District 11-3A 2017

waterboy6890

In honor of game day I think it would be a great time to hear some good ole SETX football talk!.....

The only two things that are certain in this district are the 1st and 7th (last) place spots. 

WOODVILLE (2-1) - Boy oh Boy... I am pretty sure they are the clear favorites in this district. They have the size, the speed, the experience, and the offense to roll through this district. They played a very competitive pre district schedule! They are battle tested and should blow through everyone in the district. Tonight they open district play against Warren and should win this game by 50+.... Now, will they live up to their potential and make a DEEP playoff run???

Coldspring (0-2) - Do not let their record fool you! They lost to a pretty good Shepard team by 10 and a pretty good Liberty team by 14. I am still unsure what to think about the trojans because of their dominate history. I think we will be able to judge them better after tonight's game against a below average crockett team. I think they beat crockett tonight bye 3 TD + .  Will this team be able to continue their success in this district and be able to win games led by a freshman RB? We shall see.....But for now, this team gets my vote for 2nd place in district.  

NOW THIS IS WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING (3rd-6th Place)

Buna (2-0) - Now, they are 2-0 but they beat a not so good team Anahuac by 8 points and a below average HF team by 20. Buna came into the season as a underdog because of the amount of Sr's they lost. I know they are pretty young and not very experienced. But there is something about Buna that sparks my vote for the 3rd place spot. The offense they run is old school smash mouth football. They run very few amount of plays but they perfect them. Will their young line be able to handle the grind for 6 district games and can they stay healthy? Can the younger Connell kid lead a football team to another playoff spot? Can their defense contain all the speed in this district? I say YES and they start it off by beating a Trinity team that is down, but definitely not out....  Buna 28- Trinity 13

Kirbyville (1-2) - KIRBYVILLE... The KIRBYVILLE getting 4th spot? All the talk says that this is a down year for Kirbyville. Every is saying it even their own fans on this website. The thing that scares me about giving them the benefit of the doubt is the 28-0 thumping they took against an average EC team. That one has me worried about this pick. But one thing I know about Kirbyville is they come to PLAY! I heard they have made some changes on the offensive side of the ball and they look better in that system. I know their defense is always tough and plays hard but will they be able to score on teams? They have a HUGE game tonight against the Kountze Lions that could determine this very spot. I say Kirbyville takes the lead in the 4th and wins the game 27-22 against Kountze tonight. I believe this game will tell us all a lot about each time. 

Kountze (1-1) - Hmm... The basketball capital of Texas. Oh, this is football? I am hearing good things about Kountze and then hearing bad things about Kountze. I actually got to see them scrimmage against Hardin and HF and was actually impressed with the defense. Which is backwards from what is typical for the Lions. Usually they have a couple of kids that can run really fast and keep them in the game for a quarter or 2 but they can never stop anyone. They lost to a not very good Corrigan team and they beat a very bad HD team with their whole team sitting out apparently (HD). They held HD to 6 but gave up 47 against Corrigan? Which Kountze team will show up? Also, their backfield is pretty good with nice speed and size, but the offensive line are smaller than the backs. Can Kountze  finally put together a solid team and compete for a playoff spot again?? I say YES they will compete but will come up short, starting with a loss tonight to Kirbyville 27-22. 

Trinity ( 0-4) - Like everyone, I see that record and do a double take. Trinity has athletes. Everyone knows that! They played 4 decent teams other than Crockett, and lost all 4 games. Played 2 close games and got blown out twice. I would say they had a solid pre district schedule and should be ready for district play. I wonder if they will be able to replace their stud RB from last year who is playing college ball somewhere (I forgot). He was good!! I am sure they will be fast and tough but I just do not see how they lose to a crockett team that would probably finish on the lower end of this district IMO. Again, this team could surprise the crap out of me, but as of now, I can see Trinity have a 1-9 season with it's only win against Warren. Maybe they prove me wrong and come up with a playoff spot? Who knows? Their 1st district game is tonight against the Buna Cougars where I think could be a decent matchup but I have Buna coming out on top 28-13.

