Ranked: Southeast Texas high school football coaching salaries

DannyShapiroBE

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

Danny, I assume that Harrison's $17,000 bump from yesterday to today was based upon you getting updated numbers rather than PAISD realizing in one day that it may be underpaying it's coach.

Kind of. The $81,000 is Harrison's base salary but he called and told me with bonuses and other stipends he's up to $98.000 annually. 

11 minutes ago, chorizo said:

Personally I don't think it's right to post salaries..really nobody's business what others make yearly..that's kind of personal..plus it doesn't do anything but cause problems between coaches and their school district!!!

Agreed. But we all know how the media likes to stir it up.............

42 minutes ago, chorizo said:

Personally I don't think it's right to post salaries..really nobody's business what others make yearly..that's kind of personal..plus it doesn't do anything but cause problems between coaches and their school district!!!

A lot of people will argue that it "public knowledge" and "I send my kids to that school so I deserve to know"

You spend money at the grocery store but aren't entitled to know what the managers salary is, you insure your car and house and boat and anything else you have but that doesn't mean you should know your agents salary. The list could go on and on. I agree, although these salaries are public knowledge that doesn't mean they need to be thrown out everywhere.

16 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

A lot of people will argue that it "public knowledge" and "I send my kids to that school so I deserve to know"

You spend money at the grocery store but aren't entitled to know what the managers salary is, you insure your car and house and boat and anything else you have but that doesn't mean you should know your agents salary. The list could go on and on. I agree, although these salaries are public knowledge that doesn't mean they need to be thrown out everywhere.

The difference in the comparison you made is a grocery store or any other retail entity is in the private sector, while schools are part of the public, government sector that is paid for by taxpayers. A taxpayer has a right.

Now, as far as I am concerned, the salaries are none of my concern. But, I would like to know how my school district is handling the money or in some cases mishandling the money that I and others pay into.

16 minutes ago, chorizo said:

Just my opinion,I know I know an opinion is like a _ _ _ _ everybody has one..lol...no biggie..just saying that's how things always cause problems.

Public employee knowledge, you can see teacher salaries as well.  Supt too

Surprise was Barrows and I am not too surprised at Vidor even though they lose often in the last 19 years  they luv them some bubba Mathews  He is the perfect fit for Vidor.

I doubt many on this Forum would agree, but jmo that a HC/AD can (should) teach a lot more than can be judged by wins and losses.  From everything I hear of Coach Matthews, he does that.  The main thing is, as Whoa pointed out, the folks in Vidor like him.  If they're happy, I'm happy for them.

Btw, I've watched Vidor teams in the past who wouldn't score 40 points in a season, and they did that 5 times last year.  And I recently saw, the King of the Pot Stirrers (who is no longer on this Forum) refer to them as the University of the Slot T.  Pretty high compliment from that PAM fan :) 

2 hours ago, chorizo said:

Hold up, where was all this concern when Carrol Thomas' raises was posted for public consumption?  Anyway, all people that work for tax payer's money, should get their salaries posted.  And I said ALL........  darnit.....

6 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Ozen head coach makes $80K per win.  Highest paid coach in SeTx.

But just so we're clear I wholeheartedly believe that a coach should NOT be judged on wins as to how good of a job they do.

Is all of SE Texas just the Pear Orchard now???  Or is map reading not your forte`?

Or

BISD has a base salary.  Remember, he did have a late start when not much of a staff #cantknockthehustle

Guest ECBucFan
3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

The difference in the comparison you made is a grocery store or any other retail entity is in the private sector, while schools are part of the public, government sector that is paid for by taxpayers. A taxpayer has a right.

Thank you. I tried to delineate the difference in public and private employment in my first post here, but it apparently flew over the head of most. Like I said, if a man takes a job as a public high school coach, he takes a public, high profile job and has to know what comes with it. If he needs anonymity, he should work for a private employer. Like I said, a plant job or construction would be examples. No one forces coaches to be coaches. 

FWIW, I don't think you can measure success of a coach just by a raw W-L record. Look at overall program trajectory, and playoff performance. A 6-4 record and a first round loss at Warren would be fantastic, while a 7-3 record at WO-S and a first round loss would be catastrophic. Better programs should perform.  

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:43 PM, Stattrax said:

Now, everyone knows I am not on the B.F. bandwagon..... But man.......... P.N.G.I.S.D. should be ashamed of themselves.....

Playing SETX Football, GREAT!  Rivalries that have gone on for decades, AWESOME!

Victories over teams whose head coach makes more than yours, PRICELESS!!!

Faircloth is worth "MORE" than every penny (even if it is the third most in the area) & his salary is not the guide to his love of the players at PNG!!!

20 hours ago, Whoa said:

Public employee knowledge, you can see teacher salaries as well.  Supt too

Surprise was Barrows and I am not too surprised at Vidor even though they lose often in the last 19 years  they luv them some bubba Mathews  He is the perfect fit for Vidor.

Barrows is a first year coach. Neumann was making much more but he was there for 24 years.   This is just the base salary not including stipends.

On 9/14/2017 at 11:16 PM, Vpirate02 said:

Stipends? Like bonuses?

Sort of.    Coaches with the exception of ADs are teachers and then coaches and get a stipend on top of thier teaching salary. Head coaches and ADs get a stipend as well, especially if they coach more than one sport.