Trump and the financial markets

stevenash

The S&P 500  reached an all time high yesterday for the 32nd time in 2017.

The S&P 500® is widely regarded as the best single gauge of large-cap U.S. equities. There is over USD 7.8 trillion benchmarked to the index, with index assets comprising approximately USD 2.2 trillion of this total. The index includes 500 leading companies and captures approximately 80% coverage of available market capitalization.

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

The S&P 500  reached an all time high yesterday for the 32nd time in 2017.

The S&P 500® is widely regarded as the best single gauge of large-cap U.S. equities. There is over USD 7.8 trillion benchmarked to the index, with index assets comprising approximately USD 2.2 trillion of this total. The index includes 500 leading companies and captures approximately 80% coverage of available market capitalization.

talk to me again about this in two years

Maybe that's why Tobie doesn't want to talk about it now.  He wants to wait until the cyclical economy turns down and then he can blame Trump and simultaneously tout the virtuous and effective 8 years of the Obama administration, the only administration in recent time to NEVER experience a 3% growth year during their term in power.

1 hour ago, westend1 said:

My retirement accounts did great under Obama.  Judging from the title of this thread, he should get all the credit.  Right?   You can fool some people with this bs, but not all.

My retirement accounts did great under Obama.  Judging from the title of this thread, he should get all the credit.  Right?   You can fool some people with this bs, but not all.

If you have plenty of equity markets exposure, your retirement account has done better in the last 9 months than it has in just about any 9 month period in quite a while.

Nice try westend.  Unfortunately for you, there is no BS when uttering facts.  What I stated were facts and no one is attempting to fool anybody about anything.  Facts are exactly what I stated and another fact is that the Dow Jones Industrial Average set another new high today.  If you want to call it fooling someone or call it BS, that's fine but the BS is the FACT that you cannot/will not acknowledge the UNDENIABLE FACTS that began this thread.  ( incidentally, most of what was gained during the prior 8 years was simply the recovery of what had been lost during the market decline of 2008.  If you want to know what your account really has earned, go back to 95 or 2000 and do the calculations on what the average annual return was.  I know you wont do that because it is easier to simply state that Mr. Obama is an economic guru which is quite laughable.

8 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Nice try westend.  Unfortunately for you, there is no BS when uttering facts.  What I stated were facts and no one is attempting to fool anybody about anything.  Facts are exactly what I stated and another fact is that the Dow Jones Industrial Average set another new high today.  If you want to call it fooling someone or call it BS, that's fine but the BS is the FACT that you cannot/will not acknowledge the UNDENIABLE FACTS that began this thread.  ( incidentally, most of what was gained during the prior 8 years was simply the recovery of what had been lost during the market decline of 2008.  If you want to know what your account really has earned, go back to 95 or 2000 and do the calculations on what the average annual return was.  I know you wont do that because it is easier to simply state that Mr. Obama is an economic guru which is quite laughable.

Market doubled in last 8 years.  If it does the same in the next 8, I will give Trump all the credit.

15 minutes ago, stevenash said:

If you have plenty of equity markets exposure, your retirement account has done better in the last 9 months than it has in just about any 9 month period in quite a while.

10 minutes ago, stevenash said:

than it has in just about any 9 month period in quite a while.

LOL.  Lots of qualifiers in there

2 hours ago, westend1 said:

Market doubled in last 8 years.  If it does the same in the next 8, I will give Trump all the credit.

Thats a fact that nash just won't acknowlege. He considers a man that has been bankrupt many times a financial guru. Cornelius Vanderbuilt, John D Rockafella, JP Morgan, Andrew Cornegie and even henry Ford would have eaten the little Trump boy for lunch. JP Morgan loaned the United States Government. Financial Gurus just don't have a history of bankrupcy. 

This is the hidden content, please

Maybe one of these guys should run for president 

4 minutes ago, six burg said:

Thats a fact that nash just won't acknowlege. He considers a man that has been bankrupt many times a financial guru. Cornelius Vanderbuilt, John D Rockafella, JP Morgan, Andrew Cornegie and even henry Ford would have eaten the little Trump boy for lunch. JP Morgan loaned the United States Government. Financial Gurus just don't have a history of bankrupcy. 

