Jim Hick's RCSSports HoopsGiving Classic

AggiesAreWe

Concordia is in our district. Played them close both games last year but will really struggle this year after losing all 5 of our starters. Hellums is and will be the best shooter on the floor all year in any game. Silsbee should come away from this one feeling good. Thats a great showing against a very good, well coached, disciplined team. 

30 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

CL was 13/28 three's, 46.4%

Silsbee was 14/42 three's, 33.3%

Silsbee took 72 total shots with 42 of them three point attempts. Don't particularly care for that high of percentage of total shots being three's.

jmo

But most were not real good looks. 

Concordia was way out but still getting solid looks almost every time.

1 hour ago, Silsbee92 said:

jmo

But most were not real good looks. 

Concordia was way out but still getting solid looks almost every time.

Your opinion is correct.  Saw only the first quarter but about half a dozen 3PA were “bad looks.”  Got no problem with Silsbee shooters taking open shots, 3s or not but no reason to force one.  All in all, my takeaway from today is Silsbee is still the prohibitive favorite to win Region 3.   They will get tested along the way but at full strength, they should be the best 4A team in the region.  But they have to put in the work and play as a team to finish there.  

Austin Westlake is big. I've never seen a high school team, in person, with that much height.  Maybe a team with good guard play can chop them down. We will see.

Yates has 17 players.  They were constantly pressing HC pg Sahvir.  Actually they were fouling him most of the time but the refs let them play.  Miller Koop for HC is playing more aggressive than I've seen in the past. 

Now that it is over I have to tip my hat to Concordia.  That's the best shooting team I've seen in a long time. I don't know who their shooting instructor is but he, or she, probably he, is doing a fantastic job. His jump shot is going to take Hellums a long way.  They will pay him good money in the NBA for a shot like that, probably pay him good in college too, lol.  That's a nice team.  Kudos to the Silsbee Tigers for keeping it respectfully close.  Could the full strength Tigers beat them?  Maybe.  We will probably never know.  Good thing is it really doesn't matter.

I was there last night as well and here is my take away. MCCAIN has put on an extra 15-20lbs. Not sure if he is trying bulk up some. Concordia can almost out shoot any team in the state. #10 Hellums is always on automatic. Silsbee shot far too many 3s. We shot a ot of quick 3s when I think we could have took it to the hoop on most. Bush and Adams can shoot with anyone and McCain is solid rebounding. I would like to see him shooting more. He nailed his only 3 pointer. #1 Cartwright is a solid freshman and #30 is decent down low working the boards. Great effort last night and we had the lead a few times in the 3rd qtr. I think when you add Barnes, Bass, Thomas, Lowe, and Martin, Silsbee will be able to go 8 or 9 deep. I look forward to watching them in the Cy Fair Tourney in early December. 

1 hour ago, aTmfan06 said:

Probably not being scared of anything. Just doing what they are good at.

That last part was partly toungue in cheek.  My broadcast was acting up and I missed the start of the 4th but when it came back on the Tigers had scored 6 straight and they were in the spread obviously avoiding most shots.

6 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

I was there last night as well and here is my take away. MCCAIN has put on an extra 15-20lbs. Not sure if he is trying bulk up some. Concordia can almost out shoot any team in the state. #10 Hellums is always on automatic. Silsbee shot far too many 3s. We shot a ot of quick 3s when I think we could have took it to the hoop on most. Bush and Adams can shoot with anyone and McCain is solid rebounding. I would like to see him shooting more. He nailed his only 3 pointer. #1 Cartwright is a solid freshman and #30 is decent down low working the boards. Great effort last night and we had the lead a few times in the 3rd qtr. I think when you add Barnes, Bass, Thomas, Newton, and Martin, Silsbee will be able to go 8 or 9 deep. I look forward to watching them in the Cy Fair Tourney in early December. 

Newton ??????

1 hour ago, Kountzer said:

Austin Westlake is big. I've never seen a high school team, in person, with that much height.  Maybe a team with good guard play can chop them down. We will see.

Yates has 17 players.  They were constantly pressing HC pg Sahvir.  Actually they were fouling him most of the time but the refs let them play.  Miller Koop for HC is playing more aggressive than I've seen in the past. 

Now that it is over I have to tip my hat to Concordia.  That's the best shooting team I've seen in a long time. I don't know who their shooting instructor is but he, or she, probably he, is doing a fantastic job. His jump shot is going to take Hellums a long way.  They will pay him good money in the NBA for a shot like that, probably pay him good in college too, lol.  That's a nice team.  Kudos to the Silsbee Tigers for keeping it respectfully close.  Could the full strength Tigers beat them?  Maybe.  We will probably never know.  Good thing is it really doesn't matter.

Same “shooting” trainer has worked with Knox Hellums (Pepperdine) & Pierce Hellums, and Miller Kopp & Anderson Kopp.   His dad was behind me during the Yates game.  Told him his son must be good at what he does.  Anderson Kopp is easily a better shooter than his older brother as well.  

I've said this before, and I know I am just an arm chair message board coach, but it would be nice if a good shooting instructor could work with the young basketballers in Silsbee.   I know it would not be free. Nothing worth anything is.  Investment in such training would pay off big time in the long run for the player and the team. 

These players grow up and learn the game on their own, and they develop bad, un-fundamental shooting habits.  Often they overcome it with athleticism.  Good shooting fundamentals, and fundamentals in general, plus athleticism, and some good growth DNA equals players the caliber of the great MJ...maybe.

2 hours ago, Kountzer said:

I can agree with this. I would add that Memorial looked real good and Cy Falls was head and shoulders better than any team there. On a completely different level.