Jim Hick's RCSSports HoopsGiving Classic

AggiesAreWe

9 minutes ago, DXTR said:

I can agree with this. I would add that Memorial looked real good and Cy Falls was head and shoulders better than any team there. On a completely different level. 

I agree on Falls.  Wagner may have been the second best team there.  Agree on Memorial as well.  I think we have two teams (at least) who will be regional favorites at least with them and Silsbee.   I am anxious see EC up close and personal next week to see what the Bucs look like this year. 

10 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I agree on Falls.  Wagner may have been the second best team there.  Agree on Memorial as well.  I think we have two teams (at least) who will be regional favorites at least with them and Silsbee.   I am anxious see EC up close and personal next week to see what the Bucs look like this year. 

Yep...although Yates didn’t look so good at times, that relentless pressure and 32 player bench should get them to the regional finals again. 

Yes, I finally got to see the Cy Falls team.  They were very impressive.  Lots of hustle.  They can shoot.  SA Wagner, not so much.  Tra Wesley is a top pg. I don't know his rank; it has to be high.   Things were getting testy between him and Wagner pg Jalen Jackson.  A few times it looked like Wagner would get back into the game but Andrew Nguyen would hit a three from the corner.  One particular sequence Cy Falls big guy blocked two shots in a row under the bucket.  When they got back to the other end Tra Wesley threw him a entry pass to the post, and the big guy hit a jumper.  Nice team play.  

39 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

Those local polls that say Silsbee is # 1 in the golden triangle, ion k.  Luv my Tigers, but Memorial looks very good, very big and athletic.   Are Silsbee & PA Memorial scheduled to play a game this season?  That was the first time I've seen a PA b-ball team in person since Lincoln.

No but silsbee plays Ozen and Central.  As far as Silsbee and Memorial, tough for me to say without seeing Silsbee at full strength.   But Memorial looked, very, very good.  And they could actually pick up a football player or two.  

50 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

No but silsbee plays Ozen and Central.  As far as Silsbee and Memorial, tough for me to say without seeing Silsbee at full strength.   But Memorial looked, very, very good.  And they could actually pick up a football player or two.  

They will pick up Valsin. He is "starter" caliber.

4 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

I understand Silsbee was missing some role players, however many that may be. But they still have 3 future D1 players that did play.

Yes they did.  But maybe only 4 total that will see significant minutes.  Tough to match up with a battle-tested team playing its 18th game of the season in your first game with less than half of your players.  A lot of folks thought Concordia would blow them out.  Impressed but not surprised by Silsbee’s effort.   

Funny side note:  was talking to a mix of non-SETX folks at start of Silsbee game.  Told them that I thought Silsbee had the perfect coach in Sigler was to handle to all the talent it’s blessed with.  One responded, “I would guess so.  Who is talking back to that man???  He scares me and I’m a grown a$& man!” Pretty funny

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Yes they did.  But maybe only 4 total that will see significant minutes.  Tough to match up with a battle-tested team playing its 18th game of the season in your first game with less than half of your players.  A lot of folks thought Concordia would blow them out.  Impressed but not surprised by Silsbee’s effort.   

I think a lot of people included Jim Hicks by some of his tweets directed at us.

2 hours ago, Who That said:

Great game by Silsbee Lite. Barnes will be a very big pick up for Silsbee once he gets back hopefully from Dallas .  One game at a time now it's time for Atascocita another 6A school to battle with Saturday. Go eat Tigers :)

I was thinking of Barnes last night watching Yates.  He should have a lot of “finishing opportunities” at the backend of that Lion press.  

6 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I was thinking of Barnes last night watching Yates.  He should have a lot of “finishing opportunities” at the backend of that Lion press.  

Barnes has a little "pay back" from that regional final against Yates last year. He got in early foul trouble and ended up fouling out scoring just 4 points if I remember correctly. 3 of those foul calls were pretty bogus.

HC's pg Sahvir Wheeler was strong against the Yates press.  Dude has an unbelievable motor.  Coach Wise had that deep bench and unlimited fouls and he was working Sahvir over constantly.  The refs did not see a lot of those fouls.   Sahvir was always looking over the court and hitting Miller Koop under the rim, by himself for two points.  Sahvir will be hard to replace next season when he goes to Tx A&m.  I think he's a Sr this year.  Seems like he's been there a good four years.

20 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

HC's pg Sahvir Wheeler was strong against the Yates press.  Dude has an unbelievable motor.  Coach Wise had that deep bench and unlimited fouls and he was working Sahvir over constantly.  The refs did not see a lot of those fouls.   Sahvir was always looking over the court and hitting Miller Koop under the rim, by himself for two points.  Sahvir will be hard to replace next season when he goes to Tx A&m.  I think he's a Sr this year.  Seems like he's been there a good four years.

He’s a junior.   Not sure he translates to the level of basketball A&M plays.  They have 3 PGs on the roster this year that are quite a bit better.   To me, the junior Pg from Wagner looked much more like a high D1 guard.   But Wheeler was impressive against that press.  But to be honest, any strong Hs guard will. 

14 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Austin Westlake is big. I've never seen a high school team, in person, with that much height.  Maybe a team with good guard play can chop them down. We will see.

Yates has 17 players.  They were constantly pressing HC pg Sahvir.  Actually they were fouling him most of the time but the refs let them play.  Miller Koop for HC is playing more aggressive than I've seen in the past. 

Now that it is over I have to tip my hat to Concordia.  That's the best shooting team I've seen in a long time. I don't know who their shooting instructor is but he, or she, probably he, is doing a fantastic job. His jump shot is going to take Hellums a long way.  They will pay him good money in the NBA for a shot like that, probably pay him good in college too, lol.  That's a nice team.  Kudos to the Silsbee Tigers for keeping it respectfully close.  Could the full strength Tigers beat them?  Maybe.  We will probably never know.  Good thing is it really doesn't matter.

I have seen Westlake play a few Austin area teams and no team has come close.   It looks like Katy Thopkins had a similar result.  Not much talk on here other than they are big.  I was curious to hear from anyone who was there yesterday how they may stack up against the other elite teams in Houston area.  Sounds like they would not be able to keep up with Cy or Concordia. Thoughts from attendees 

25 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

He’s a junior.   Not sure he translates to the level of basketball A&M plays.  They have 3 PGs on the roster this year that are quite a bit better.   To me, the junior Pg from Wagner looked much more like a high D1 guard.   But Wheeler was impressive against that press.  But to be honest, any strong Hs guard will. 

I was sitting with some Silsbee people and I said that Jalen Jackson was a difference maker when Wagner beat Silsbee in the tournament last year.  They argued that it was the 6'10"(it's amazing how height gets hyped out of proportion)  post who made the difference.  I agree but when 6'9" Tristan Clark fouled out there was hope that Silsbee's press could get something done, but Jalen Jackson wasn't having any of that.  TBH I was nowhere near SA at the time.  I was in Houston listening via AAWs app.  Some say Tristan Clark is 6'8".  The truth is out there somewhere.   I need to see SA Wagner play again.  I was so busy being homer & rooting for Cy Falls until I didn't really appreciate Jalen Jackson's game.