Let's get Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, Morgan, or Carnegie for President. They can then cut out overtime pay, cut out unions, increase the workweek to 60 hours, cut out sick time, family leave time, maternity and paternity leave, cut out vacation time, cut out 401k and medical benefits. They wouldn't have to worried about Affirmation Action, soft quotas, Civil Rights legislation, or any of the strangling EPA or Conservation legislation. They also wouldn't have to worry about anti-trust laws. The big corporations would then be free to earn obnoxious amounts of money without having to worry about the worker or the environment, just like in the time of their reign.

33 minutes ago, Englebert said:

Let's get Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, Morgan, or Carnegie for President. They can then cut out overtime pay, cut out unions, increase the workweek to 60 hours, cut out sick time, family leave time, maternity and paternity leave, cut out vacation time, cut out 401k and medical benefits. They wouldn't have to worried about Affirmation Action, soft quotas, Civil Rights legislation, or any of the strangling EPA or Conservation legislation. They also wouldn't have to worry about anti-trust laws. The big corporations would then be free to earn obnoxious amounts of money without having to worry about the worker or the environment, just like in the time of their reign.

Oops, he didn't think about that.

16 hours ago, westend1 said:

The market doubling in 8 years is the equivalent of a 9% annualized compounded return.  Since the historical average for stocks is around 10%, the last 8 years is slightly less than average.

14 hours ago, six burg said:

Please show me where Mr. Trump filed for personal bankruptcy-  After you have done that, please make note of the following people who had a bankruptcy in their history.  It's a fairly distinguished group:  Henry Ford, Walt Disney, Milton Hershey, H.J. Heinz, and ABRAHAM LINCOLN

6 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Please show me where Mr. Trump filed for personal bankruptcy-  After you have done that, please make note of the following people who had a bankruptcy in their history.  It's a fairly distinguished group:  Henry Ford, Walt Disney, Milton Hershey, H.J. Heinz, and ABRAHAM LINCOLN

Don't expect much of a response

14 hours ago, Englebert said:

Have you heard of any of Trumps employees bragging about how good it is to work for his sorry arse. People act as though Trumps wealth makes him good at handling the country's money. He isn't even in the top 20. Bill gates could by Trump and have his own personal clown. Would you want a man or company with a history of filing bankruptcy handling your 401k. Not my president. To disrespectful to people for no reason. Lies when the truth would be just fine.

14 hours ago, Englebert said:

Thats exactly what this administration is trying to do. Those guys were just so much richer and smarter than bozo the president. And they didn't have time to sit around insulting the American people 

30 minutes ago, new tobie said:

Thats exactly what this administration is trying to do. Those guys were just so much richer and smarter than bozo the president. And they didn't have time to sit around insulting the American people 

What makes you do productive? You have time to sit around insulting the president.

3 hours ago, new tobie said:

Have you heard of any of Trumps employees bragging about how good it is to work for his sorry arse. People act as though Trumps wealth makes him good at handling the country's money. He isn't even in the top 20. Bill gates could by Trump and have his own personal clown. Would you want a man or company with a history of filing bankruptcy handling your 401k. Not my president. To disrespectful to people for no reason. Lies when the truth would be just fine.

Yes, the Trump team has rolled out many, many employees bragging about how good it is to work for him. You are just limited to the knowledge that your Liberal handlers want you to hear. And your interpretation skills are severely lacking when judging people, so your analysis of Trump is worth less than garbage. You have a biased hate for Trump, and it is really laughable and sad that you are the only one that cannot see your clouded judgement. At least it is entertaining for us.

12 minutes ago, new tobie said:

You have been insulting a president since 2008. One thats been married to the same women and hasn't commented about dating his daughter

The same one that lied to your face about keeping your doctor and healthcare system. The same one that weaponized the EPA and IRS. The same one that spied on reporters and political rivals. But you conveniently forget and forgive him for that, but feel a searing bile spewing from you gut when Trump embellishes a golf score. Your hatred is so hypocritical and so comical.