Warren (0-3) -  Not much to say here! Blown out by HARDIN, blown out by EVADALE, lost to a weak Tarkington... Warren will for sure go 0-9 and might compete with...nevermind I just don't see it. No disrespect, just honesty and they will honesty get their 1st district loss tonight by 50+ against Woodville. 

This district is always hard to choose but the 1 spot is a LOCK. 2-6 is up in the air IMO with Coldspring being a favorite to grab that #2 spot. I will be able to give a more accurate statement after tonight!

Please post your thoughts and predictions!!!

A very average to below average district. Even Woodville is not as good as last year IMO. Cold spring can't win with just 1 play maker on the offensive side of the ball. Buna is scrappy but not very talented on either side of the ball it's the system they are in. Kirbyville is unknown the defense is good the offense you never know which group will show up. Kountze is young and most of their players go both ways. Trinity has some athletic kids but can't get clicking and give up tons on defense. Warren is Warren not enough speed to contend with anyone in the district. The 4 teams that do make it all four will be out by the 3rd round of the playoffs. Dribble dribble will start early. 

1 hour ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

A very average to below average district. Even Woodville is not as good as last year IMO. Cold spring can't win with just 1 play maker on the offensive side of the ball. Buna is scrappy but not very talented on either side of the ball it's the system they are in. Kirbyville is unknown the defense is good the offense you never know which group will show up. Kountze is young and most of their players go both ways. Trinity has some athletic kids but can't get clicking and give up tons on defense. Warren is Warren not enough speed to contend with anyone in the district. The 4 teams that do make it all four will be out by the 3rd round of the playoffs. Dribble dribble will start early. 

An "average to below average district" doesn't have a single team make it to the regional semifinals. Woodville is a top-10 team and Coldspring is a top-20 team. Top-to-bottom, this district is only held back by 2 below average teams. It is still a good, competitive district. 

12 minutes ago, eagleswoodville#1 said:

An "average to below average district" doesn't have a single team make it to the regional semifinals. Woodville is a top-10 team and Coldspring is a top-20 team. Top-to-bottom, this district is only held back by 2 below average teams. It is still a good, competitive district. 

Woodville is not a top 10 team in the state. This is a average to below average district. It may say they are but I can promise you they are not. 

JMO there is not a top 10 team in the district you can hype yourself up if it makes you feel better and believe it which a true fan should. As a spectator and not a fan I'm telling you what I believe. This was a team that got beat by madisonville and barely beat a liberty team. They are a decent team in a below average district. 

1 hour ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

JMO there is not a top 10 team in the district you can hype yourself up if it makes you feel better and believe it which a true fan should. As a spectator and not a fan I'm telling you what I believe. This was a team that got beat by madisonville and barely beat a liberty team. They are a decent team in a below average district. 

Madisonville is currently the #8 4AD2 team and Liberty was ranked in the top 10 until WE BEAT THEM. 

9 minutes ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

Teague, Malakoff, Whitney, Yoe just right off my head. That's just in region 3

Teague got blown out by Madisonville, but yes, two of those teams  (Yoe and Malakoff) are pretty good bets to beat Woodville. Still doesn't justify why you think Woodville isn't a top-10 team in 3AD1. 

40 minutes ago, eagleswoodville#1 said:

So name the teams in 3AD1 that you think would beat Woodville....

Yoakum, Wall, Brock, Cameron Yoe, Jefferson.... there is a few. Woodville has a good team but I don't think they are Top 10. I think they are close. Liberty is overrated. I've been saying that. Madisonville is much improved from last season. 

37 minutes ago, longball24 said:

Wow 3 rounds deep for Woodville sounds great. Next year will be the eagles year to possibly make it to the final game. This team is mainly juniors . The best is yet to come. I still believe they will be playing in round 4 but 3 rounds is good.

I count lots of seniors that start on this team. 3 round you run in to either Yoe, Malakoff or Teague depending on where they finish and Woodville wins the district 

2 hours ago, aTmfan06 said:

Yoakum, Wall, Brock, Cameron Yoe, Jefferson.... there is a few. Woodville has a good team but I don't think they are Top 10. I think they are close. Liberty is overrated. I've been saying that. Madisonville is much improved from last season. 

This is a much more logical list lol I'm not convinced Teague or Whitney beat Woodville this year.