Silsbee # 23 cheap hit on Jasper QB

T-daddy

20 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

That is in line with NCAA and UIL suspension policies.

Good.  And that is also probably the one game, going into it at least that you would least like to miss.  No matter what the outcome ends up, you would never want to miss a game against a defending 2 time state champion, that is a local "rival".

12 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Good.  And that is also probably the one game, going into it at least that you would least like to miss.  No matter what the outcome ends up, you would never want to miss a game against a defending 2 time state champion, that is a local "rival".

I prefer the player miss the WO-S game than any district game.

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I find it strange that the official is trying to save his arse by saying he didn't see anything when clearly in the video he looked the whole time. 

This is the hidden content, please

I agree the official needs some sort of punishment also. He probably should not be head official anyway. Nothing against him, but he is getting up in age and he should have definitely threw a flag. 

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I prefer the player miss the WO-S game than any district game.

I agree I mean as a player, it's the one game I would least like to miss. As a fan or coach it has little meaning so of course I would rather have him available for district. 

And i I guess I better clarify for some, it has little meaning, heck really no meaning, towards what you are striving for...a district title and the playoffs.  It is just another game to teach, measure where you are and try to gain something positive out of.

Guest ECBucFan
10 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

That is in line with NCAA and UIL suspension policies.

10 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

1 game suspension.

Thats probably about right. 

Now, had a player from Celina stomped on an opponents foot, (which is dirty of course but MUCH less dangerous than a blind side, hard concussive shot to the head)  some here would be screaming for immediate removal from the team and all athletics. suspension from school, complete scholarship removal, heavy monetary fines, immediate imprisonment in the TDC, and execution by lethal injection at sundown. 

Right? 

5 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

Thats probably about right. 

Now, had a player from Celina stomped on an opponents foot, (which is dirty of course but MUCH less dangerous than a hard shot to the head)  some here would be screaming for immediate removal from the team and all athletics. suspension from school, complete scholarship removal, heavy monetary fines, immediate imprisonment in the TDC, and execution by lethal injection at sundown. 

Right? 

Was there a question in there somewhere?

29 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

The bigger question surrounds the culture in Silsbee. It seems that every year there is something like this that happens within that athletic program. Jasper fight, LCM fight, this situation.....what's going on over there and how did it get like this?

This particular situation was not on Silsbee, this was on Jasper.

The other two....well..

18 minutes ago, T-daddy said:

1 game suspension is weak .. the jasper QB is in his senior year and will miss one game for sure maybe more... 

One of these articles the Jasper coach said the QB could miss the rest of the season. If that's the case I don't think the kid that made the hit should be allowed to play either. Hey, young men make mistakes. I'm sure the young man that made the hit would never have imagined that he could've potentially ended the Jasper QB career. But we all have to pay for our mistakes. That's life. 

Carthage has played Silsbee 4 out of the last 5 years in the playoffs. Carthage has won every meeting. A couple of them in blowouts. TBH I never saw anything out of the ordinary from Silsbee. A little chippyness or maybe a couple late hits or extracurricular activity after the play. But nothing malicious. And that was against a team that has pretty much stopped every deep playoff run Silsbee has had. I don't live in the area, but I don't consider Silsbee FB program to be dirty. Now there has been some incidents that make you wonder what's going on with the fights and then this. But every program has things that happen that are embarrassing. Even Carthage. There has been a couple times where if there was video, people would've been screaming Carthage is a dirty program. It happens to the best of them. These are just kids. And kids make mistakes.

5 minutes ago, Dawgs12345 said:

Carthage has played Silsbee 4 out of the last 5 years in the playoffs. Carthage has won every meeting. A couple of them in blowouts. TBH I never saw anything out of the ordinary from Silsbee. A little chippyness or maybe a couple late hits or extracurricular activity after the play. But nothing malicious. And that was against a team that has pretty much stopped every deep playoff run Silsbee has had. I don't live in the area, but I don't consider Silsbee FB program to be dirty. Now there has been some incidents that make you wonder what's going on with the fights and then this. But every program has things that happen that are embarrassing. Even Carthage. There has been a couple times where if there was video, people would've been screaming Carthage is a dirty program. It happens to the best of them. These are just kids. And kids make mistakes.

Thank you for a honest and true post.  

1 hour ago, Dawgs12345 said:

One of these articles the Jasper coach said the QB could miss the rest of the season. If that's the case I don't think the kid that made the hit should be allowed to play either. Hey, young men make mistakes. I'm sure the young man that made the hit would never have imagined that he could've potentially ended the Jasper QB career. But we all have to pay for our mistakes. That's life. 

i think 1 game is weak and it is my opinion that the uil will add to that

On 9/16/2017 at 6:51 PM, BMTSoulja1 said:

My first time seeing the video and I missed that part of the play initially when it happened...

I have an explanation of why the ref probably didn't throw the flag.

#5 was hit while the play was going on.  It was a handoff, so the QB wasn't a QB at that point.  Technically, he was a potential blocker.  Ref looked right at it.  Technically, the play was wrong, but ref probably thought it was legal.

I consider it around the same situation when a QB throws and interception.  Most coaches tell their QB's when they throw an interception to either get to the sidelines or just lay down to prevent yourself from being a target.  Because we all know that in that play, the QB could be the difference in a pick 6 in that situation...  

Back to the play in question.  I believe had Silsbee's #23 had hit #5 the same way an instant after the handoff, we wouldn't even be talking about this.  

I can see where you're going with this, but the fact is it wasn't at the same instant. It was pre-meditated. He literally slows down, then speeds back up just to lay him out. Then, he looks around to see if anyone saw him. 

To me this hit was worthy of multiple games. Period.  I see very little difference between this action and the punch in the basketball game last season, with the exception being that this caused more damage to the player who received the cheap shot.  I guess because it's football, where people are supposed to get hit, the severity of the act is downplayed because in other situations on the field it would be a (maybe) legal play.  Not only did it play a large part in causing Jasper to lose the game, it cost the Jasper qb at least a game as well.  I'd be in favor of a two game suspension, with the option of extending it if the Jasper qb is still unable to play for multiple games.