hill win this game?

1 hour ago, texbuzz said:

I have posted a long diatribe that got folks riled up about this.  The quote thing isn't working or I am too dumb to figure it out.  I am copying and pasting manually.

"I think the staff has done an amazing job since coming to the Hill." - Eagle82 

Yep, I agree with you.

"The coach can't make these young men catch the ball when thrown to them.  The coach can NOT make these young men NOT hold or jump offsides." - Eagle 82.

Nope.  I do not agree.  Discipline (doing it the right way, over and over) and attitude (ownership of results) is a reflection of the culture.  The culture is established and/or maintained by the Head Coach.  A catchable ball that is dropped is a discipline problem.  Offside and false start penalties are examples of poor discipline.   Find the best coaches out there and see what they will not tolerate.  Undisciplined behavior loses football games that teams should win.  A team with a poor attitude shouldn't win any football games.

This BH team doesn't have an attitude problem that I can see.  I think they have a winning attitude.  This should come first.

I am not saying fire the guy.  That isn't at all what I mean.  It is intellectually dishonest to lay a breakdown of physical and mental discipline at the feet of the players.  More gassers won't fix it either.

Poor discipline at Barbers Hill lies at the feet of Tom Westerberg.  Do you think he would tell you anything different?

Didn't Barbers Hill win this game?

Oh heck no, I don't think there is an attitude problem at all and never insinuated that.  I'm old school and I know what once  worked back in the dark ages probably wouldn't work today; or at the very least, would get a coach jailed!  I do see that you and I are on opposite sides on this and that too is ok. I do believe though this coaching staff has done all they can do short of suiting themselves up and playing those positions.  I'm not making excuses for them, I just don't think their coaching legacy would be what it is had they not ever addressed those issues in the past, and I don't think they would allow it now if they had other options for those positions.  I'm also confident that they have weighed what options they have and are playing their best hand vs the risk.  So I do feel that a really fair amount of responsibility for lack of discipline can be laid at the offending player's feet with a "boost" of consequence from said staff.  Again, old school I know, but bottom line, neither you nor me are on the sidelines so our opinions either way don't count for anything.  Just a frustrated fan yacking about what coulda, shoulda is all.  It makes me feel better...LOL!!  GO TW and GO BH!!