Top High School Football teams of all time

AggiesAreWe

I certainly won't argue against any of the teams on this list, all are very deserving. I do think one team that has been overlooked over the years is Houston Stratford team of 1978. They outscored their opponents 532-149 (15 game season), held 9 of their 15 opponents to a touchdown or less (with most of their first team on the sidelines in the fourth quarter when the game was out of hand). In an era when only one team per district made the playoffs, 7 of their 15 wins were against district champions. Defeated 1975 state champion and 1977 state finalist Port Neches Groves in the regular season opener on the road, defeated 1976 state champ SA Churchill in the semi-finals, defeated 1977 state champ Plano in the finals, and defeated 1979 state finalist Houston Memorial in district play. Running back Craig James rushed for 2411 yards (a then Class 5A record), had two other backs rush for over 800 yards and quarterback Mark Gabrisch passed for over 1000 yards. Offense racked up over 7000 yards total that year. James appeared in a super bowl with the Patriots, and lineman Chuck Thomas appeared in two super bowls with the 49'ers. Overall this was a very solid "team" that I feel deserves to be considered for one of the greatest of all time.

2 hours ago, SFA85 said:

'83 Dangerfield's points for/allowed was 550-8.  If we would've beaten Sweeny, we would've gotten it handed to us big time.....

At one point in the late 80's early 90's there were 4 guys from Daingerfield simultaneously playing in the NFL. Thomas Everett, Eric Everett, Dave Whitmore, and David Mims. Think about that; 4 guys from a town of 2,000 playing in the NFL at once. 

The 1936 Hull-Daisetta Bobcats, who at the time, set the "National Record" with 43 straight consecutive victories without a loss.   

HD didn't lose a game during the seasons of 1936, 37, 38 and in 39, they finally lost the last game of the year vs Humble, the streak was broken at 43 wins in 44 games. 

So HD won 3 Titles in a row, during their "National Record" setting campaign. During the season of 1936, HD's defense shutout every team it faced, but one, giving up just 6 points to Beaumont French in the playoffs... The Bobcats arguably had one of the best defenses of all-time. Think about a team these days winning a Title and only giving up 6 points all year. The list of teams HD shut out will surprise you, teams like PNG, Dayton and Barbers Hill. The Bobcats only gave up 32 points all season in 1937, in 1938 they gave up 63 points, in 1939 they gave up 59 points total. What a dominate example of a defensive dynasty. If the 1956 Abilene team can be recognized on this list, there is no doubt this "National" record setting Hull-Daisetta Bobcat team should be on the list. 

This is the hidden content, please

10 hours ago, txprepfan said:

I certainly won't argue against any of the teams on this list, all are very deserving. I do think one team that has been overlooked over the years is Houston Stratford team of 1978. They outscored their opponents 532-149 (15 game season), held 9 of their 15 opponents to a touchdown or less (with most of their first team on the sidelines in the fourth quarter when the game was out of hand). In an era when only one team per district made the playoffs, 7 of their 15 wins were against district champions. Defeated 1975 state champion and 1977 state finalist Port Neches Groves in the regular season opener on the road, defeated 1976 state champ SA Churchill in the semi-finals, defeated 1977 state champ Plano in the finals, and defeated 1979 state finalist Houston Memorial in district play. Running back Craig James rushed for 2411 yards (a then Class 5A record), had two other backs rush for over 800 yards and quarterback Mark Gabrisch passed for over 1000 yards. Offense racked up over 7000 yards total that year. James appeared in a super bowl with the Patriots, and lineman Chuck Thomas appeared in two super bowls with the 49'ers. Overall this was a very solid "team" that I feel deserves to be considered for one of the greatest of all time.

Remember watching them at the Dome. Craig James literally did everything. If I remember correctly he played line backer when the other team got inside the 20 and also did some kicking. Not to mention a great high school running back who became part of the pony express.

9 hours ago, H-D BOBCAT 55 said:

The 1936 Hull-Daisetta Bobcats, who at the time, set the "National Record" with 43 straight consecutive victories without a loss.   

HD didn't lose a game during the seasons of 1936, 37, 38 and in 39, they finally lost the last game of the year vs Humble, the streak was broken at 43 wins in 44 games. 

So HD won 3 Titles in a row, during their "National Record" setting campaign. During the season of 1936, HD's defense shutout every team it faced, but one, giving up just 6 points to Beaumont French in the playoffs... The Bobcats arguably had one of the best defenses of all-time. Think about a team these days winning a Title and only giving up 6 points all year. The list of teams HD shut out will surprise you, teams like PNG, Dayton and Barbers Hill. The Bobcats only gave up 32 points all season in 1937, in 1938 they gave up 63 points, in 1939 they gave up 59 points total. What a dominate example of a defensive dynasty. If the 1956 Abilene team can be recognized on this list, there is no doubt this "National" record setting Hull-Daisetta Bobcat team should be on the list. 

1930's??? Cmon man!

8 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

1930's??? Cmon man!

1956 Abilene...? You have to admit, 6 points all year is amazing. Don't matter the year. That team may be the best 4 year Dynasty ever. Can any of these teams listed on the link, say they set a National Record? If you are a High School football fan, the 1936 HD team's story was very impressive.

On 9/14/2017 at 0:53 PM, H-D BOBCAT 55 said:

More importantly than any of that, how many horsemen played on that team??

On 9/14/2017 at 9:23 AM, Uncle Pig said:

At one point in the late 80's early 90's there were 4 guys from Daingerfield simultaneously playing in the NFL. Thomas Everett, Eric Everett, Dave Whitmore, and David Mims. Think about that; 4 guys from a town of 2,000 playing in the NFL at once. 

If you want to bring up the 90's I can't see another team than LaMarque! Those kids were nasty!! What was it? 5 straight SC games? I, unfortunately had to play against them twice in my years '95 and '97. They looked like grown a$$ men out there! I temebember Dwayne Goynes(sp?) looking like he ran a 2.4 40 time! Lol!!! Anyways, carry on, just thought I would mention the "we are LaMarque cougars hooohh" chant! 

On 9/15/2017 at 6:44 AM, H-D BOBCAT 55 said:

1956 Abilene...? You have to admit, 6 points all year is amazing. Don't matter the year. That team may be the best 4 year Dynasty ever. Can any of these teams listed on the link, say they set a National Record? If you are a High School football fan, the 1936 HD team's story was very impressive.

Agreed it's impressive, but the players and level of competition from that day in time??

17 hours ago, kicker 2.0 said:

If you want to bring up the 90's I can't see another team than LaMarque! Those kids were nasty!! What was it? 5 straight SC games? I, unfortunately had to play against them twice in my years '95 and '97. They looked like grown a$$ men out there! I temebember Dwayne Goynes(sp?) looking like he ran a 2.4 40 time! Lol!!! Anyways, carry on, just thought I would mention the "we are LaMarque cougars hooohh" chant! 

Now those LM teams from that era were something serious!! Not many compare to the recent Aledo and Lake Travis squads!