Kirbyville and Newton No longer playing

rykerx144

3 hours ago, rykerx144 said:

Kirbyville AD Doughty has notified Newton AD that they will no longer seek to play or scrimmage Newton next year.   

Grad might can verify this but I think they have either played or scrimmaged every year since 1951.   

Actually since the turn of the century, there have been a couple of breaks in this series.  From 2004-07, the teams did not play as well as 2014 and 2015.  Other that those breaks, Kirbyville and Newton have played each other every year since 1951 and pretty much on a regular basis since 1941 (they did not play in 1943 due to WWII and in 1950).

54 minutes ago, Turn back the clock said:

Sounds like the pussycats got scared...Grissom, Alvarez and Neece must be shaking their heads.

I’m hearing we picked up the Allen Eagles they offered more money than Newton, with all the coaches and money tied up in coaching all they could offer was a couple coupons for Dairy Queen and some Artisian Springs coupons

50 minutes ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

I’m hearing we picked up the Allen Eagles they offered more money than Newton, with all the coaches and money tied up in coaching all they could offer was a couple coupons for Dairy Queen and some Artisian Springs coupons

Nice attempt at humor.  Cowardly move by the pussycats.  I think High Island is open that week.

1 hour ago, Turn back the clock said:

Nice attempt at humor.  Cowardly move by the pussycats.  I think High Island is open that week.

If you think it was a cowardly move then you are very ignorant when it comes to football. Kirbyville and Newton are in two VERY different places right now. Newton needs to be scheduling tougher opponents than what Kirbyville can offer at the moment, and Kirbyville needs to rebuild. So nothing could really be gained by either team by playing in the next couple of years. So move on oh ignorant one. Leave the real football talk for the grown ups who are above doing nothing more than stirring the pot.

7 hours ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

I thought it was funny.  Posted a funny one myself in Rivalry Week, and got smack by a poster.  Heaven knows a little humor is good.  

On a serious note, there are a lot of 5A teams around that wouldn't want to play lil ol Newton right now.  Eagles are soaring high.

We have taken many of beat downs from them through the year's . I believe they will be on our Schedule next year !

WE AIN'T SKEERED !!!!

It's called job security ...... Nobody cares who you play it's about the bottom line winning !. We will travel and cost the 

district thousands in a day and age where money is tight,to get a win !!!!

When I hear folks ragging on Coach Doughty for not playing Newton for the next couple of years, I am reminded of this article this summer from the Enterprise:

This is the hidden content, please

And specifically this passage:

"Newton head football coach

This is the hidden content, please
admits he avoided playing West Orange-Stark last year.

'I didn't want to play against (senior quarterback) Jack Dallas again,' said Johnston, whose team lost to West Orange-Stark by 42 points in 2015. "That's probably the only time we've ever turned down a game.'"

9 hours ago, Turn back the clock said:

Why would Newton even want this game, at least for the next two years. Kirbyville is awful and won't be much better in the short term? It won't prepare Newton at all. They got the better end of the schedule anyway, if they are really picking up WOS.

What is the point of wanting to play a team you know you will beat the breaks off of?