Diboll at Newton

EaglesFootball

1 hour ago, bd04 said:

Being a Newton fan, I have always been confused as to why Newton doesn't play a stronger pre-district schedule. There for a couple of years we played an outside team (Tatum) and that was nice to see but besides that its always seemed to be weaker big schools. I have heard that when Coach Barbay was alive, teams would turn him down when he asked about playing for fear of being beat by a small school . Anyone have any insight on this? Just wish we didn't play the same ole schools every year. Regardless , still an Eagle fan.

Travel time/expense ect ect is tough on a district like Newton, is my guess

1 hour ago, bd04 said:

Being a Newton fan, I have always been confused as to why Newton doesn't play a stronger pre-district schedule. There for a couple of years we played an outside team (Tatum) and that was nice to see but besides that its always seemed to be weaker big schools. I have heard that when Coach Barbay was alive, teams would turn him down when he asked about playing for fear of being beat by a small school . Anyone have any insight on this? Just wish we didn't play the same ole schools every year. Regardless , still an Eagle fan.

Silsbee and new Bridge City are good teams and Diboll might be better than we think. It is hard to keep scheduling  West-Orange Starks when your enrollment keeps dropping yearly.  I like us playing up 1/2 our pre-dist. games but playing all bigger schools can get you pretty banged up.JMO

11 hours ago, bd04 said:

Newton has a hard time playing the Nederlands, PNG, teams like that now because of the lower level stuff we just don't have enough kids on the lower levels to compete with all their kids. WT does try and play up as much as possible but its hard to get teams to play Newton because they don't want to take a chance of getting beat by a smaller school. He gets as many bigger schools as possible but sometimes you think a team is going to be good but they end up not being very good it is what it is. It's not that they don't want to play the bigger schools sometimes it just can't be done. We always play our level or bigger every year we will never play a team smaller than us in non district ever. 

Larger schools have nothing to win and everything to lose by playing a school one third their size.  We should consider ourselves lucky that some larger schools will play us.  It's sure not for the money. It has to be out of the respect other coaches had for Coach Barbary and now for Coach Johnston.